Terminator 5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terminator 5, F&F´s Justin Lin directing and Arnold returning?!

• Hell yeah, bring it!!!

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Could be better then Salvation, let´s see.

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Mediocre, I´m not that hyped...(aging Ex-Governeur?! Dunno)

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Hell no, T2 with the alternate ending wrapped it the best...no more!!!

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lame. Arnold is goofy. "URRRAAAGH! AY AHM DEH MASHEEN! AY NEED A VAKASHUN!" didn't miss that at all in Salvation.

Arnold is too old, maybe he can make some sort of cameo, but thats it. I want Bale to continue with this franchise.

But please! we need a good Director, not some rookie.

I suspect they would just bastardize those stories anyway in the pursuit of a superficial money grabbing move. Personally, I'm happy with what we've got, but would be glad to see another good story associated with this franchise. Maybe Cameron will consider coming back some day a la Scott with the Alien prequel. . .but I doubt it.

Personally I think its the only Terminator story that anyone could need to see at this point from this franchise - the setup of T1 and T2. Exactly as T1 Reese and the T2 Sarah Connor narrator knew it. It would allow plenty of freedom for action scenes etc as long as certain key characters, character interractions and events are shown.

No throwing Arnie in there just for the sake of it. Though Reese obviously must encounter his particular 101 model number at some point in the future that he is able to identify him in 1984 (t1) so there'd be room for a sequence with CGIed young Arnie but it should be treated as kind of incidental - other model numbered T-800s should also be present just to make clear that Arnie isn't the only one - as Terminators 2-4 give the impression. And also to clarify that Reese, in 1984, wasn't sure which model number he was going to be up against. He obviously doesn't witness which Terminator is sent back by Skynet, nor does he witness either the T-1000 or the reprogrammed T-800 going through.

Cameron obviously would be the best man for the job of filming this but yeah it won't happen. I really think he's done with the franchise. Does he even acknowledge 3 and 4?

Last edited:
I know people hate on Salvation, but compare it to the utter and total unredeeming garbage that is T3. All we got from that was a naked lesbian. T5 w/ Arnold would be T3 part 2.

Keep Salvation's story going, ditch McG, make it further along in the timeline and closer to Cameron's future vision and your set.

I see Salvation like THe Phantom Menace. Of all the prequels, I'm most likely to give that one the most leeway since it was furthest removed from the Original Trilogy and setting things up for us. They just took all the way until the end of ROTS to get there. Instead of that, start there in the next movie.

Cool, thanks! I'm not that guy anymore.

Ummm, I don't like it :monkey1

Whew, I was that guy too; but didn't have to admit it... damn! :gah:

Went and outed myself :lol

That's actually kind of a fun ending; I don't think it really works with the rest of the film, but would at least have saved us from the terror of T3 :lol

If they can't continue the Terminator Salvation trilogy, it's time to tap out. They should be more focused on continuing the story they already started than ditching it just because Arnie's back. Besides, I always felt the FatF films weren't that great to begin with.

If Arnie wants to get his game back, he should give Clint a call and ask him to pass on the scripts he turns down. Schwarzenegger would do better taking a shot at "tough old guy" roles and not try to jump into territory he's arguably too old to run in. Hell, he should be helping Sly promote Expendables II to announce his comeback.

The major ___kups of T4 (and reasons it should be disregarded IMO):

-Skynet knows that Kyle Reese is John Connors dad, it may not say this directly but its heavily implied - what else would he be on their hitlist for??
-Is it any ___king wonder Skynet knows Reese is his dad??! John seems to have told everyone in his immediate crew and he says it to Marcus....who he believes is working for Skynet! What an idiot! NO ONE except John should have been aware that Reese is his father.
-Even accepting that Skynet knows Reese is Johns dad - they should have killed him instantly. Surely it would have had the same effect as killing Sarah connor in the past. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
-Skynet bothers to explain its nefarious (crap) plan to Marcus effectively becoming all that Mike Myers took the p!$$ out of with Dr. Evil.
-Skynet allows its agent, Marcus Wright, free will. He chooses to turn against it and rescue John Connor. I cannot envision how Skynet would not have the ability to program Marcus as believing he is human only up until the point where he finds John Connor and then immediately switching into Terminator mode to kill him. This would have been a far better plan than the stupid idea that he should lure John Connor into a trap.

What have I missed? I'm sure there must be others.

Last edited:
Though Reese obviously must encounter his particular 101 model number at some point in the future that he is able to identify him in 1984 (t1) so there'd be room for a sequence

Uhhhh, hate to be a bastard a-dev, but Kyle Reese had no idea what the T-800 was going to look like.

"I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero on him."

Last edited:
I dunno, maybe they'll bring Bale back to play Conner, bring back Biehn (he still looks relatively the same) to play Reese so he can send him back and have Arnie reprise the T-850 role from T3 so he can kill John Connor and end the franchise before it ventures into the realm of ridiculous bastardization. Though, technically despite being the 5th film, wouldn't it be a prequel to everything? :lol

shouldn't Arnold be doing a prequel to 'On Golden Pond'??

As I think about it, if they insisted on doing more Terminator movies, I would prefer that they moved away from the previous characters as much as possible. Don't get into the cheesy derivative territory of T3 or the ham-fisted retcon attempts of Salvation. Do a movie about Terminators vs. the resistance where you focus on the battles and struggles of mankind with only passing reference to John Connor et al. (if any at all).

They've done what they can with those characters in the first 2 films, IMO. No need to go to the well again and come up with another bucket of stagnant water.

But most of all, I hope they don't do a reboot of T1. But. . .that's probably gonna happen one of these days. And a dark day that will be.

As I think about it, if they insisted on doing more Terminator movies, I would prefer that they moved away from the previous characters as much as possible. Don't get into the cheesy derivative territory of T3 or the ham-fisted retcon attempts of Salvation. Do a movie about Terminators vs. the resistance where you focus on the battles and struggles of mankind with only passing reference to John Connor et al. (if any at all).

They've done what they can with those characters in the first 2 films, IMO. No need to go to the well again and come up with another bucket of stagnant water.

But most of all, I hope they don't do a reboot of T1. But. . .that's probably gonna happen one of these days. And a dark day that will be.

I doubt that would be a successful venue. Arnie's been the sole reason that T1-T3 were even remotely successful (I know lots didn't like T3 but the box office tells a completely different story). Bale's popularity as Batman, and their capitalization off of the Terminator fans Arnold established is what moved T:S. I honestly don't think they could float a franchise like that with no-names. And doing so, would be essentially, rebooting/remaking it anyway.

If they gotta make more, you know there always going to want to go the reboot route. It's inevitable. BUT, it wouldn't take anything away from the original two, atleast for me. It would still be interesting to see.

Most movies franchises these days have contracts for atleast three films,

- Make the first film sort of a prequel. The events prior to T1 and T2 (or is it after, hurrrrrr?). Judgment Day, Future War, an older John and Kyle, meeting at the orderly extermination/disposal camps etc. Connor finds out that Skynet is plotting to send a new Terminator, the T-800 back in time to kill his mother in present day 20** (when ever the new film takes place), so he decides to send a volunteering soldier back in time, Kyle Reese.

- Second film can be a rebooted film of the original except in modern day LA. Instead of incorporating the phone book killer, you could have the T-800 checking facebook or some other internet crap to find and kill the Sarah Connor's in that area. Same events take place, except at the end of the film, we find out that Kyle Reese and the T-800 changed things drastically so now John Connor is the son of Kyle Reese and Skynet creates itself, thus making the Terminators more technologically advanced.

- Enter "T2" remake, which would be a third Terminator film now with a revised future war from the first film that's just different enough from the original to make you mad. Make it the last film.

That way, you pretty much cover everything. The Future, the horrors of the nuclear holocaust, time travel, the paradoxs, machines and present day stuff with a fresh look.

OR

Just stop making these damn films, The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day are fine and don't really need any sequels, prequels or any of that crap.

The only way they can make it interesting is by doing some extreme ____ (kill off John Connor, like they pussied out with in Salvation) or just reboot the whole damn thing.

T3 and Salvation sucks, but the thing I liked about Salvation was incorporating the whole "what if a human was merged with a Terminator and woke up one day to find that it was a "dead" Cyborg". It certainly didn't live up to the future war premise (hell the 10 mins that T1 and T2 cover are more fulfilling than that film) but the Human/Cyborg angle was interesting, they just didn't play it up enough.

I don't know if it would make money or not, but I'm sure Salvation wasn't as big a hit as the execs had hoped--otherwise I'm sure we would have seen a sequel in production by now.

But what I was suggesting was in no way a remake or a reboot, but looking at situations from the existing T1/T2 Terminator-verse that have been overlooked since they weren't critical to those stories. The selling point would be humans fighting robots.

I wouldn't care to see any Terminator movies, but could more easily stomach something that was a bit fresher that what we've seen in recent years.

- Second film can be a rebooted film of the original except in modern day LA. Instead of incorporating the phone book killer, you could have the T-800 checking facebook or some other internet crap to find and kill the Sarah Connor's in that area.
Oh, yeah. I can see it in my mind right now. This thing is gonna happen.

I don't know if it would make money or not, but I'm sure Salvation wasn't as big a hit as the execs had hoped--otherwise I'm sure we would have seen a sequel in production by now.

But what I was suggesting was in no way a remake or a reboot, but looking at situations from the existing T1/T2 Terminator-verse that have been overlooked since they weren't critical to those stories. The selling point would be humans fighting robots.

I wouldn't care to see any Terminator movies, but could more easily stomach something that was a bit fresher that what we've seen in recent years.

There's always that I guess too.

Dive into the whole Resistance vs. Terminator concept. Sort of focus on John and Skynet, but only as leaders of the factions. Completely forget about Time Travel, paradox creation things and go nuts on themes of horrifying killer cyborgs infiltrating these human compounds with cloned flesh with the intent of wiping out the human race and you could have a great film.

Actually, T:S made more than enough and we likely would've already seen at least the second part of the T:S trilogy by now if the studio owning the license hadn't filed for bankruptcy and gotten tied up in buyout negotiations.

Hell, Bond and The Hobbit almost suffered the same fate too. All these smaller companies try to use actor contracts to squeeze out more money simply ignorant to the fact that the big guys already know all they have to do is wait and they'll pick it up for even cheaper when the actors walk and the franchise loses steam.

Nah remakes would be pointless. Bullet-impervious Machines that look human isn't a new concept anymore (if it even was back in 1984) and simply casting a new muscle man or even a more ordinary looking guy wouldn't be much of a novelty either. Arnie was new and unique at the time and the idea of ordinary joes as Terminators has been covered by T:TSCCs. I don't see how they could make any of it seem fresh and worth the retelling.

I like the idea of a radically changed past relative to the original due to events in the future (or was it the past...). You could set these events up in the next film so that the third and final could take place in a modern day setting with a completely different concept of the terminator and maybe even a different future leader (female, maybe?). But, IMO an attempted true remake of the original is just not possible - Schwarzenegger is so iconic and, as was mentioned earlier, the novelty of his inhuman look just wouldn't have the same impact today with the ubiquity of CG. Anyway, the Terminator remains one of sci-fi's greatest franchises and I'll keep watching.

Back