SW 3 3/4 inch - Collecting Stories

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had them when i was younger..(77-85 line) played with them until they fell apart or got lost.started again when they brought the star wars figures back. collected what i could here and there.one of my buddies ran a booth at a flea market and when i got my self a good job. started buying carded figures from 1977-1985 line. then i got sick and had to sell the stuff off. i collect everything else and can't keep up with what has been put out now. so i sold off like 600 loose figures over a year...It's becaue i collect everything else.But sometimes i see what is coming out now and how hasbro has made many improvements on the 3 3/4 figures and almost want to pick up again..
then i think i have no space....

At one point I had all of the 12" Hasbro figures and most of the 3 3/4" figures, including all of the accessory sets.

At first, the collecting was actually fun. But I grew sick and tired of the endless store exclusives and specifically of the scalpers cleaning out the pegs (most of the time, the store employees were involved as well.) So I ended up selling most of the 3 3/4" collection to one lucky bidder in New Jersey. I still have most of the 12" figures. Some I want to keep but most are simply not selling for anything worth the trouble to throw them on ebay...

I learned my collecting lesson with these lines and have not fallen for the same traps again. Even with SS's excellent lines, I've been a "pick and choose" collector, and not a "completist", per se.

I collected my first back in 1980.... the ATAT Driver and still have my vintage collection... I also started to collect the new line, it started with just Boba and Darth etc ... and thats how I was going to keep it. Then I met my future wife and she would buy them for me and encourage me to collect more....NOW I have a whole stinking room full of figures I don't know how to display as once out of the packet they aren't very impressive, loose limb, rubbery plastic etc, my passion died down during AOTC & I finally kicked that habit shortly after ROTS.... I now collect 1:6, though I'm not a completist and only have 5 or 6 of the line and the Medicom Boba & clone I also have the 1:1 MR Vader helm, Altmans Scout Helm & MR Boba helm on the way.

So in summary it was fun while I collecting and yes I did the store hunts (which i still tend to do now though I don't buy it was hard to put back the Ralph Mc Snowtrooper the other day) but what the heck do I do now?
as I'd only really like to display the vintage figures now. Any suggestions, if I sold these I'd probably buy props or 1:6 with the cash. :monkey1:monkey2:monkey3

i had them when i was younger..(77-85 line) played with them until they fell apart or got lost.started again when they brought the star wars figures back. collected what i could here and there.one of my buddies ran a booth at a flea market and when i got my self a good job. started buying carded figures from 1977-1985 line. then i got sick and had to sell the stuff off. i collect everything else and can't keep up with what has been put out now. so i sold off like 600 loose figures over a year...It's becaue i collect everything else.But sometimes i see what is coming out now and how hasbro has made many improvements on the 3 3/4 figures and almost want to pick up again..
then i think i have no space....

Maatuu52, since you don't seem to be taking the hint, allow me to explain it to you. People generally don't like it when you post to a thread that is over a month or two old. They'll see a thread with a lot of replies and start reading, only to discover that they read this thread months ago, or they start to think of a response and then realize that it's much too late and the original posters may not even be around anymore. If you want to start a thread about a topic like this, it's probably better to just start fresh with a new thread, rather than resurrecting the old one.

Same basic story here, had the vintage stuff as a kid, started collecting again in '95, ect.

This past year though, I took almost all my 3 3/4" figures and vehicles to a local comic shop a sold them off in one giant group.

What I've done now is to keep what I would consider one "definative", best looking version of each of the main characters throughout the whole saga (12-15 characters per film) and the EU as well.

Keeps me in the game of Star Wars collecting without too much money or time being put in. The only problem is Hasbro keeps updated the sculpts of the main guys, so I have to keep buying the same characters over again.

That sounds like a good idea Booyah! but I don't think the sculpts have improved lately articulation yes, so yeah I might have to see if a comic store would be interested :confused::eek:

Back