Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How tall is the Taito? I thought it was 7 1/4 like this one?

The Taito is more about "volume/girth" than vertical height (which is actually not hugely different from the SSC.) The Taito has very flat feet that aren't quite accurate - the lower part of the R2 foot is way too foreshortened - so with that corrected it comes up to the right height.

Next to the both the Sideshow and Tama 3PO's, the only R2 that has looked proportionately right to me is the Taito just in terms of overall size, not just height.

If Hot Toys and Tamashii were the same size.... right now I would lean towards the Hot Toys.

Unpainted die cast dome and better overall proportions are key aspects for me....

I can change my mind tomorrow though.

It's funny that the C-3PO is painted gold over the die-cast metal but doesn't look like it. This is painted and definitely looks like it.

Didn't that first C3PO prototype have different looking paint from the final release? I'll see if I can dig up a pic. Really seems we have to wait until final release on a lot of figures. Here's the pic I was thinking of.

NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-003_1349980675.jpg

The Taito is more about "volume/girth" than vertical height (which is actually not hugely different from the SSC.) The Taito has very flat feet that aren't quite accurate - the lower part of the R2 foot is way too foreshortened - so with that corrected it comes up to the right height.

Next to the both the Sideshow and Tama 3PO's, the only R2 that has looked proportionately right to me is the Taito just in terms of overall size, not just height.

Yeah, the Taito just looks right dimensionally.
Tamashii's does appear to be a tad too small/thin.

I'm sure those holes will not make it to Tama's final production version. :)

Re: Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Didn't that first C3PO prototype have different looking paint from the final release? I'll see if I can dig up a pic. Really seems we have to wait until final release on a lot of figures. Here's the pic I was thinking of.

Yeah, interesting point. It seems really odd that if the R2 is pretty much all metal why there'd be a painted dome. Maybe it is just for the proto like with 3PO.

Yeah, the Taito just looks right dimensionally.
Tamashii's does appear to be a tad too small/thin.

I'm sure those holes will not make it to Tama's final production version. :)

I have two Taitos and I really am starting to value them a lot. I'm now worried that all three of the high end R2's - SSC, HT and now Tama - are too small.

I had been planning to turn the Taitos into an R5-D4 (because the SSC is undersized) and another R2 unit, but I'm now thinking I should try to do a nice custom R2 D2 out of one of them.

Why are so many people enamoured with this thing???

Forget the rivets for 2 seconds... the shape is completely wrong.

Using the top of each of his legs as guidelines (also matching the width), I exactly lined up the actual R2 over the top of the Tama - and here's the result. The girth of his belly (which then leads into his head) is waaaaaaay to skinny, thus sending all the proportions out. He has a conehead..

Looks like he's been vertically stretched.

Even when you look at all the variation photos of the Tama/Real McCoy, it's still plain to see.

Maybe it's R2's long, lost, taller brother?

cant base it on these pics because one is small using a wider lens and one is large using a longer lens. You can tell by the angles on artoo himself where the figure is visually stretched and distorted via lens causing us to simultaneously view from (low) up at the dome and (high) down at the feet--
whereas the larger shot has a slightly higher angle over the dome as well as the feet...

cant base it on these pics because one is small using a wider lens and one is large using a longer lens. You can tell by the angles on artoo himself where the figure is visually stretched and distorted via lens causing us to simultaneously view from (low) up at the dome and (high) down at the feet--
whereas the larger shot has a slightly higher angle over the dome as well as the feet...

No, he's right. Lens distortion and photo angle are not enough of an issue to account for some of the obvious proportion issues. It's plain as day when you look at this part of the picture.

R2_zpsm96kegfv.jpg

No, he's right. Lens distortion and photo angle are not enough of an issue to account for some of the obvious proportion issues. It's plain as day when you look at this part of the picture.

R2_zpsm96kegfv.jpg

I see that. Remember this was the costume version in the photo
and the actor could literally stretch the feet up and down on its legs and I see the feet are extended longer on the figure and it appears lowered in the set pic.

It sort of depends on photos though. Does it really look that bad here? Pretty much everything lines up and i dare say the Tama almost looks bulkier in this comparison.

3bb71df0432146a6f66da04126eea92c.jpg

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it until we see more photos besides these. If looks odd at SDCC or in PO pics then i'll worry but he looks fine in TonTon's pics.

But it's looks better as far as size so i'm sure it will be fine when we see multiple photos from multiple people at a show sometime (hopefully) soon.

and if it does not look better i'll be pretty bummed :(

But these two are better? I just think it's too early to make definitive declarations based on a few pics as subzro is saying. Here the one on the left clearly looks more slender, could be due to different photo setups, different style R2 units, but to me that just speaks to the fact that it's a bit too early to say with certainty.
r2s.jpg

Will be curious to see all these R2s once they're all out. For me I'm still leaning toward the Hot Toys one. If it's at least the size of Sideshow's then it's an improvement. If it's smaller then it's back to the drawing board.

I'm not talking about girth because I agree, pics all look different depending on how they were taken. I'm talking about the fact the Tamashi sits too high up in the area I highlighted. In every single screen cap you will find the inside of R2's feet sits next to the lower part of his center. On the Tamashi they sit below.

Back