SyFy Krypton: The series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be like Gotham where popular villains pop up on Krypton but no Superman to fight them and the rest of the show will be soap opera drama between the El and Zod houses. As much as I'd like to be excited for this, it's a tough sell. I'll give it a chance though. If I can make it through an episode of Supergirl and Arrow then I can sit through anything.
The premise seems a bit weak to me. There was a mini-series about Krypton back when Superman was re-booted post-Crisis, but I never had an interest in even reading that one. And there was the great Alan Moore story "For the Man Who Has Everything," where Superman is attacked by Mongul, who attaches a parasitic octopus to him that puts him in a catatonic state where he fantasizes about life on Krypton. . .but that's a single story by the greatest comic writer alive. And Superman plays a key role in it. I think you're right that we'll get Supes' dad and mom running around, dealing with Braniac, Mxyzptlk, alternate versions of Parasite and Metallo, Mongul, maybe even the New Gods, etc. Seems lame to me, but I think Gotham is also a lame idea, and lots of people disagree with me on that one.

So many great premises in DC that haven't been addressed yet in a satisfactory way, from alternate universe earths to the Metal Men to the Outsiders to Justice League Antarctica to the Justice Society, etc. Hell, we could get Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew! Marvel Studios would make that totally work.

The premise seems a bit weak to me. There was a mini-series about Krypton back when Superman was re-booted post-Crisis, but I never had an interest in even reading that one. And there was the great Alan Moore story "For the Man Who Has Everything," where Superman is attacked by Mongul, who attaches a parasitic octopus to him that puts him in a catatonic state where he fantasizes about life on Krypton. . .but that's a single story by the greatest comic writer alive. And Superman plays a key role in it. I think you're right that we'll get Supes' dad and mom running around, dealing with Braniac, Mxyzptlk, alternate versions of Parasite and Metallo, Mongul, maybe even the New Gods, etc. Seems lame to me, but I think Gotham is also a lame idea, and lots of people disagree with me on that one.

So many great premises in DC that haven't been addressed yet in a satisfactory way, from alternate universe earths to the Metal Men to the Outsiders to the Justice Society, etc. Good luck with them, though.

"For the Man Who Has Everything" is a fantastic story--they did a great adaptation of it for an episode of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon.

This series is going to have a tough time making the audience care about the history of the House of El, especially since it's being told starting with Superman's ****ing grandparents. I would be much more interested if it was going to be told from the point of view of Jor-El--at least that way there would be a good chance I'd get to see Zod. :lol Like I said, I'll give it a shot, but I don't have high hopes (though this looks like it will at least finally give me live-action Brainiac :rock )

krypton-tv-series-syfy-codex.png

You never know. Maybe it will be brilliantly written, and the rest of our concerns will be moot. But the whole reason you go with a comic theme is typically that you want to reference comic stuff people have some understanding and appreciation of. And from that standpoint, this wouldn't be in my top 20 or 30 ideas for DC.

I thought some of the characters were interesting.I thought the killing off of mom and dad was very weak story telling and done to easily.Now Gramps will show up ala Obi Wan at the Fortress with wisdom.Some of the CGI was terrible and Braniac is coming.I'll watch a couple of more episodes.. give it a chance.

For a SyFy show, I was impressed by how good the sets and effects look. Also, Brainiac, from the preview of next week’s episode, and from what I’ve seen on the net, looks like he’s been ripped right out of the comics.
On the other hand, for all the killing, the first episode seemed a bit slow to me. Maybe I need to rewatch it though, I watched it pretty late at night, so that could have been part of it.
I’ll give SyFy credit, as the show looks much better than I originally expected. At the same time, I’m still not sure why DC is so dead set against just giving Superman (or any of their main characters, for that matter), his own tv show. They’ve taken this approach with Smallville and they’re doing the same thing for Batman now with Gotham. And even though they won’t show us Superman or Batman, they can’t resist cramming everyone from their rogues gallery into the show. I know Warner/DC has some rule against using the characters from the movies in the tv shows too, but I really think they need to move away from this policy.

I thought some of the characters were interesting.I thought the killing off of mom and dad was very weak story telling and done to easily.Now Gramps will show up ala Obi Wan at the Fortress with wisdom.Some of the CGI was terrible and Braniac is coming.I'll watch a couple of more episodes.. give it a chance.

For a TV show I thought the CGI was pretty good. You really can't expect movie quality from SyFy anyway.

I'm not real keen on who's playing the lead, but maybe he'll grow on me.

See they are still using the John Williams theme. So which version of the character are they referencing. Judging by the cape and the music, surely not the Snyder version.

See they are still using the John Williams theme. So which version of the character are they referencing. Judging by the cape and the music, surely not the Snyder version.

Yeah, it seems really tough to pin that down. Like you said, the cape is definitely more like the one from the Donner films. Some of the Krypton tech looks a little more like the Snyder version though. I think they use that same little key for instance, that has the house of El shield (or Superman symbol-whatever you want to call it) on it to use their computers. I have a feeling they’re going to keep references to Superman deliberately vague, to avoid having to specifically tie it to a certain continuity.

Nyssa is pretty damn' hot,don't know if I would have called that off.So we find out Brainiac is already on Krypton.And they pretty much showed us who he is,or who they want us to think he is.The whole Adam Strange thingy seems a bit weak.Try one more episode.

I like this show! It's refreshing to have something in the Superman universe, but not above Superman.

Brainiac is perfection - looks like it jumped off of the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank series.

Lobo-Krypton.jpg
From the peaceful planet of Czarnia, Lobo was born a devil in the midst of utopia. Loosely translated from his native language, his name means “he who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it.” As a teenager, he single-handedly slaughtered his entire civilization, becoming the last of his race. Now, this mercenary roams the universe on his motorcycle, getting paid for what he loves most – murder and mayhem.”

The TV show’s take on Lobo will be a ruthless bounty hunter who murdered his entire species, and who possesses a genius level intellect when it comes to matters of warfare, making him a deadly adversary. Imbued with superhuman strength and virtually immortal, Lobo will keep coming until the job is finished. His word is the only thing Lobo holds sacred; and although he’ll never violate the letter of an agreement, he might disregard its spirit from time to time!

“Krypton” Season 2 will premiere on SYFY in early 2019.

first look at live action lobo

Back