Steve Jobs has died

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP Steve...

Walt Disney revolutionized children's entertainment.
yes he did...and more. lolz
5a18c_demotivational-posters-walt-disney.jpg

Undoubtedly true - but he had nowhere near the positive universal social impact that Ford and Jobs had with their contributions to the way we live. Personally I think he took an axe to good, honest storytelling and corporatised and sanitised the heck out of it - I'm not a fan. I can easily imagine a world without Disney. It's harder to think about a world without affordable motorised individual transport, or sophisticated, accessible personal technology solutions. Put Disney in the same sentence as Spielberg, but I don't think he belongs in the same company as Ford and Jobs.

Steve Jobs disagreed with you. Being compared to Disney was (in his view) one of the greatest compliments he ever received. In fact, Disney was one of his inspirations. Jobs wasn't as interested in building affordable cool tech as he was in changing the way people look at things. I don't remember the exact quote, but he once said something to the effect that computers have a life expectancy of six months before they are obsolete, but people will see great art for generations.

Disney created some great art. And in his own way, so did Jobs.

Thanks for helping to bring us the PC, Pixar, the ipod, iphone, ipad, thank you for knocking down Microsoft a few notches. You lived the dream Mr. Jobs and I hope you rest in peace.

The storytelling in Disney movies during Walt's lifetime was epic, and a profound advancement in the telling of those classic fairy tales. I am a fan, and I think that art is just as integral to the enrichment of society as technology. More so, in many respects. Particularly in the way it conveys and preserves the values which animate that society. American art that was truly American is a dying breed, and its waning does not portend good things for the future Henry Fords and Steve Jobses.

I can't agree that Disney's vision of fairytale narratives constituted a profound advancement. In fact the way he retold those stories is my main issue with his legacy. The graphics are undoubtedly beautifully conceived and rendered, but Disney's take on storytelling is wholly American-centric. It is a brand of narrative that appeals directly to the American psyche. No doubt he was a great American in this respect, and it could be argued that as a cultural export Disney's works nonetheless crossed cultural and language barriers - but I'd still argue that he butchered the original source material and reframed a storytelling tradition in ways that were culturally exclusive. On the other side of the coin, Disney -as well as being a great artist - was also a technological innovator. I'm selling him short by not acknowledging his influence on those who followed in his film-making footsteps.

Steve Jobs disagreed with you.

pfft, what would that hack know.... :lol

Seriously, I'm not denying Disney was a great talent. Spielberg is certainly no hack, and there likely wouldn't have been a Spielberg without Disney. Was his contribution to the world as positive and revolutionary as that of Ford and Jobs? Jobs may have greatly admired Disney, but I personally think Jobs is streets ahead of him.

I'm of the opinion that the American psyche--particularly in the early decades of the 20th century--was the foundation of the greatest culture since Golden Age Athens. The European fairy tales were morbid reflections of a morbid society, and America was humanity's escape from that. It's not a coincidence that Disney's versions presented a universe infinitely more optimistic than the darkness of the Old World.

I think it can also be argued that Apple, Inc. is a direct descendant and beneficiary of that cultural optimism.

To be completely accurate only one of these three men actually packages and sells percieved happiness. Disney. His contributions on society far outweigh anyone else mentioned in here.

Ford's contribution was not in cars. It was helping to change the paradigm between labor and ownership. One can argue he had an effective way of handling unions and labor protests as well.

Steve Jobs packaged existing tech in a cool, hip way.

I'm of the opinion that the American psyche--particularly in the early decades of the 20th century--was the foundation of the greatest culture since Golden Age Athens. The European fairy tales were morbid reflections of a morbid society, and America was humanity's escape from that. It's not a coincidence that Disney's versions presented a universe infinitely more optimistic than the darkness of the Old World.

I think it can also be argued that Apple, Inc. is a direct descendant and beneficiary of that cultural optimism.

Yeh, there's nothing at all wrong with cultural optimism, though as an export it can be a two-sided coin. It becomes part of a cultural narrative that some embrace to varying degrees and some violently oppose. It's in this respect that Ford's model-T and Jobs' i-YouNameIt trump Disney's animation for positive global impact IMO. In terms of their global embrace they were innovators who are seen, universally, as being free of any cultural agenda.

The more I think about Jobs' passing the more bummed I get. Even though he has been a pioneer and visionary for decades, it sort of felt like he was only just getting going, that he had plenty of ideas left in him. But of course we should be grateful for what he was able to achieve. IMO he did a lot more than simply repackage existing tech in a cool, hip way.

The more I think about Jobs' passing the more bummed I get. Even though he has been a pioneer and visionary for decades, it sort of felt like he was only just getting going, that he had plenty of ideas left in him. But of course we should be grateful for what he was able to achieve. IMO he did a lot more than simply repackage existing tech in a cool, hip way.

:lecture Absolutely. I always get a kick out of the people that label Apple as just "trendy." There's a lot more to it, and most people just can't see past the exterior.

If you're setting the trend there is nothing wrong with being trendy. It is abusrd to suggest that Apple is pushing new technology. They push existing tech and make it more accessible (you watch and see how many people are going to think Siri is because of Apple since it's in the 4S now). There's nothing wrong with that. They do it better than most, and are often times setting the trend. They are masters at selling you something you don't need or have already because they present it so ____ing awesome.

All of the tech talk in here is understandable. But let's not overlook that he was also one of the best philanthropists of our time. He gave back. And his charitable work literally saved lives (the parents of young children who received life-saving organ transplants thanks to Jobs are just now starting to come out of the woodwork to give their thanks publicly).

It is sad when any person dies from a decease. So I pray for his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Back