Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Thanks, Dennis.

Currently working on the steps to the right of Jabba's dais, so while I'm waiting for the glue to dry, I started adding the textured wallpaper to one of the arches.

View attachment 451939

This is an awesome trick!
But you always have the problem of making the edges seamless. How do you get them to look so perfect??
Thanks,
m.

Thanks. I sprayed the wood with industrial adhesive and laid the piece directly onto the unrolled wallpaper, then I used an x-acto to cut around it. Then glued on the the other two sides. Then I used my fingers to carefully rub flexible spackle into the edges to blend it in.

Thanks. I sprayed the wood with industrial adhesive and laid the piece directly onto the unrolled wallpaper, then I used an x-acto to cut around it. Then glued on the the other two sides. Then I used my fingers to carefully rub flexible spackle into the edges to blend it in.

You make that sound so easy! :lol
Really great work so far.

You make that sound so easy! :lol
Really great work so far.

Haha! Actually it really isn’t all that hard. Lining it up on the paper, then lining the narrow strip running up the center of the arch was the hardest part. Working with the spackle was just slow and time-consuming. And thanks for the support.

Well, my crap math skills struck again. Over the last couple of days I’ve been trying a different technique for making the stairs next to Jabba’s throne. Had what I thought was the completed framework for the steps on the right side. Turns out... one wrong error on the height of the 2nd riser, threw off the 3rd & 4th so badly, the only way to correct it is to scrap what’s already been done and start all over. Grrrr!

Taking a break from that for a bit.

Well, after catching my error on the stair risers (which left all but the 1st step short in height by an 1/8" -- meaning a total of 3/8" short), I rebuilt the riser shell -- still need to add the extension piece to the outside for the 1st & 2nd step -- I'm taking my time, and measuring each and every step as I go along to ensure it is correct. Each riser is cut along it's full length -- obviously every step getting shorter as the stairs ascend -- then each riser glued to its longer predecessor; I added spacers to make sure the distance to the outside of the wood (side to side) was the exact same distance from front to back (7" at it's narrowest point -- steps 3 & 4; and 10.5" at its widest -- steps 1 & 2).

One quick pic:

IMG_7730.jpg

Another quick pic of the stair riser shell -- with the extension to the side added.

IMG_7731.jpg

In awe of the craftmanship! Going to try the wallpaper instead of plaster on mine to....

In awe of the craftmanship! Going to try the wallpaper instead of plaster on mine to....

Thanks, and using wallpaper will definitely save a ton of time -- Good luck with your build.

Basic construction of the steps to the right of Jabba's throne is complete. Started working on the steps to the left -- have most of the pieces cut out and ready to start gluing. In the meantime:

IMG_7732 copy.jpg

IMG_7733 copy.jpg

Keep the pictures coming! Nice framing on the steps.

The construction part of the steps to the left of Jabba's throne is finally finished. A little more complicated than the ones on the right, but it all worked out in the end, I guess. Had to do this one in layered sections due to the curves and angles -- and needing underlying structural support to keep those pieces from warping over time, and to be able to support the weight of figures -- even though they don't weigh that much.

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736 copy.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

I have one more arch to make, and then I can start on the outer walls of the display, the floor and the "ceiling".

This is so exciting to watch unfold. Truly amazing work Stryker.

Thank you. But I wish I could say it's turning out perfectly. I found out after I added the final set of steps that the main arch was too narrow (by 3/16" of an inch). When I first started working on this thing I ended up making it too wide and had to cut the main arch in half at the center (what I failed to do was factor in the width of the saw blade) when I put it back together it ended up too narrow -- although it looked like it was right. So, I ended up cutting it in half AGAIN although going through all the structural supports was a pain, I ended up adding a spacer to the front and correcting it. It might be just a smidge over the actual width by about 1/32" of an inch, but at this point -- after adding even more support -- it's going to stay that way. In the meantime, I started cutting out the final arch/doorway for the piece to the side and back of Han's display, and added more "texture" to one of the finished walls.

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

These in progress photos rock! Thanks for sharing, seeing the progress unfold is exciting 🤗

Here is the arch after adjusting it to the correct width with the steps and the back landing. It's not easy to see in the pics so far, but the dot-patterned texture (vinyl drawer liner material) was added to the back section that sits behind the throne. All of the steps will get this same treatment shortly. Once it's sprayed with primer it'll be easier to see. The wallpaper won't need primer has it already feels like it has some sort of "primer" on it.

IMG_7741 copy.jpg

Back