Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

I do, actually, drink a lot of water. Unfortunately, I have a chronic immune deficiency illness that requires I take a lot of medication (and two of those medications have detrimental side-effects to the kidneys); I have a sinking feeling when they finish their tests there going to tell me that unless I stop the medications which are keeping me alive, I'm going to have this problem until my kidneys are finally destroyed and I end up on dialysis. There's nothing good about getting old...

Thanks. Yeah, according to the Urologist once you get kidney stones, a person is more likely to keep getting them -- I sympathize with your friend. The first one I ever had was about fifteen years ago, and I was good until last year. I was deathly ill, anemic as hell, losing blood every time I went to the bathroom (about 40 times a day), and ended up in the ER several times. Then I ended up with kidney stones on top of it. My doctors and I honestly thought my number was up, but new medication turned things around and I've been in remission since (at least for what was killing me) -- the stones, not so much, apparently.

Anyway, nobody wants to hear me whining...

So, this is what I've done today so far:

Cleaned up and finished the textures on the two pieces I had been working on previously. Filling in the gaps and edges is a slow and tedious process that requires daintily working with the plaster material one tiny pinch at a time and working into the seams and trying to blend them. And then I took some pics with them in context with the other pieces.

View attachment 453913

View attachment 453914

View attachment 453915

View attachment 453916

View attachment 453917

View attachment 453918

View attachment 453919

What you have done today is great, but it is far less important than what you have told us about your heath. I am deeply sorry that you are suffering that immune defficiency. I hope that your work with the diorama will bring you one of the best medicines you can take for your condition: happiness.
Keep up the good work, Striker.

Regarding the other, way less important stuff: amazing your job covering seams. Can't tell from the textured wallpaper.
My only nit is the Sideshow Carbonite Han.... I think I said it before: a job like this deserves the full wall on top of which the carbonite block rested. The width of the wall was key to highlight the block at its center. Only when you see what it looked like, can you understand what an restricted version of it the SSC piece actually is... :-(
Check it out:

_palace_lor_pic02_comparison_b_small.jpg

With the width you have alloted to that wall, you could do much better without the SSC piece, I think. You would only need the carbonite block proper. After what I have seen you do thus far, I am sure you would find your own sweet way to do all the greeblies arond it. It would be majestic, while the SSC piece is just too narrow.

Best,
m.

Thanks, asgardianboy. I appreciate the well-wishes. And yes, keeping busy with this project has helped get my mind off of my ailments (as much as it can).

As far as Han/Carbonite, I see your point, but to tell you the truth this piece isn't really about that part of the display. I included him because I have that piece, and the band -- otherwise I would have just done the Main Arch, the stairs and maybe the BBQ pit. But, since I have one last large space left to make this dio, I figured I'd fill it -- chances are this will be the last one I ever have a chance to make. I do plan to add as many additional elements, however abbreviated, to give a sense of what we saw on-screen, but the main focus of this diorama is the massive Jabba -- and to be able to populate it with as many characters as I can affordably gather. I'm hoping to replicate the grating light situation coming down the walls, hopefully conjure up some of the tables and other knick-knacks, have the additional pipes hanging down from the ceiling, and maybe add a few extra wall filaments, plus have some orange spots shining down on Han.

Here's the final arch I finished cleaning up the edges on in its place next to the band:

IMG_7794 copy.jpg

Finished texturizing the final structural pieces, but I still need to clean up the edges. Then I can start on the floor (the grating), the trapdoor cutout, the surrounding diorama walls, and the ceiling.

IMG_7803 copy.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

Edges cleaned up. Working on the curtains for the arch next to the Han display.

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7807 copy.jpg

You are killing it on the wall texturing. Looks AWESOME!

Finished the curtains and started working on the mask for the Rancor Pit grating.

IMG_7808.jpg

IMG_7809.jpg

Cheers, Chakaman. I’m waiting on a new table saw blade before I can do much more — my cuts were starting to get pretty rough with the old one.

Well, not much to report. (No pics, anyway). I got the new saw blade and started working on the "floor" and "ceiling" for this -- and it's been an absolute nightmare. Trying to use 2' x 4' foot Oak panels (about 3/16" thick) -- and since the mills that cut this stuff don't seem to really give a rat's behind if they're square or not -- trying to square them up to each other has been a PITA to say the least. Plus, I need some sections to have cut outs (like the Rancor Pit grating, the trap door -- at least the impression of it, as it won't actually work -- and a removable ceiling panel that can be lifted up and out of the way to get at the double arch with the lights in it (next to the band) -- in case I need to change either of the light bulbs at some point. Total floor and ceiling length and width at this point is 91.75" x 33 3/8" -- and since I'm working with roughly (but not really) 24" x 48" panels -- you can imagine the jigsaw puzzle I've been trying to manufacture, and glue together -- I don't have clamps big enough to put an 8' piece together so the floor will essentially be two pieces, and the ceiling three (counting the removable piece - which is only 4.25" wide).

Half of the Rancor pit grating is cut out. Took 2 days, and it's all done by hand -- looks sloppy, but that's as good as it's going to get. Hopefully once it's painted up, it won't be as noticeable. It's propped under the "floor" at the moment to hold it in place, so it looks a little uneven, as well.

IMG_7815.jpg

Half of the Rancor pit grating is cut out. Took 2 days, and it's all done by hand -- looks sloppy, but that's as good as it's going to get. Hopefully once it's painted up, it won't be as noticeable. It's propped under the "floor" at the moment to hold it in place, so it looks a little uneven, as well.

View attachment 455120

That looks a great!!!! Thats not sloppy, it’s barely even noticeable that it was made by hand, awesome job dude! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

Nice! The by-hand cuts are well done. Those tiny imperfections will give it a more banged-up look which I think will look great 👍🏽

That looks a great!!!! Thats not sloppy, it’s barely even noticeable that it was made by hand, awesome job dude! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

Nice! The by-hand cuts are well done. Those tiny imperfections will give it a more banged-up look which I think will look great ����

Thanks very much. Appreciate it.

I agree, they look great! They will look fantastic painted up.

This is epic! What an amazing project. Just wanted to add that I also think the cut-out sections on the trap-door will look great when painted If you hit them with highlights and dry-brushing, they'll look like banged up metal.
Anyway, thanks for the updates!:clap

This is epic! What an amazing project. Just wanted to add that I also think the cut-out sections on the trap-door will look great when painted If you hit them with highlights and dry-brushing, they'll look like banged up metal.
Anyway, thanks for the updates!:clap

Thank you kindly.

And here is the finished grate... finally.

IMG_7817.jpg

Back