Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.5/10 for T2 isn't a bad score at all JAWS. The way you refer to it generally in a not so positive manner made me think you'd score it lower.

As for Wor Gar saying a few of us are wearing blinders with regard Genisys - hey, all along I've said that even I won't trust my own first reaction. I liked T3 when I first saw it and now I hate it. So my disclaimer was already in.

I give T2 a hard time because of fans who think its such a perfect action/sci fi film :). I like it overall. I have my issues with it. But by the end of the film I am happy with the film I just watched.

I remember when it was released and the huge hype. I was already a Huge T1 fan but after I saw it I was let down by what was basically a remake. But the director's cut was a huge improvement and I have come to enjoy the film for what it is.

I really liked T3 the first time I saw it also. It has worn off on me. I hate the actor who plays John and some of the humour is DOA but the Action is still pretty good and thus I can rewatch it with no problem.

T4 needed a better/bigger climax. If it had that I would rate it higher.

TG was a mess from start to finish.

So A-Dev.. I did not read back far enough... Did you enjoy the film overall??

I knew all of you were lying about this film and how it is satisfactory maybe even good. You all have your 'Superman Returns' blinders on again.

BTW JAWS, no way TS is a 6. No more than a 5 just for the cycle-nators alone.

TS is a -1 T3 is a 2 maybe a 3

If you got to see these in the theaters depends on your age... But 1982 is a monster year for Summer movies.

Star Trek II
Poltergeist
The Thing
Rocky III
The Road Warrior
Conan the Barbarian
E.T.
Blade Runner

even Tron :)

I was thinking '82 at first but defaulted to the often hyped '89. But yes, '82 had some awesome movies and was a very rich year. I liked Tron back then. I thought I saw the future of filmmaking.

T3: loved the idea of a female terminator -- thought she should have been more manic and wild like a banshee rather than just another stalking Robert Patrick. Also felt the action scenes were ruined with humor beats and Wile E Coyote sound effects.

TS is a -1 T3 is a 2 maybe a 3

I don't give negative ratings... 1 - 10 is where they fall. Having said that.. I stand by TS - 2 rating.. might fall to a 1.5.. But I usually save the .5 - 1 ratings for Batman and Robin type awfulness.

I guess I could give a 0 but that would be films I never think to waist my time on (Sci/fi channel stuff)

T3 will always get more credit from me for having well staged action scenes. In fact I like the action in T3 better then the Action in T2.. I have always said if the action from t3 was put in T2 (minus the humor) then T2 might rival the brilliance of T1. Not that the action was so great in T1. It's just that the story/feel/plot was so much better that it did not need huge action set pieces.

All of this is IMO of course :)

I do, when the movie is that bad I feel like it deserves a negative rating :lol well I see your point but I never really care about the action scenes T1 doesn't really have good action scenes but it doesn't need them, and it's still the best imo

I do, when the movie is that bad I feel like it deserves a negative rating :lol well I see your point but I never really care about the action scenes T1 doesn't really have good action scenes but it doesn't need them, and it's still the best imo

I wouldn't say it does not have good action scenes... Tech Noir is good and the Police station raid is a classic.

That movie takes it's time to build the characters so I consider those good moments/scenes not "good action scenes" I have T2 for the action scenes

I was thinking '82 at first but defaulted to the often hyped '89. But yes, '82 had some awesome movies and was a very rich year. I liked Tron back then. I thought I saw the future of filmmaking.

T3: loved the idea of a female terminator -- thought she should have been more manic and wild like a banshee rather than just another stalking Robert Patrick. Also felt the action scenes were ruined with humor beats and Wile E Coyote sound effects.

I would say 82 wins easily since many of them are now considered classics. Blade Runner and The Thing usually rated in the top 10 of their genres. Star Trek II is still considered the best of the Trek films. E.T. is a family classic. Poltergeist is considered on of the best Haunted house / ghost flicks. Conan the Barbarian was the best of it's kind until LotR came along.

Batman 89 - Classic by many (not me) but was without question a trend setter

The Others are good films but not in the same league as the above mentioned 82 films..

In my, and most 10 ten lists, opinion anyways :)

T3 action was ruined by some poor humor moments.. That's for sure.

That movie takes it's time to build the characters so I consider those good moments/scenes not "good action scenes" I have T2 for the action scenes

But it still has great action scenes. And because it has great characters the action scenes (while technically inferior) were so great.

IMO nothing in T2 was as good as the Police station Raid... That scene is just pure cool and bad assness!

But it still has great action scenes. And because it has great characters the action scenes (while technically inferior) were so great.

IMO nothing in T2 was as good as the Police station Raid... That scene is just pure cool and bad assness!

:exactly: you said it yourself

This is where I have a problem with this franchise after T1...he's a killer robot and shouldn't be anywhere near cuddly, reprogrammed or not.

For me the best moment in Genisys (I'm pretty sure that stupid ****ing name contributed to nobody seeing this film more than the marketing division would ever wish to admit) was more or less the same as the best moment in Salvation: the T-800 endoskeleton. I thought the ending of Salvation when the T-800 prototype goes to town on John Connor was by far and away the best part of the film - tense, edgy, genuinely frightening at points (like when it's speaking with Kyle's voice). Likewise I thought the single best part of Genisys was when the T-1000 reactivates the original T-800 and it's chasing Reese through the derelict building.

I feel like in their desperate need to one-up the spectacle of the T-1000, the producers, writers and directors of all these sequels lost sight of one very important detail - namely, that the T-800 as a bad guy is goddamn terrifying. Spend more than a few minutes thinking about it and it's an existential nightmare: a nigh-indestructible murderous super-strong metal skeleton wrapped in human flesh capable of blending completely undetectably into crowds of other human beings and that absolutely will not stop hunting its target, ever, until they're dead or it's somehow completely destroyed. Throw in the time travel angle and its targets won't be able to find help anywhere because no-one would believe their story.

You don't need anything scarier than that. You can't come up with anything scarier than that.

I feel like in their desperate need to one-up the spectacle of the T-1000, the producers, writers and directors of all these sequels lost sight of one very important detail - namely, that the T-800 as a bad guy is goddamn terrifying. Spend more than a few minutes thinking about it and it's an existential nightmare: a nigh-indestructible murderous super-strong metal skeleton wrapped in human flesh capable of blending completely undetectably into crowds of other human beings and that absolutely will not stop hunting its target, ever, until they're dead or it's somehow completely destroyed. Throw in the time travel angle and its targets won't be able to find help anywhere because no-one would believe their story.

You don't need anything scarier than that. You can't come up with anything scarier than that.

T1,2,3 & to a degree 4 all had Terminators that were a threat. They threw everything at them but they just kept coming. It felt like the heroes were up against impossible odds. You never get that vibe in Genesis. They were blowing through Terminators left and right. Even the John Connor Terminator which should have been the baddest ever was dealt with relatively easily.

T1,2,3 & to a degree 4 all had Terminators that were a threat. They threw everything at them but they just kept coming. It felt like the heroes were up against impossible odds. You never get that vibe in Genesis. They were blowing through Terminators left and right. Even the John Connor Terminator which should have been the baddest ever was dealt with relatively easily.

I don't know, I never saw the TX as threatening. Not blaming the actress for that, rather bad directing and writing. It constantly feels like nothing whatsoever is going to happen to Kate and John because the plot dictates they both have to live, and telegraphs that fact at every opportunity. Terminator Salvation's also guilty of that, even though I felt the showdown with the T-800 prototype was better than anything in Terminator 3 in that regard, it still does things it logically shouldn't (like throw John Connor down a stairwell to safety instead of, I don't know, punching clean through him or tearing his head off at the neck) for the sake of plot convenience.

Everything from the T-1000 onwards felt, to me at least, less threatening somehow because in the case of the T-1000 and TX they were much further removed from the realm of plausibility vs the T-800, and in the case of anything past the first two films incompetent writing and direction reducing the Terminators to the level of an incompetent slasher film villain. When I see the T-800 in T1, T2 and even the snippets of it in 4 and 5, it feels like something that could exist. It's neatly straddling that boundary of science fiction and realism, which is for me at least what makes it so nightmarish in ways the mercury man or blue LED woman just couldn't be.

As to the Connor/T-3000 thing in Genisys - it gets wrecked by an MRI machine at one point, not exactly menacing. Actually, come to think of it, if it's held together by magnetism and the magnetic field of the unfinished time machine in 2017 destroys it, how did it make it back to the 90's from 2029 in the first place?

I don't know, I never saw the TX as threatening. Not blaming the actress for that, rather bad directing and writing. It constantly feels like nothing whatsoever is going to happen to Kate and John because the plot dictates they both have to live, and telegraphs that fact at every opportunity. Terminator Salvation's also guilty of that, even though I felt the showdown with the T-800 prototype was better than anything in Terminator 3 in that regard, it still does things it logically shouldn't (like throw John Connor down a stairwell to safety instead of, I don't know, punching clean through him or tearing his head off at the neck) for the sake of plot convenience.

Everything from the T-1000 onwards felt, to me at least, less threatening somehow because in the case of the T-1000 and TX they were much further removed from the realm of plausibility vs the T-800, and in the case of anything past the first two films incompetent writing and direction reducing the Terminators to the level of an incompetent slasher film villain. When I see the T-800 in T1, T2 and even the snippets of it in 4 and 5, it feels like something that could exist. It's neatly straddling that boundary of science fiction and realism, which is for me at least what makes it so nightmarish in ways the mercury man or blue LED woman just couldn't be.

As to the Connor/T-3000 thing in Genisys - it gets wrecked by an MRI machine at one point, not exactly menacing. Actually, come to think of it, if it's held together by magnetism and the magnetic field of the unfinished time machine in 2017 destroys it, how did it make it back to the 90's from 2029 in the first place?

Original terminator seemed like a major threat... T-1000 I thought made a great villain but was not as scary as original... I think the reason for all of this is that Arnold was in between the T-1000 and it's prey... You knew Arnold was a hero... It just took away some of the suspense. Same goes for 3.

Now TS had a great moment with the terminator going after John in the Chopper (after the crash) and the t-800 going after the John and Kyle.

To me the other thing missing from TG is the sense of impending doom... The other films had that... This film was far to light and fancy free.

I give T2 a hard time because of fans who think its such a perfect action/sci fi film :).

Hey! Sort of like the people that think that T1 is the perfect horror/B movie or that JAWS is the perfect blockbuster!

... fancy free.

Never a great description for a Terminator movie of any kind.

And JAWS is the perfect blockbuster machine.

And I'm glad someone finally called Terminator what it is: a great sci-fi HORROR movie. It's bones are built on the slasher film. That's why it doesn't have a great action sequence. It's scary -- not super-charged. I think because T2 was to Terminator like Aliens was to Alien, people think Terminator's roots are as an action film. But that's not correct. It's also why people get pissed when the Terminator is played for laughs.

In the case of Aliens and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, I think it's unnecessary and childish to be purists for the first film. All four of them are good and respected, no reason to diss them just because fans revere the sequels with great enthusiasm.

In the case of Aliens and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, I think it's unnecessary and childish to be purists for the first film. All four of them are good and respected, no reason to diss them just because fans revere the sequels with great enthusiasm.

I love Alien, Aliens, T1 and T2. Let that be known. :lol

My point on your observation was that people somtimes forget where Terminator originally hails from because of the action-oriented T2. He was a monster before he became a hero before he became a comedian before he became old.

I remember when it was released and the huge hype. I was already a Huge T1 fan but after I saw it I was let down by what was basically a remake. But the director's cut was a huge improvement and I have come to enjoy the film for what it is.

I actually love the way T2 repeats certain beats from T1. I think it contributes to them being a really nice duology. I know we criticise ''homages'' in later films but when it was the original creator homaging his own first film, well, I thought it was cool.

So A-Dev.. I did not read back far enough... Did you enjoy the film overall??

I did, I even gave it a provisional 7/10. That was just rating my enjoyment of that first viewing. I will be surprised if I continue to rate the film so highly going forward, I mean I already have in mind all the things that will knock it down in the future.

T3 will always get more credit from me for having well staged action scenes. In fact I like the action in T3 better then the Action in T2..

See for me T3 is where the action started getting really cartoony, which continued in Terminator Genisys with that CGI helicopter chase.

Terminator Salvation's also guilty of that, even though I felt the showdown with the T-800 prototype was better than anything in Terminator 3 in that regard, it still does things it logically shouldn't (like throw John Connor down a stairwell to safety instead of, I don't know, punching clean through him or tearing his head off at the neck) for the sake of plot convenience.

This is actually what destroyed that whole final battle for me. The T-800 had numerous opportunities to instantly kill John Connor - a real machine would have taken the first chance it got to deliver a killer blow like Terminators do to anyone who isn't their primary target. I think they expected us to excuse a little too much in this sequence. They should have written the scene differently so that John was always out of reach.

Did that thing Arnie had on his hand have something to do with it? Maybe it disrupted T-Connor's ability to fool the time-displacement machine.

Original terminator seemed like a major threat... T-1000 I thought made a great villain but was not as scary as original... I think the reason for all of this is that Arnold was in between the T-1000 and it's prey... You knew Arnold was a hero... It just took away some of the suspense. Same goes for 3.

Now TS had a great moment with the terminator going after John in the Chopper (after the crash) and the t-800 going after the John and Kyle.

To me the other thing missing from TG is the sense of impending doom... The other films had that... This film was far to light and fancy free.

Certainly once Terminator protectors came in the films lost a sense of fear. With T2 you at least had what was at the time a novelty - the first time we'd seen a Terminator reprogrammed as a protector - it also enabled some ante-uppage with the action because a Terminator protector could do things Reese could not.

With T3 both the fear and the novelty were gone and needless to say so were they gone in T:G.

T2 still had an overall sense of doom - a few things brought that:

the T-800's music theme (notably not the usual DUNDUN DUN DUNDUN that they roll out at every opportunity in Genisys)

Also this:

T2 had humour but none of it took away from stuff like this^

The problem with T3 and T:G is they continued with the humour but there was too much of it and they had no sense of when it was appropriate to use it. You'd have comedy in the middle of an action scene where you're supposed to be on the edge of your seat. There comes a point where it's no longer comic relief and you're basically making a sit-com.

Hey! Sort of like the people that think that T1 is the perfect horror/B movie or that JAWS is the perfect blockbuster!

I love Alien, Aliens, T1 and T2. Let that be known. :lol

My point on your observation was that people somtimes forget where Terminator originally hails from because of the action-oriented T2. He was a monster before he became a hero before he became a comedian before he became old.

Absolutely, it even annoys me that 'goodie' jokey Terminator became the default scenario just because it was really successful once.

Back