Superman Returns; the most underated superhero movie in a while?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this movie is underated?

• yes

Votes: 72 45.0%
  • no

Votes: 88 55.0%

• Total voters
Not in the realm of possibilities. War could be stopped quickly under the Superman mythos and corruption isn't in his realm....more Bats line of work he'd just take out the product of corruption. How exactly would Superman stop people from being poor? The Natural Disasters thing would be more of a Superman rescue film than anything else....
Superman is a journalist, after he ends all the conflicts in the world (that could be the opening), he'd have time to be the best journalist in the world, and end all the corruption. Then he'd manipulate the weather, working with scientists, to make good food grow everywhere. It would be sooo cool and uplifting that all of us would want to be real Superman ourselves. And then we would have vision for a great future, and go out there and have faith to fix our very real problems.....

I liked it, the atmosphere/tone, Routh's performance....I really want to see a Superman film, just like Returns, where Superman takes on the crises that our planet faces today, corruption/war, poverty, and natural disasters....

Superman: Environmental Warrior, Counter-terrorist and anti-poverty advocate? That would be a pretty lousy movie. Superman isn't Jack Bauer, Al Gore or the Red Cross.

It is better to leave the real battles for the real soliders, and keep superheroes confined to stifling supervillains. To have Superman swoop in and single-handedly beat Al Qaida to a pulp would be somewhat disrespectful of those who are sacrificing. Wars aren't easily won ... and the movie wouldn't ring true because all the "crises" would still exist when people left the theater.

Also -- Superman IV tried to have Superman solve a modern "crisis". It turned into a preachy nuclear disarmament movie ... and the plot thusly sucked. Superman shouldn't get political. Even Christopher Reeve, who came up with the idea of making Superman politically relevant, said it was a HUGE mistake.

SnakeDoc

returns had all the pieces to be a great reboot to the superman franchise. the casting was great (except bosworth- i didnt like her too much), the plane sequence would have a been a great way to introduce supes to the metropolis public, and it had some other great ideas.

Superman: Environmental Warrior, Counter-terrorist and anti-poverty advocate? That would be a pretty lousy movie. Superman isn't Jack Bauer, Al Gore or the Red Cross.

It is better to leave the real battles for the real soliders, and keep superheroes confined to stifling supervillains. To have Superman swoop in and single-handedly beat Al Qaida to a pulp would be somewhat disrespectful of those who are sacrificing. Wars aren't easily won ... and the movie wouldn't ring true because all the "crises" would still exist when people left the theater.

Also -- Superman IV tried to have Superman solve a modern "crisis". It turned into a preachy nuclear disarmament movie ... and the plot thusly sucked. Superman shouldn't get political. Even Christopher Reeve, who came up with the idea of making Superman politically relevant, said it was a HUGE mistake.

SnakeDoc

I don't know, maybe. I did really like Superman Returns, maybe that's why? It's been a while since I have seen iot, so i can't really justify it, but I think it's a really good movie, and cannot at all see any real flaws with it. I have not seen any of the other Superman movies either, so that could be a factor...I liked that there was a lot of ambiguity to whatever happened previously, and Routh is almost too good as Superman.

Superman vs. Man-Bear-Pig would be pretty cool though.

I enjoyed SR when I first saw it in theaters, but after it came out on dvd my opinion changed. Too many plot holes, rehashing, Bosworth and Spacey kind of ruined it for me. And the kid story sucked. This had so much potential but just fell apart. And I agree, I thought Routh was the best thing about the movie.

I say reboot it. No need to retell the origin or anything like that, everyone knows who superman is. Bring on Darkseid and an alien invasion and have an all out brawl between Supes and Darkseid. And leave Lex as a secondary villian. You know watching from his penthouse on top of lex corp and wondering how he can profit from it all.

Think you'd definetly need something to indicate it being a re-boot. Thought what they did with the new Hulk film was good and just have it running over the opening credits.

Batman Begins had an advantage as the origin story hadn't been told on film. The 1989 Batman had him fully kitted out etc.

And re-doing it all from scratch would immediately bring comparisons to Donners original which in my opinion still holds up wonderfully.

I wouldn't say it turned into a nuclear disarmament movie, most of that plot was hacked away in order to turn it into a man in tights having a super grapple movie.

The idea of a man with godlike powers deciding what's best for us is an interesting idea worthy of exploration. There was just no budget or the ability to tell it coherently in Superman IV.

I did think in the comic storyline "Red Son" it was an intelligent take on that idea. Although the ending seemed to fall apart.

Since we are talking about all things Superman in here this little tidbit is neat:

Han Solo as Superman?
January 8, 2009

Harrison Ford was in the running for Superman before they handed the blue and red suit to Christopher Reeves. According to Splashpage during a recent interview with Ford he spilled the beans about his almost casting recall.

“I think back when ‘Superman’ was first being done I was vaguely in consideration, but it never came to the point of having to try on the tights,” Harrison Ford told MTV News during a recent interview.

However, Ford clearly carries no hard feelings about losing the role of the Man of Steel in 1978’s “Superman” to Christopher Reeve, and given the fact that he has more than enough geek cred between his roles as Han Solo and Indiana Jones, don’t expect to see him popping up in any comic flicks in the near future.

It's not a bad movie, but it's not a good movie either. it's one of those films where the good bits are really good, but they are too few and far between. I love all the Superman parts, especially when he gets shot in the eye, but they is just not enough 'Super' going on. The kid was lame imo and should never had been included.

Back