STORMTROOPER PF officially in development!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shoulda stayed in development longer so we didn't get an entire line of troopers with awkward poses, weird proportions, and bad helmets :|

shoulda stayed in development longer so we didn't get an entire line of troopers with awkward poses, weird proportions, and bad helmets :|

I thought all Troopers had "Awkward poses, weird proportions and bad helmets". That's basically what the films gave us....

... what?

The proportions are fine...
I've never heard someone talk **** about the helmets. I'm sure some people have before, like ever in existence but they are overall pretty well loved. Hell star wars started the prop collecting **** pretty much and the helmets are up there.
And try make an awkward pose in storm trooper armor, it's hard as hell due to it's limited range of movement ;p For example, try do the bowlegged whatever pose this tk is doing. It's hard and you'd be bending some armor :|

Doing all those things wrong is just what sideshow excels at :p

Except they don't ;p though I can understand why you feel that way, with your mind being all blown up and everything :p

The whole "oh but anyone who seems them would recognize them as a storm trooper!" is such a dumb argument. You can say the exact same thing about the rubies costume which is complete ****

2008_Rubies_sup_trooper2.jpg

good company for this pf though :p i feel like you would love it

These are Stormtrooper helmets too :wink1: I guess they are no different from the screen used in some people's opinion. LOL

0.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

man i really feel for people who had to live with the rubies being the highest scale option back in the day, so bad.... all of the lids they did :|

The sad thing is the jaw is closer on most of those than ss ;p I have no idea why they have the ridge come out at such an angle. You can just glance at it and instantly tell it's just way off.

lawl wtf

why is the SS 1:6 better than the PF o_0? Hell it even has more detail, the eyes actually sink past the ridge like they're supposed too!

lawl wtf

why is the SS 1:6 better than the PF o_0? Hell it even has more detail, the eyes actually sink past the ridge like they're supposed too!

The 1/6 SSC figure is indeed a tad better than the PF. Not by much though, especially when compared to Marmit or HT. Heck, even Medi had a better helmet, though a bit squished on parts, a thing that could be fixed by the hairdryer/boiling water though.

The 1/6 SSC figure is indeed a tad better than the PF. Not by much though, especially when compared to Marmit or HT. Heck, even Medi had a better helmet, though a bit squished on parts, a thing that could be fixed by the hairdryer/boiling water though.

I don't think it's great, and a really zoomed up close in shot like that it's not that easy to tell but it looks like the jaw/nose ridge doesn't come out too much, the eyes are less narrow, and the eye indention is actually there too. Seems a fair bit better, not as good as the others but still way better than the PF. I also definitely don't want to be fixing anything with a hairdryer or boiled water!

The way you guys talk about how "awful" the Stormtroopers by Sideshow are is a bit hilarious to me. Perhaps it's because I'm just a casual fan, but really, the differences are just so insignificant.

How will you guys handle the horrors when in Rogue One,Darth Vader has a symmetrical helmet or Stormtroopers have a .005mm difference in snout length compared to the Stormtrooper at the left side of the screen at 3:55 into a New Hope? :p

The way you guys talk about how "awful" the Stormtroopers by Sideshow are is a bit hilarious to me. Perhaps it's because I'm just a casual fan, but really, the differences are just so insignificant.

How will you guys handle the horrors when in Rogue One,Darth Vader has a symmetrical helmet or Stormtroopers have a .005mm difference in snout length compared to the Stormtrooper at the left side of the screen at 3:55 into a New Hope? :p

I enjoy it easily, because I only care about Original Trilogy stuff. I enjoy looking at original helmets and props and admiring how they were made back then with their good (wonderful sculpts and outstanding creativity) and bad (roughness and asymmetry) by the talented ILM artists. But for me both the good and bad are an intrinsic part of what makes these props what they are: a natural part of Star Wars. When you idealize them you get into the SE realm, and that is not quite OT. And this is because we have the eyes of a prop collector, not just a casual fan who enjoys Star Wars with his friends after eating a pizza

The problem is that some companies like Gentle Giant, Marmit or Hot Toys managed to make these sculpts quite accurate, while Sideshow or Attakus make them like they were originating from the crappy Rubies masks and child helmets I posted above. We are not talking about $10 action figures, these are high end collectibles, and a bit more care should be considered when making them. But accuracy is not there on any Sideshow Stormtrooper or Sandtrooper figure/statue, the same way there are no natural poses on any Imperial trooper PF's (but accuracy is better on the 1/6 Sideshow TIE Pilot and AT-AT Driver figures). In the end these companies know there are people who would buy anything they make no matter how it really looks.

And remember that without people like us who care a bit about accuracy, you'd still be stuck with the Stormtrooper helmets like those crappy Rubies above. Oh, wait... you still got helmets like those crappy Rubies above on the Stormtrooper and Sandie PF's LOL. :p Rubified helmets

I agree: ignorance is bliss :lol

I can appreciate trying to get as close to possible to the source material, but some things just go beyond what can be expected of collectibles. I always expect a certain level of inaccuracies. It's just the nature of collecting. If you expect perfection, you're going to be disappointed in these products 99% of the time which takes all enjoyment out if you ask me.

I can appreciate trying to get as close to possible to the source material, but some things just go beyond what can be expected of collectibles. I always expect a certain level of inaccuracies. It's just the nature of collecting. If you expect perfection, you're going to be disappointed in these products 99% of the time which takes all enjoyment out if you ask me.

No one asks for 100% accuracy, not in 1:1 scale, and certainly not in smaller sizes. But like I said above, there are companies which already did better Stormtrooper helmet sculpts (some many years ago like Gentle Giant and Marmit), you would only think Sideshow would learn something from this. They only learned that they can release almost anything because there are buyers for it.

The small percentage (<1%) of collectors out there aren't into the smallest minute detail on a stormtrooper helmet. Sideshow and Hot Toys know this and know that the product will still sell to the other 99% if they make a helmet that is 95% accurate.

I can appreciate that you have a passion for it so I'm curious to know what your take on the new Sandtrooper PF helmet is.

The small percentage (<1%) of collectors out there aren't into the smallest minute detail on a stormtrooper helmet. Sideshow and Hot Toys know this and know that the product will still sell to the other 99% if they make a helmet that is 95% accurate.

I can appreciate that you have a passion for it so I'm curious to know what your take on the new Sandtrooper PF helmet is.

Hot Toys knows about these issues and thus they made a much better helmet in 1/6 than any of Sideshow versions. Heck they are even designing a cool ROTJ Stormtrooper in 1/6, keeping almost all the details from that peculiar armor and helmet. So HT is different compared to SSC, and in a good way. Long ago Gentle Giant managed to scan a screen used Stormie helmet and thus their mini-busts are the most accurate. Marmit did a great job on their figures as well.

The Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper PF helmets are almost identical in sculpt. The differences lay in the weathering and a few stripes removed on the Sandtrooper (this is accurate), and the Sandie seems a tad shorter. But the long face/jaw of these helmets is still present alas - that being the main issue here. Plus the Sandie should have had a longer frown (the gray mouth) because Sandies are Stunt. The PF buckets are not the worse scaled helmets out there (Attakus has its own issues too, and so does the new Gentle Giant mini-bust), but for the price paid SSC could have done better, especially at this time and age, when all the info and details are out there up for grabs. :)

Lawl if you think it's a small difference like that. Are your statues leaning? Are there scratches and scuffs all over your statues that you can't see? It seems like you have no eye for anything.

I have no problem with the helmets being symmetrical, or the changed ears etc in R1. They look fine. Here's an example of "medium" changes in detail on the helmets.

s1.jpg

All of these are wrong and in general less detailed then they should be (even compared to their 1:6 counter part) and are not small details but v0v. **** happens, they just happen to be ****tier at doing them not only in terms of accuracy but in general shape and detail then literally everyone else putting out tks. But lets move on.

These are not just "changes" or "idealization" it's literally just a way off.

s2.jpg

The jaw comes ridge angle is too low and causes the jaw to come out too far, the frown to be too small, the eyes too narrow, the brows too thick. The eye area might as well not even be recessed, and it causes to the dome to be way off too. Seriously it's like looking at two paintings on a wall and one is crooked. The fact that you can't see it has nothing to do with you being a "casual" fan. It's just off in a huge way in a matter of angles and apparently you can't see it. If you had a characters whose face off by another 10-20 degrees you probably shouldn't be ok with it (dear god do I hope you're not ok with it).

*note: I can't photoshop so sorry for the **** ms paint :p left side is an actual hero helmet which is unfortunately not a 100% profile shot but it's the closest I could easily find though you can still quite easily tell how off it is.

edit: Also I look forward to the R1 troopers, cause then at least SS can 3d print it so they don't have to actually do any work themselves. I feel bad for ******** on SS' sculptors too much (really this is a result of whoever was in charge of the overrall design and signing off on things) but other then that new guy who did Voltron and the new RS all their best sculpts have been done by someone one else. Some are still pretty up there like Tony C. But their most loves ones seem to be done by other studios for them.

Back