Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today and the pics don't lie: looks stunning in person, as does the packaging...

I love how Sideshow's name appears on the box at least three different spots - ya think they are claiming credit or something?

The stand supplied with the figure is very light, yet is wide/broad enough to support the figure. This is correct - if you look at the physics, it's not a cheap out by the makers. The stand would need to be heavier than the figure or cover an even larger area otherwise. There's no way these would be shippable with the addition of a very heavy stand as well.
To make it a little heavier would have added nothing to its sturdiness.

So whilst you may think the stand is disappointingly light and big, it's pretty much the only way they could have done it. And physics wise it's pretty sturdy. Weight, height versus surface area. The figure stands perfectly without a stand anyway.

The stand supplied with the figure is very light, yet is wide/broad enough to support the figure. This is correct - if you look at the physics, it's not a cheap out by the makers. The stand would need to be heavier than the figure or cover an even larger area otherwise. There's no way these would be shippable with the addition of a very heavy stand as well.
To make it a little heavier would have added nothing to its sturdiness.

So whilst you may think the stand is disappointingly light and big, it's pretty much the only way they could have done it. And physics wise it's pretty sturdy. Weight, height versus surface area. The figure stands perfectly without a stand anyway.

:lecture

Really not getting all the panic regarding the stand! This is about the sturdiest figure there is ever likely to be! Mine is posed in a slightly bent over backwards position and he is solid! I have absolutely no concerns!

Update on my C3PO. I was able to get a hold of SSC today. From what I was told "ALL" of their has the cut part on it. From what I can tell the ones that told me and posted pictures that don't. Did not order from SSC.

Makes me wonder.

Forgot to mention.

The stand they come with are perfectly ok. Mine are as solid as a rock on the stands, and even if you try to wobble C-3PO, the clasps still stay perfectly closed.

I cancelled my order from Amazon and reordered from SS. Mine does not have the cut.

Also, magnets??? Really?

Ok, in defense of the guys wanting a more stable c3po maybe we all dont have as stable of display space as you. I for one display my 1/6th stuff on a wall adjacent to a front door. So anything I can do to make something a bit more stable and give me peace of mind is something that will be persued. Dont hate or dis.........:lecture

AH! I can't wait until Monday!

1283892249044.gif

One has slight blemish on the arm, and Sideshow are sending replacement arm. That's great customer service.

Don't understand the denial on the cut wire. Don't make sense.

I did talk to ssc today. Seems the one in their office is also cut. They are going to take a look and see what's up. No matter what happens I still stand behind buying from ssc.

I know this is verging on super-nitpicking territory now, but is no one bothered by Threepio's eye color? Not only are they a little too bright, but I don't think they ever looked halogen-white in the movies either.

I went to Michael's looking for some kind yellow cellophane material to use as color gel, but this was the closest thing I could find:

Eyes01_zpsc7e4c862.jpg

After unscrewing the piece inside Threepio's head holding the lights and electronics, I placed tiny squares of the yellow plastic material I just cut with scissors right over the metal grill piece that covers his eyes. The stuff turned out to be more transparent than I though, so I actually used three squares of plastic for each eye.

Eyes02_zps8bd315bb.jpg

While the difference doesn't seem dramatic in this iPad photo, the results not only correct the eye color, but it also dims the lighting quite a bit without sacrificing the appearance of the three tiny diodes in each eye. What do you guys think?

Eyes03_zpsb7a1ad4a.jpg

That is a simple yet brilliant solution PJB..............and even with that ipad pic I can see a ton of difference looking close. Doin' it.........:hi5:

I know this is verging on super-nitpicking territory now, but is no one bothered by Threepio's eye color? Not only are they a little too bright, but I don't think they ever looked halogen-white in the movies either.

I went to Michael's looking for some kind yellow cellophane material to use as color gel, but this was the closest thing I could find:

Eyes01_zpsc7e4c862.jpg

After unscrewing the piece inside Threepio's head holding the lights and electronics, I placed tiny squares of the yellow plastic material I just cut with scissors right over the metal grill piece that covers his eyes. The stuff turned out to be more transparent than I though, so I actually used three squares of plastic for each eye.

Eyes02_zps8bd315bb.jpg

While the difference doesn't seem dramatic in this iPad photo, the results not only correct the eye color, but it also dims the lighting quite a bit without sacrificing the appearance of the three tiny diodes in each eye. What do you guys think?

Eyes03_zpsb7a1ad4a.jpg

That is a fantastic mod :rock

I think it improves it quite dramatically!

Is it as simple as unscrewing the back off and inserting the material?

Good stuff PJB! I think I will give that a go!

Last edited:
That is a fantastic mod :rock

I think it improves it quite dramatically!

Is it as simple as unscrewing the back off and inserting the material?

Yep, it's pretty easy. Just unscrew the top and two bottom screws (the one in the middle keeps the battery compartment closed), pull off the lighting piece then remove the two plastic pieces that hold Threepio's "eyes," which is the single white part that his pupils are painted onto.

The hardest part was cutting the yellow plastic squares at the right size large enough to cover the eye grills but small enough to sit flat in-between the little tabs that hold all these pieces in place. But there are no wires to undo or parts to separate that require any, *ahem*, force.

When you look at the bulbs used to light the figure's eyes, they're actually yellow, but are so bright that only the white light is visible. Since Threepio's eyes are closer to a yellowish-orange or an amber hue in the movies, I'm going to look for a darker, more rigid material than what I'm using now (like the wrapper to some hard butterscotch candy).

Back