Student Goes Off At Teacher About Education

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quit reading this thread when I see so many who have never set foot in a classroom as a adult thinking they know everything there is about teachers and teaching. :lol

:exactly:

The ignorance is... not surprising. My mother is a teacher so I've heard the stories. It's the same bull**** she has to put up with by parents who don't actually care about their child, only someone to blame.

It's hard to argue with someone who thinks that standards should be lowered for poor people because they're poor. That's exactly what's dropped the US into 17th place, and falling. "Wow, you're poor? You must be incapable of learning at the same level as rich people. Well, we'll lower the standard for you, so you can get better grades. How's that?" "Oh, you failed all your courses? Well, we can't hold you back a year, it would do too much social damage denying you the ability to stay in class with your friends. Congrats, we'll socially pass you!" Well, not only should it be insulting to both the poor and rich, but it accomplishes nothing, in the end, save awarding ignorance for the sake of ignorance.

Nam,
Not that standards should be lowered, but an alternative is needed. Its not hard to see that a childs education IS impacted by his/her poverty level. No one is saying that the poor cant learn the same as someone wealthy, but to ignore that where a kid lives, his home conditions, his family life, etc.. does not impact those abilities is wrong. ALL of these socio-economic conditions have an impact on a student and his/her ability to learn.

Your argument: "low social class = educational disadvantage." That's a wholly ignorant train of thought. That's the thought process that's gotten us where we are. Did you even read the link in my last post?
Alright Nam, as usual, your bombardment of posts ignoring my arguments and talking at the stuffed scarecrow version of me hanging out in your mind has allowed you to win. Congratulations. Yes, I am ignorant. Your link (you know, the one indicting the U.S. educational system--examining factors such as class size and school choice--something you previously argued was fairly irrelevant) somehow shows very clearly that every one of my arguments is built on a house of sand. Please post your retarded horse video so this can officially be over.

Nam,
Not that standards should be lowered, but an alternative is needed. Its not hard to see that a childs education IS impacted by his/her poverty level. No one is saying that the poor cant learn the same as someone wealthy, but to ignore that where a kid lives, his home conditions, his family life, etc.. dont impact those abilities is wrong. ALL of these socio-economic conditions have an impact on a student. Any student with a steady homelife, 2 parents at home, living in a good neighborhood, etc,.. will have an advantage.
Alright Nam, as usual, your bombardment of posts ignoring my arguments and talking at the stuffed scarecrow version of me hanging out in your mind has allowed you to win. Congratulations. Yes, I am ignorant. Your link (you know, the one indicting the U.S. educational system--examining factors such as class size and school choice--something you previously argued was fairly irrelevant) somehow shows very clearly that every one of my arguments is built on a house of sand. Please post your retarded horse video so this can officially be over.

I fail to see how someone's living conditions effect their intelligence. That argument will never fly with me. When my living conditions were less than desirable, it inspired me to work harder to get out of them, not the other way around. That's a concept lost on the kids of today... and apparently Kara.

the only thing thats really obvious here is no one can validate their side of the debate anymore than the other.

1 side wants to believe the kid is standing up for a true cause/problem with the teacher. (who potentially looks like she doesn't give a ****)

The other side wants to believe the kid is out of line and acting like a ****** (which he seems to have the true potential to be)

the best part are those telling the other to stop assuming, while they're doing the exact same thing :lol

debating on this board is ....
dog-chases-tail-o.gif

And just to further demonstrate who isn't paying attention to others' posts:

But there is a culture among the poor that doesn't value education, or behavior conducive to learning.

"More important than money, say most experts, is the level of support for education within the surrounding culture. Although cultural change is inevitably complex, it can be brought about in order to promote better educational outcomes,” the report said."

Source:

Whodathunk it?

Nam,
Not that standards should be lowered, but an alternative is needed. Its not hard to see that a childs education IS impacted by his/her poverty level. No one is saying that the poor cant learn the same as someone wealthy, but to ignore that where a kid lives, his home conditions, his family life, etc.. does not impact those abilities is wrong. ALL of these socio-economic conditions have an impact on a student and his/her ability to learn.

Yeah, employ teachers who love to teach and aren't in it for the paycheck.

It's the same bull**** she has to put up with by parents who don't actually care about their child, only someone to blame.

IMO thats the exact reason good teachers in our schools are so important and necessary. The current generation of parents (my own generation), for the most part just flat out suck at parenting. So many of them are still children themselves.

The last hope those kids have at becoming productive / self-sufficient adults is the school and the teachers in front of them everyday.... :monkey1

And just to further demonstrate who isn't paying attention to others' posts:

"More important than money, say most experts, is the level of support for education within the surrounding culture. Although cultural change is inevitably complex, it can be brought about in order to promote better educational outcomes,” the report said."

Source:

Whodathunk it?

And thanks to people who share your flawed logic:
Australia, Poland, Germany and Belgium fared better than the U.S. on the top-20 list, which also included Hungary, Slovakia and Russia.

Wait, earlier you were using that article as evidence that the U.S. had problems and was falling behind, and are now using it as an example of bad research by people who are misguided? OK. Again, sorry I'm so "ignorant" about all this.

The US is ranked 17th and falling, when compared to 50 other countries and their educational systems. But in your eyes, it's the fault of the rich. :lol

Imagine spending thousands of dollars, going through school and getting credentialed to teach, only to discover that you're expected to be nothing more than a glorified babysitter to a bunch of immoral brats, and every time you try to actually "teach" get berated by parents, completely unsupported by administrators. How much would you love your job then?

You make it sound like the paycheck is so much!! :rotfl:rotfl

While socio-economic status is a GIGANTIC variable in student performance, one of the other factors is the culture itself. USA culture is VERY apathetic toward the academic, the arts, literature, etc...
Ive had conversations with kids "right off the boat" from Latin America that can range from art, to politics, to political ideas, philosophy, etc.. that i find mind boggling. Kids here?? i don't see that appreciation with many kids here. Some have actually been surprised that i read a book "for fun" LOL

Imagine spending thousands of dollars, going through school and getting credentialed to teach, only to discover that you're expected to be nothing more than a glorified babysitter to a bunch of immoral brats, and every time you try to actually "teach" get berated by parents, completely unsupported by administrators. How much would you love your job then?

LOL SO TRUE. I remember reading a study a few years ago that stated that the turnover rate is 50% for teachers within 5 years of starting their profession. Its A TOUGH job, to say the least.

I fail to see how someone's living conditions effect their intelligence. That argument will never fly with me. When my living conditions were less than desirable, it inspired me to work harder to get out of them, not the other way around. That's a concept lost on the kids of today... and apparently Kara.

I'm sorry nam but living conditions can absolutely affect the kids ability to learn. If their home life is terrible (for various reasons), god knows what going on in their neighborhoods, etc. All of these totally affect how the kids learns. I see it everyday with the inner city kids I teach. You're right it does inspire some to get out of it but it does the opposite to so many of tham.

I'm sorry nam but living conditions can absolutely affect the kids ability to learn. If their home life is terrible (for various reasons), god knows what going on in their neighborhoods, etc. All of these totally affect how the kids learns. I see it everyday with the inner city kids I teach. You're right it does inspire some to get out of it but it does the opposite to so many of tham.

I see the same thing............

and who on here is questioning the work ethic/drive of either the student or teacher while they sit at work on a company-bought computer posting on a toy message board on your employer's dime? :lol

But that doesn't make them suddenly dumber, as kara believes. Their "ability" to learn is just as capable as that of a child who comes from a "nuclear family." Their desire to do so is an entirely different issue, and one that can't and won't be corrected with schooling, or lowering/altering standards.

Back