Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spin here is ****ing hilarious.

John Carter's total American box office gross was 73 million -
Total Lifetime Grosses - 112 days

Domestic: $73,078,100 25.7%
+ Foreign: $211,061,000 74.3%

= Worldwide: $284,139,100

So Terminator Genisys does that in two weeks means they are equivalent failures? LOL, can you spin that any harder?
There's also 100 days between these numbers.

I realise many of you have much invested in seeing this fail, but do you have to make **** up?
I saw it and enjoyed it. Believe it or not there's lots of us who actually do.

Calm down Tex. You're jumping to conclusions. You go find me a post where I'm hoping for the failure of this movie. I was simply looking at the box office earnings as reported on Box Office Mojo and comparing second weekend cumulative earnings.

Calm down Tex. You're jumping to conclusions. You go find me a post where I'm hoping for the failure of this movie. I was simply looking at the box office earnings as reported on Box Office Mojo and comparing second weekend cumulative earnings.

I've been doing a little amateur analysis of the Genisys numbers and the prognosis is... not good.

Only 30% of its total gross has come from domestic ticket sales, so the studio's looking at a decent cut of about $69 million. Foreign sales have accounted for 70% of the gross, coming in at around $156 million - unfortunately the studio will see maybe 10-25% of that by territory thanks to international distribution deals. So vs a production budget of $155 million - not including marketing costs - things aren't looking good.

On top of that, there's only a handful of territories where it has yet to be released, and none of them are large enough to significantly impact on the final gross - Terminator Genisys :: Global Sites & Release Dates - also as that link demonstrates, this film does not seem to be in the running for a mainland China release (possibly because time travel movies and TV series were outlawed there in 2011), so that's not going to save this film either.

Finally, the film's experienced a not inconsiderable 49% drop in ticket sales from its first weekend to its second - and the first weekend wasn't strong to begin with, opening a distant third at the box office.

The TL;DR? Stick a fork in this film, it's done.

Unlike John Carter, mentioned above, this has been out in all major territories where it was slated for release for the better part of two weeks and no-one wants to see it except maybe Japan. Obviously no-one's saying anything yet because it still hasn't officially finished its run but give it two weeks and heads are going to start rolling over this film's performance. Paramount just lost a lot of money on this.

I doubt Cameron will touch it when he gets the rights back. Entirely a formality there, he's not gonna give a ***t at that point, he doesn't care now. What would be left to make. It goes back to what we were saying about Genisys. This film kinda kills interest in the future war story that everyone wanted to see and the time travel thing has been beaten to a pulp at this stage. He won't be arsed with this by the time he owns the rights again.
Uh, Terminator vs. Avatar.

I really had no desire to see this but my GF is forcing me so we're going tonight. The only comfort I found in skimming the last few pages is that it's better than 3 & 4

if was a casual sci-fi movie then it could been nice
but we are speaking about a terminator movie with a sarah connor call a t-800 DAD father ? wtf...

I think it's more interesting than those films for what it dares to do. T3 was nothing but a T2 rehash whose message amounted to ''judgement day is inevitable''...it really said nothing more than that and it wasn't particularly fun in the saying of it. T4 didn't have the sense to be a proper telling of the future war and wasted time making up new ***t just to needlessly stretch it out to 3 films.

At least Genisys shows some of those key future war events and then tries to change things up with a new inter-dimensional plot (going beyond the usual time travel) and it tries to show a ''might have been scenario'' if Uncle Bob had survived beyond T2 - not necessarily a direction I wanted to see, I really feel it put the final nail in the coffin of the T-800 Terminator as an intimidating character, he was a parody through and through in this film and probably will remain so if they make more - but at least it was an attempt at..... character development I suppose. Also I like that it explained the changing strategy of Skynet, how a talkative and personable machine might be something Skynet would attempt after all its previous failures - particularly by taking advantage of John Connor himself. At least somewhat interesting.

Just to clarify... T2 is nothing but a rehash of T1 whose message amounted to "The Future is not set" ;) :)

Anyways... I just got back from finally seeing it.. I really was not that excited to see it. Expectations were low... Other then the trailer, which I thought looked bad, I really read nothing about this film. Basically had no hopes at all.

And TG did not disappoint.. It was as bad as it looked in all the trailers... Even low expectations could not save this film. How can a film that tries so hard to remind us of earlier greatness fail at even feeling like a terminator film?

Kyle Reese... Ruined. Kyle + Sarah chemistry... Ruined. John Connor.... Ruined. Old cuddly Arnold was OK. I like Arnold so he gets a pass.

I was bored silly. There is talk about this being better then T3 and TS... Both of those films at least had some memorable moments and some well done action scenes. T3 IMO still has the best action scene in the series with the truck chase and I don't care what people say, the Terminatrix was cool. TS had some cool moments (Terminator Bikes, Half terminator going after John after chopper crashes) and was well cast for the most part. Yes neither took chances but this film did and none of it paid off. 20 min into the film I was ready for it to end. The Kyle vs Sarah arguing got old quick. Not one good action scene. Not one moment of excitement. John Connor as villain was awful (I blame the casting as much as the script).

T3 suffered from some awful comedy (Some worked IMO "Relax") but like I said before it had well done action. TG had awful comedy and awful action. Example - Helicopter chase WOW! Sci Fi channel worthy... Where was the Sharknado for that scene? T3 still has the worst John Connor but TG is close.

What I found good... I thought the actress as Sarah was well cast. I like the opening future scene. I always like Arnold. that's about it.

Like I said. It really lacked a Terminator feel. T3 and TS felt much more like terminator films then this one.

Blah...

T1 10 out of 10
T2 7.5 out of 10
T3 - 5 out of 10
TS - 6 out of 10
TG - 2 out of 10

Last edited:
T1 10 out of 10
T2 7.5 out of 10
T3 - 5 out of 10
TS - 6 out of 10
TG - 2 out of 10

I knew all of you were lying about this film and how it is satisfactory maybe even good. You all have your 'Superman Returns' blinders on again.

BTW JAWS, no way TS is a 6. No more than a 5 just for the cycle-nators alone.

I don't know. I will probably buy the figure to use the normal head to complete my Expendables Crew.

7.5/10 for T2 isn't a bad score at all JAWS. The way you refer to it generally in a not so positive manner made me think you'd score it lower.

As for Wor Gar saying a few of us are wearing blinders with regard Genisys - hey, all along I've said that even I won't trust my own first reaction. I liked T3 when I first saw it and now I hate it. So my disclaimer was already in.

As for Wor Gar saying a few of us are wearing blinders with regard Genisys - hey, all along I've said that even I won't trust my own first reaction. I liked T3 when I first saw it and now I hate it. So my disclaimer was already in.

Same here, about pretty much everything, but I'm pretty sure my 1st reaction's not gonna change with this one.

I think the cool-aid will wear off. We'll all be doing the same thing for TFA. Hopefully that won't wear off... but I'm starting to get nervous.

But hey, if you liked AoU, Fury Road, Jurassic World AND Genisys then you had a ROCKING summer! Like Jye.

I think the cool-aid will wear off. We'll all be doing the same thing for TFA. Hopefully that won't wear off... but I'm starting to get nervous.

But hey, if you liked AoU, Fury Road, Jurassic World AND Genisys then you had a ROCKING summer! Like Jye.

James Cameron's cool-aid will wear off too I bet.

Jye didn't like Genisys as I recall. Twas Khev who has had the rocking summer. He enjoyed all those films.

James Cameron's cool-aid will wear off too I bet.

Jye didn't like Genisys as I recall. Twas Khev who has had the rocking summer. He enjoyed all those films.

Cameron Avatar or Cameron Terminator? Avatar has loooooooooong wore off. But I have to admit I am cooling to him in general.

I thought Jye thought TG was OK, not that bad? Maybe I'm putting words in his mouth again. Yes, Khev has had a rocking summer. But I think he always does.

I'm very happy with this summer. To have TWO movies that I liked is huge. (Yes, FR and JW). I'm usually lucky if there's one movie I like per summer. And this year I will still count Bond and Star Wars toward this years pile o' movies. So the potential for 4x great movies is very exciting. I'd be hard pressed to remember when that happened before. This is a Khev question.

Maybe '89:
Batman
Last Crusade
Lethal Weapon II
Abyss

OK, maybe not all great but certainly on par with JW and FR.

Cameron Avatar or Cameron Terminator? Avatar has loooooooooong wore off. But I have to admit I am cooling to him in general.

I thought Jye thought TG was OK, not that bad? Maybe I'm putting words in his mouth again. Yes, Khev has had a rocking summer. But I think he always does.

I'm very happy with this summer. To have TWO movies that I liked is huge. (Yes, FR and JW). I'm usually lucky if there's one movie I like per summer. And this year I will still count Bond and Star Wars toward this years pile o' movies. So the potential for 4x great movies is very exciting. I'd be hard pressed to remember when that happened before. This is a Khev question.

Maybe '89:
Batman
Last Crusade
Lethal Weapon II
Abyss

OK, maybe not all great but certainly on par with JW and FR.

If you got to see these in the theaters depends on your age... But 1982 is a monster year for Summer movies.

Star Trek II
Poltergeist
The Thing
Rocky III
The Road Warrior
Conan the Barbarian
E.T.
Blade Runner

even Tron :)

Last edited:
Back