Steve Jobs has died

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just goes to show how much I pay attention. I didn't even know he was sick.
RIP to a great innovator and contributor to technological advancement.

To be completely accurate only one of these three men actually packages and sells percieved happiness. Disney. His contributions on society far outweigh anyone else mentioned in here.

That's where I was going with the value of art above tech. Art gives its audience a direct experience of an entire universe constructed purely of the values the artist chooses to deem important enough to include in their work. Before Disney, there had never been art as accessible (who couldn't afford to go to the movies in 1925? and who was too young to understand a Disney feature?), all-encompassing (animated, full-color, musical cinema?), and life-affirming (where in the early Disney corpus does joy not triumph over evil?).

The 19th century at it's most optimistic still had an element of tragedy to it. The best art of the 18th century was inaccessible to most of the population. The 17th century was only just discovering how to elevate the arts into formidible craft. Before that were a handful of prodigies either selling for the private leisure of the extremely wealthy or were slaves to the Church, and even the best of them were heroic loners in a sea of misery. (Forget anything before Da Vinci, and life in the rest of the world outside of Europe, before and after was essentially primitive; nasty, poor, brutish and short.)

Disney packaged the uniquely American sense of life in a way that defied all doubt. It was simple, spectacular, pure, and it made happy endings seem like the most natural thing in the world. While Europe was decaying back into Medieval horror and existential angst, America was exploding the primitive lie that poverty, war, disease and death were all that people could look forward to.

Disney films packaged and shipped that view of the universe, a perspective without which none of America's achievements (or the rest of the world's, for that matter) would have been possible.

Yeh, there's nothing at all wrong with cultural optimism, though as an export it can be a two-sided coin. It becomes part of a cultural narrative that some embrace to varying degrees and some violently oppose. It's in this respect that Ford's model-T and Jobs' i-YouNameIt trump Disney's animation for positive global impact IMO. In terms of their global embrace they were innovators who are seen, universally, as being free of any cultural agenda.

I think the difference is that regardless of culture, those objects are still useful. The distilled essence of a culture like America's is not useful to those who want no part of that system of values. The thing is, the tech doesn't happen where the opposite type of culture prevails.

I can't think of a culture on Earth as diametrically opposed to ours as the culture of the Middle East. If you can show me how a microprocessor could happen in the midst of that---let alone something as comparatively crude as an internal combustion engine---I'll ____ you one gold brick, every day for the rest of my life. I'll even pay shipping.

Innovation is not culturally neutral.

302167_275368695816637_121094891244019_963766_167531575_n.jpg

NICE!!! :lol

Just goes to show how much I pay attention. I didn't even know he was sick.
RIP to a great innovator and contributor to technological advancement.

It was kept fairly under wraps. He was pretty secretive about it. I don't think anyone outside his close circle knew the end was near.

Anyway, I've never found myself so choked up over the death of someone I didn't even know. I have grown up knowing his name and using his products. My family's first computer about two decades ago was an Apple and I've been loyal ever since. Just really sucks. :(

It was kept fairly under wraps. He was pretty secretive about it. I don't think anyone outside his close circle knew the end was near.

Anyway, I've never found myself so choked up over the death of someone I didn't even know. I have grown up knowing his name and using his products. My family's first computer about two decades ago was an Apple and I've been loyal ever since. Just really sucks. :(

Same here, not even MJ made me feel this bummed out, not even close.

As soon as it was announced he was stepping down as CEO, everyone pretty much knew though.

Same here, not even MJ made me feel this bummed out, not even close.

As soon as it was announced he was stepping down as CEO, everyone pretty much knew though.

I wasn't necessarily upset over MJ's death. I mean, I was shocked because it was unexpected, but I never felt any sort of connection with him. Not the same with Jobs.

When he announced he was stepping down, but would be on Apple's board or whatever, I thought, "Okay, the stress of being the CEO is getting to him. A less involved role, though still prominent, is what he needs." Maybe I just didn't read between the lines, but I didn't think he would die a month later. :(

My family's first computer about two decades ago was an Apple and I've been loyal ever since. Just really sucks. :(

The first computers I used back in high school were Apple IIs (old fart, here). In the past few years, I've owned three iPods, two iPhones, a MacBook and an iPad.

I can't think of a culture on Earth as diametrically opposed to ours as the culture of the Middle East. If you can show me how a microprocessor could happen in the midst of that---let alone something as comparatively crude as an internal combustion engine---I'll ____ you one gold brick, every day for the rest of my life. I'll even pay shipping.

Innovation is not culturally neutral.

Without the mathematical, medicinal and architectural progress of medieval Islam, we could still be in the dark ages.

There's no denying the Middle East of today is in a shambolic state compared to that Golden Age, and the culture has evolved to be a lot more repressive now than it was before I feel, but still, the medieval Middle East had nowhere near the level of liberty and freedom that the West enjoys today, yet innovation was rampant by most accounts.

So I disagree with the statement that innovation is not culturally neautral - there are shades of gray as with most things

even though I was always a PC guy, this news is very sad. I did start out on a Mac 512K ..Apple will suffer w/o him. It's like the Lakers losing Kobe Bryant. Some people are irreplacable. Too young for a genius to die.

I've been a Mac guy since the 90's,
used a PowerMac 6200 back in the day, then a Power Mac 8600, iMac,
G3, G4, G5 for work and MacMini @ home...
Ironically, I've never gotten an iPhone or an iPad yet, as I really don't need them... would love to get an iPad eventually though...

It's weird to feel bummed out. I never really understood how someone got sad when a celebrity died or a notable because they never knew them but with Jobs it was different. I looked forward to his presentations and how candid he was about things. I'm not in tears or rocking back and forth holding my knees or anything but I can't help but admit that today sucks.

It's weird to feel bummed out. I never really understood how someone got sad when a celebrity died or a notable because they never knew them but with Jobs it was different. I looked forward to his presentations and how candid he was about things. I'm not in tears or rocking back and forth holding my knees or anything but I can't help but admit that today sucks.

Part of if for me is because he didn't kill himself or cause harm to himself with drugs or alcohol. He was one of the most powerful men in technology, but was powerless against cancer. So sad.

:lecture this.

I remember WAY back after Princess Diana died I was working as a bank teller to get through college and one of my older co-workers turned to me out of the blue and said "I miss her". I was like "WTF?" and then I say that she was looking at a magazine with Princess Di on the cover...and then I still was like "WTF?".

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I wonder if there is any correlation between the iPhone 4S announcement / iphone5 non-announcement on 10/4 and Jobs' death yesterday. Just wondering if Apple has the iPhone5 ready and that they purposely withheld the announcement because the board knew of Jobs situation.

Back