Swamp Thing Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree on all above but have to question just what exactly makes someone a "seasoned" collector? Lol. Imo weather you have 5 statues or 500 you are a collector and wether or not you are "seasoned" or not is completely irrelevant when it comes to personal taste on everything involved wether it be the price or material involved. I have what most say is a large collection that includes life size items as well as smaller scale items and have been building this collection for years, even long before I ever found this board, but that makes me no better at judging the quality of this or any other piece for another collector.

As for this actual statue, pics look good but knowing the material used I could not justify the price nor would I even consider purchasing it without seeing it in hand.

Snap. I used to buy quite a lot of stuff in this hobby. Currently all I have on order is the Prime 1 Dog Alien. Prices are getting silly, and as people are trying to cling on to this hobby, making stuff out of cheap, nasty plastic such as the Wolf LSB isn't going to convince many people to stick around.

Exactly.

Agree on all above but have to question just what exactly makes someone a "seasoned" collector? Lol. Imo weather you have 5 statues or 500 you are a collector and wether or not you are "seasoned" or not is completely irrelevant when it comes to personal taste on everything involved wether it be the price or material involved. I have what most say is a large collection that includes life size items as well as smaller scale items and have been building this collection for years, even long before I ever found this board, but that makes me no better at judging the quality of this or any other piece for another collector.

As for this actual statue, pics look good but knowing the material used I could not justify the price nor would I even consider purchasing it without seeing it in hand.

There was an accusation earlier on the boards that the only people who were talking this piece up were noobs who may or may not have been shills. I call myself a seasoned collector, as I’ve been collecting limited edition statues since 1989, and collecting comics and toys since 1964. Here’s the one that got me started with statues:

I meant no disrespect to anyone who collects what they love. I do love this piece and sure as hell am not a noob nor a shill.

Snap. I used to buy quite a lot of stuff in this hobby. Currently all I have on order is the Prime 1 Dog Alien. Prices are getting silly, and as people are trying to cling on to this hobby, making stuff out of cheap, nasty plastic such as the Wolf LSB isn't going to convince many people to stick around.

You know “polystone” is resin with ground up rocks in it, right? Makes it cheaper to produce. The additional weight is just a byproduct.

Last edited:
You know “polystone” is resin with ground up rocks in it, right? Makes it cheaper to produce. The additional weight is just a byproduct.

Yes, I'm not saying polystone is the perfect material for this hobby, far from it in fact. But it is the established material and has served it's purpose relatively well for many years. It also gives off a fairly decent feel of quality due to it's weight and cold, solid feel even if that aspect is somewhat of an illusion. Although I'm not one of those that equates weight as necessarily meaning high quality, I'd rather my statues were lighter if anything as it would open up way more options to display them. What I do know is that when I paid around $920 for my Wolf Predator legendary scale bust. What I received was disgraceful. I haven't bought this Swamp thing, so I have no idea if it is as bad as the Wolf bust, but I know that I will never be buying anything made of "high quality PCV" from Sideshow ever again. Hence I have an interest in this topic as I'd really like to be assured that this will trial won't take hold of more pieces in future. The Wolf was a disaster for SSC (hence they are still pushing it left, right and center) This guy is the next test, the ES number suggests it wasn't a huge seller.

As for which material is suitable, well I don't have a clear answer to that. I will say that the most impressive material I've had in hand is translucent resin such as that on my ECC Grey Alien bust and my Prime 1 ID4 Alien bust. But it still has the same draw backs. PVC isn't the answer however imo...

Yes, I'm not saying polystone is the perfect material for this hobby, far from it in fact. But it is the established material and has served it's purpose relatively well for many years. It also gives off a fairly decent feel of quality due to it's weight and cold, solid feel even if that aspect is somewhat of an illusion. Although I'm not one of those that equates weight as necessarily meaning high quality, I'd rather my statues were lighter if anything as it would open up way more options to display them. What I do know is that when I paid around $920 for my Wolf Predator legendary scale bust. What I received was disgraceful. I haven't bought this Swamp thing, so I have no idea if it is as bad as the Wolf bust, but I know that I will never be buying anything made of "high quality PCV" from Sideshow ever again. Hence I have an interest in this topic as I'd really like to be assured that this will trial won't take hold of more pieces in future. The Wolf was a disaster for SSC (hence they are still pushing it left, right and center) This guy is the next test, the ES number suggests it wasn't a huge seller.

As for which material is suitable, well I don't have a clear answer to that. I will say that the most impressive material I've had in hand is translucent resin such as that on my ECC Grey Alien bust and my Prime 1 ID4 Alien bust. But it still has the same draw backs. PVC isn't the answer however imo...

As I said earlier in the thread, I was offered a LSB Wolf Predator at Jerseyfest in September. After holding it in my hands and examining it closely, I turned the seller down even at $250. There is NO comparison between that embarrassment and the Swamp Thing.

. . . I know that I will never be buying anything made of "high quality PCV" from Sideshow ever again . . . PVC isn't the answer . . .

As always - the man speaketh the truth :clap

If people want to buy plastic - go for it - it's your money - but the only pieces I buy that use PVC will be from NECA - at NECA's prices! :)

I should add - if you are happy with the piece at the price you paid THAT IS GREAT (sincerely!) - but that material (at these prices) is not for me - and a majority of the community (based on the forums I watch) seem to agree.

Time will tell how Sideshow go forward - but in the meantime - we have PLENTY of other companies that fortunately haven't taken this route.

j5Mtgzy.jpg

The photos speak for themselves.

x2sZncL.jpg

Last edited:

I’ve got zero...actually, I’ve bought more of other stuff than statues the last couple years

Last one sold for $620 with $80 shipping on ebay. . I'd consider this if I could get one for around $400 if anyone is offering lol. It is a beautiful looking piece despite how cheap it feels.

So, just to confirm, you’d like someone to sell you theirs for less than half price yeah?
Not really. I've been slowly exiting the statue collecting hobby. Prices have become somewhat insane. What I'm saying is it's clearly going to sell for much less than its original purchase price despite how limited it is.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back