Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Sneak peak: Backdrop in place, now on to the lights. Cutting that backdrop to fit was one of the hardest things I've had to do on this project, mainly because I didn't want to ruin it. Getting it placed in the right spot was equally difficult, and required more trimming, shifting, etc., but it's on the plexiglass panel with a diffusor screen behind it. (The roof is off right now, as I need access to the back to be able to make the light box).

View attachment 466561

Just.......stunning.[emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, fellas. The build on the dio is almost complete; next step will be building the table/cabinet to house this monstrosity.

OH. MY. GAHH.
Amazing work dude!!!!! Wow that diorama is insane!! I can?t wait to see more!

That is amazing!

Yep, I am missing out on so much awesomeness because the site has been malfunctioning so badly.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

And so true about the site. Half the time it won’t let me log on, and then it’s constantly reloading or won’t let me post images. Who would have thought a “migration” could F-up so much....

Well, it's been awhile since I updated, and the diorama is almost complete. I had to rebuild the back removable panel (behind the backdrop) to accommodate adding lights behind the panel. I cut the basic shape of the arch, steps and the floor behind the throne to keep the light from coming through the entire panel. The image is taped to a sheet of plexiglass and behind the plexiglass is a sheet of diffusor film (used by professional photographers).

IMG_8124 copy.jpg

I had to construct a "box" for the strip lights to go into. Based on an experiment I only needed to make the box 2" deep to ensure that there weren't any "spots" left by the lights (too close, even with the diffusor, and the lights would show up as individual dots behind the image). To further ensure that there wouldn't be any problems spreading out the light, I lined the entire inside of the box with metal reflective contractor duct tape (used for -- you guessed it -- duct work on furnaces) to help bounce the light and spread it evenly.

IMG_8125.jpg
IMG_8126.jpg
IMG_8127.jpg

Believe it or not, I used just two strong cabinet magnets (one on either side) to hold that entire light box to the back of the diorama. It's really only necessary to keep it in place, cause the bottom back and sides of the box actually will rest on the bottom of the cabinet I'll have to build to house this beast -- but they work perfectly for holding about 8 pounds of lengthy wood in the air.

IMG_8128.jpg

And a quick test of the backlit image. This isn't probably the level the lights will be at, I just wanted to test how the image looked overall. The roof above this portion of the diorama isn't back in place yet, so none of the other lights are what they will be once the whole thing is reassembled and lit up.

IMG_8129.jpg

WHOA!! That backlit image has so much depth to it! You did a great job dude, that looks simply amazing!!

Glorious!
Was really looking forward to seeing how this would come together.
Super job with the execution on this. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Can't wait to see the final version with all of the lights tuned to your satisfaction!

Thanks a lot, fellas. It was all the kind words, comments and encouragement (not to mention suggestions, tips, extra photos) from everyone that has helped keep this little project going. It’s been much appreciated.

That is FANTASTIC!
It is great to witness this all come together from SCRATCH as well as seeing your execution at problem solving the issues you'd run into along the way.
Thanks for all the updates and can't wait to see the final set up!

That is FANTASTIC!
It is great to witness this all come together from SCRATCH as well as seeing your execution at problem solving the issues you'd run into along the way.
Thanks for all the updates and can't wait to see the final set up!

Thanks, Paul. I hope it’s been more informative rather than boring. I’m hoping to have it all reassembled and lit up by this weekend. I need to have it together to be able to make accurate measurements for the cabinet, and then I can work on the cabinet/table legs.

Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

I have no words....they should have sent a poet[emoji846]
Seriously though, this is my favourite build. The patience, skill and fearlessness on display is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^ Thank you kindly. It’s definitely been a challenge for me, and I’m glad folks have responded so positively.

I still might add sound; but for now -- the diorama itself is finished. The camera didn't capture all the details the way the human eye sees it, so things are much brighter in the foreground than they are in reality. Comments and criticism welcome.

By the way, any ideas as to what to call this monstrosity would be greatly appreciated. I plan to have a "plaque" made with the title of the piece on the outside of the cabinet when it's finished.

More characters will be added over time. Enjoy.

_DSC3239.jpg
_DSC3240 copy.jpg
_DSC3241 copy.jpg
_DSC3242 copy.jpg
_DSC3243.jpg
_DSC3244.jpg
_DSC3245.jpg
_DSC3246.jpg
_DSC3247.jpg
_DSC3248.jpg
_DSC3249.jpg
_DSC3250.jpg