Superman Returns; the most underated superhero movie in a while?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this movie is underated?

• yes

Votes: 72 45.0%
  • no

Votes: 88 55.0%

• Total voters
Underrated...?

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

It really could have been better. The Airplane sequence was amazing, but the overall plot was severely lacking.

I don't mind seeing Luthor again, but why the real estate thing? he got all that money from the old lady, but did we really see him utilize it? Nah... it seems like all he really needed it for was to pay his goons. I though it was great to see the beat-down scene, as it really showed how Luthor wanted supes to suffer, but why not inject that malice into Lex throughout the film? The script really should have had Lex use the money to create some fancy kryptonian tech from the crystal information to have Superman actually fight--that could have been the origin of the famous green Lex battle armor.

and I agree Lois was miscast... too young and not spunky enough. Plus the lois/supes flight scene again? totally unnecessary--just like the kid.

The film was just a missed opportunity...

I really don't think superman should be a punch fest movie, I really liked the subtle humor and the dialogue between the characters... especially lois and clark... I also liked the movie design too.. it was very 20's.

I liked it alot, it actually made me more of a Superman fan than I was before I saw it. Yeah the Lex plot is kind of tired, and maybe it could have been a little bit better, but it could have been a whole lot worse too. Also I was severely ticked off when the studio announced they would be starting over from scratch and writing the movie off like it was never made. That's just a slap in the face to everyone who was involved in it in my opinion.

yeah I agree with havok, I was actually not really a supes fan to begin with, but after the movie I liked the character much more.

first time I saw it, I was kinda disapointend, but second time around, much later I actually think it can play in the league of good comic book movies.

Very cool and nice effects, story was okay.

It certainly does not deserve the negative critics.

And Kate Bosworth did a terrible job as Lois Lane,why they picked her in the first place i will never understand,HUGE MISTAKE there.

I kinda fell that Superman 3 gets rough deal too. I really enjoyed the Smallville scenes, Evil Superman and the the Clark vs evil Superman fight is a classic.
Superman returns is a good movie. But I have to agree about the kid. And Anne Hathaway would have made a much better Lois.

I loved that movie, but then again I love everything Superman so I might be slightly bias in this regard.:lol

X2

But I agree, the Kid angle was a mistake, I thought Routh was Great! didn't mind Bosworth as Lois but yes could have been casted better, someone just before me said Anne Hathaway, Good Choice!!!

As for the Beat down on superman, I really didn't like it. Superman doesn't really take his revenge out on others so it's not like he's gonna beat the crap out of them, and then kill them, he justs sends them to jail. So in the movie the revenge was the the goons getting crushed by falling parts of the "kryptonite island" That didn't work for me.

Like most others here, I thought it was OK, but much less than what it should have been, particularly in relation to the amazing Batman movies. The cheesy "Hackman" Lex doesn't work nowadays, having the kid was dumb, the island made out of Kryptonite thing was pretty stupid, and the fact that Supes didn't get to fight a giant robot or super-powered person/alien of some type sucked. Was a bit of a let-down, as I had such high expectations. I think the next guy making a Superman movie should start anew, and leave the old movies and cheese in the past. Someone on Aintitcool suggested an adaptation of "It's Superman," or at least a movie with that same spirit, and I think that that is a great idea. In any case, Lex needs to be a bad-ass like he was in the Timm-verse cartoons.

Routh was quite good, though. I hope that they bring him back if/when another gets made.

Well, I also am not a huge fan of this movie. Admittedly I am not a big fan of Superman either so my opinion may be biased. I thought the movie lacked a lot. Superman barely fought and at some points the movie dragged. The plot was stale and the baby idea - horrible.

I think we need a fresh take on Superman. I once thought he needed to be a bit darked but I don't really feel the same way anymore. his good boy persona is what makes him lovable as a character and to take that away would make him just like the rest. I think the next movie needs to focus on more internal struggle though. Superman needs to feel pain and he has to make some harder choices. The villains need to be more than 1 dimensional as well, meaning the audience needs to relate to the villain as well as despise the villain.

I am fine with Routh as Superman as well. I just think they need to give him more to work with.

Very pretty film....but utterly boring. Couldnt careless about the characters, and the action was boring. All of it. PUNCH LUTHOR IN THE FACE SUPERMAN!!

Rargh!

I dont like Superman anyway....so maybe thats why.

Airplane rescue was great, Brandon Routh was great, cinematography was great. Supes as peeping tom/stalker/deadbeat dad: ruined it. As mentioned before the overall story was extremely uninspired as well.

i thought it was the most dissappointing superhero movie I have ever seen because I had great expectations. the dude didn't even throw a single punch throughout the whole movie. Lex was a dissappointing villain and the plot was too boring, it didn't really go far enough. The plane scene was a single heartbeat for the whole movie.

Back