Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I really hope we get Blaine.

Right on. But we've kinda got to, right?
How many films/episodes are planned at this point? :dunno

Wherever Roland is meeting Jake, it's not OUR New York.

Ah . . . good eye. Interesting. So the street fight is not near the Dixie Pig, eh?

The writer team is concerning. Akiva Goldsman is mostly terrible, but has written some decent stuff in the past.

I'll have to take your word for that, because if it exists I've never seen it.

When I heard "script by Akiva & Pinkner" I went:

ColorfulEmbarrassedEmeraldtreeskink.gif

69199-get-used-to-disappointment-gif-bjgn.gif

:dunno
___

Ah . . . good eye. Interesting. So the street fight is not near the Dixie Pig, eh?

Doesn't seem to be. We'll find out!

I'll have to take your word for that, because if it exists I've never seen it.

Looks like I confused his writer credits with producer credits. I don't think A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man or I Am Legend are terrible movies. Pretty sure I used the word 'decent' instead of 'good', and I stand by that. But yeah, his resume is not good.

Man I really hope we get Blaine.

Gregory Hill worked on pre-production back in 2014 before the project stalled again:

PHafrkbtlJftdb_1_l.jpg

That pink rectangle on the far left looks like guess who?

This may or may not be a concept for a Dogan:

latest

BANGO SKANK was here
__

EW has some sweet coverage on the The Dark Tower. Enjoy.

An immense shape, like a floating fortress in the mist, looms over the city. At times, it vanishes completely, masked by a curtain of seaside clouds.

When the midday sun breaks through, the gray cliffs and sky-scraping flattop resemble the ruins of impossible ancient architecture. This is Table Mountain, dominating the skyline of Cape Town, South Africa, and in its shadow, another monolith is rising — the film version of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower.

The six-guns-and-sorcery saga currently spans eight novels, comic books and short stories, and is woven throughout King’s larger body of bestsellers. It’s a genre mash-up of fantasy, sci-fi, westerns, horror, and mystery, set in a world — or worlds, plural — that are as endless as any built by J.R.R. Tolkien, George Lucas, and J.K. Rowling.

But really, the story comes down to something fairly simple, expressed in the opening line of King’s first book in the series, which will also open the movie: The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

For those new to the tale, it’s largely set in a dimension called Mid-World, where the apocalypse has already come and gone — and now rolls toward our own like a breaking wave. For Constant Readers who are already steeped in King’s lore, director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel’s movie (which debuts in theaters Feb. 17) will remix the novels much the way superhero movies often draw from decades of comics mythology to create a new cinematic origin story.

The same stones, but a different structure.

BEHOLD, A GUNSLINGER
Standing on the horizon of this otherworldly landscape is Idris Elba’s Roland Deschain — The Gunslinger — a frontier version of a medieval knight who is thirsting for revenge and haunted by visions of a tower that is surrounded by a field of dusky pink roses. He doesn’t fully understand what it means. No one does.

“When we meet Roland he’s a bit lost,” says Elba, sitting in the sun during a break from one of the movie’s dungeon-like sets. “He’s been walking around for a long time, so he definitely feels like a man who’s… coiled.”

In the parlance of King’s books, Roland “has forgotten the face of his father.” “That’s a sense of, ‘You’ve forgotten your purpose,’” Elba says. At the start of the film, Roland is driven by rage, but deep down he is something else. “He’s a protector,” Elba says. He just needs something to reawaken that part of himself.

Off in the distance is his quarry: Matthew McConaughey’s Walter, a.k.a. The Man in Black, a charismatic warlock who decimated Mid-World, is responsible for destroying everyone Roland loved, and is looking for more worlds to end. Bringing down the Tower is one way to end them all at once. (EW will be getting to him in Part II of our Dark Tower coverage today.)

Walter is searching for someone, too – a teenager named Jake Chambers (15-year-old Tom Taylor, in his first film role), who lives in our world and possesses “The Shine,” a powerful psychic ability that King readers should recognize backwards or forwards. Jake’s extraordinary magic could help Walter break the ethereal beams that keep the Tower standing and maintain order in the multiverse.

For Roland, protecting this boy could restore his nobility, putting him back on the path to protecting the Tower itself. “Until he meets Jake, he doesn’t have anything to believe in, really,” Elba says. “He’s really pent up and releases his soul through [defending] the boy.”

THE FACE OF A HERO
One obvious change from the novels is the fact that Roland has always been depicted as a white man with blue eyes, although to Elba that change is no deeper than a layer of skin.

As we sit outside his trailer, watching as the shape of Table Mountain vanishes and reappears in the mist overhead, we talk of Stephen King’s reaction to his casting, which was: “I love it. I think he’s a terrific actor, one of the best working in the business now.”

Elba smiles. Roland doesn’t smile much, but King’s words seem to nudge him.

“I was thrilled. I was thrilled to get this job,” Elba says. “I was thrilled because, you know, it’s an alternative to what you could say, what Roland is described as.”

I ask him if he means a white guy, and Elba shrugs. It’s more than that. “A white guy in a sense, but, also just that you could make a version of this film that appealed to a slightly more action-hero type character and I don’t do those films. I haven’t done many actions films,” he says. “I like to bring a little depth and bring a real character. And what’s been fun is, Nik’s really up for that. So we do takes that are a little bit more commercial, if you like, and we do takes that are f—ing deep, like we’re making an independent film. It’s an iconic character. I want to get it right.”

With Hollywood still struggling with diversity and inclusion, exemplified by the #OscarsSoWhite controversy this year, his casting in the role does seem to be freighted with extra significance. I asked Elba if he considers the race-swapping of the character to be a big deal.

“It’s better just to treat it like no big deal,” Elba answers. “There should be no difference. The character that was written in Stephen’s imagination, it could be any color. It just happens to be me and, you know? In the artwork, it just so happens to be a white guy, but I don’t think that makes any difference. … I think what’s great about it, if I want to say anything about it, is that it is a sign of the times in terms of a colorless society. People go, ‘A good actor is a good actor,’ you know?”

A SCENE OF STEALTH
Roland stands on a rooftop, the wind rustling his floor-length duster. A small camera and sound crew orbits him as he steps through a shattered window into a hallway, seeping with rainwater.

In the movie, this is the roof of the Dixie Pig, a way station in New York City where creatures from the nether can gather, disguise themselves as humans, and head out to prey. In real life, it’s Werdmuller Centre, a decomposing former shopping mall in southeast Cape Town, which has been converted into a hive of horrors for The Dark Tower.

The plaster stalactites crying droplets from the ceiling are real, but it’s hard to know if the graffiti smearing the walls is set-design or just another natural phenomenon of abandonment.

The actors lurking in the shadows ahead are Taheen, demonic, half-human creatures with animalistic qualities — but they are currently in our world. They disguise themselves as human beings with rubbery masks, but their true identities are given away by a scar-like red seam running down the sides of their necks.

As he ventures down the hallway, Roland emerges into a room dangling with what appear to be hundreds of scalps — the long clusters of hair drooping down and swaying in the breeze like spider legs.

Really, they’re just wigs the Taheen can choose from when they need to venture beyond the walls of the Dixie Pig. Thinking the Gunslinger is distracted by the strange sight, a fiend leaps from the corner and is promptly dispatched by a swing from the butt of Roland’s revolver. He doesn’t shoot. He’s not trigger-happy. His revolvers fire only when necessary.

“He’s just very efficient in that sense,” Elba says. “You know, if he can clear a room with five bullets as supposed to six, he will.”

From the Hall of Hair, Roland slips into another room as his infiltration of the Dixie Pig continues. This bare, concrete walled torture chamber has a single dentist chair in the middle, rimmed by a corona of blood. Whoever – or whatever – died here, died badly.

A doughy, middle-aged man (who is not really a man) mops up quietly. He has a thick red line running down one side of his neck. Roland is poised to draw, but sends the lowly monster scurrying with a single, unbroken stare instead. Very Eastwood.

This Taheen is not interested in tangling with a Gunslinger. Roland is the last of their kind, a group of warriors who wielded six-guns but were really guided by something else, something unknowable. Think of the spiritual side of a samurai – or the Force-sensitivity of a Jedi, from yet another galaxy altogether.

“There’s a mystical element to him,” Elba says during his break between scenes. “He’s about 200 years old. He’s been around for a long time, and has a deep-rooted connection with the [supernatural] nature of the film. Roland’s completely tuned into that. When you meet him, he’s very much a stoic man, doesn’t want to talk. But when you get to know him, he really knows quite a bit about the world and his world’s history.”

Elba stares up at the shape of Table Mountain, which has reappeared from behind the shifting morning clouds.

“And he very much knows the way The Man in Black works. He’s so clued up on that, which is what frustrates him,” the actor says. “Because he can’t catch him.”

Sometimes two different paths can lead you to the same place.

That’s what happened to Matthew McConaughey as he considered two potential roles, both of them monsters from the mind of Stephen King – Walter, The Man in Black from The Dark Tower… or Randall Flagg from a planned adaptation of The Stand.

As readers know, they are actually one in the same – separated, in our world, only by film rights. With The Stand backburnered for now, McConaughey chose the path that takes this mythic Walkin’ Dude through the realm of Mid-World, a parallel universe where he has already helped engineer Armageddon.

In director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel’s film (out Feb. 17), Walter is on the run, hot-footing it away from Idris Elba’s warrior-knight, The Gunslinger, who has a vendetta to settle against the sharp-dressed, smiling warlock.

The Man in Black plans to bury his pursuer in the wreckage of even more worlds by destroying the Tower that stands as the hub at the center of many dimensions. (He won’t be referred to as Flagg in the movie, but the super-flu-poisoned Earth of The Stand, in the mythology of King’s books, is just one such realm.)

The Dark Tower marks one of the Oscar-winner’s few outright villains, but… of course McConaughey doesn’t see him that way. Bad guys never do.

“Well, he is a man, actually,” McConaughey says during a break between scenes, sitting on a ruined couch on the rooftop of an abandoned shopping center in Cape Town, South Africa. “They wanted to go very human and grounded with this. Obviously there are mythical proportions of good and evil in Walter. But we didn’t want to go overly fantastic. That would drop the humanity. So Walter, for me, is a man who exposes hypocrisies.”

But if we’re going to talk about total honesty… Walter’s a bad, bad man.

McConaughey grins. The wind plays in his spiky, crow-feathered hair. “You know, he’s not literally the Devil, but I sure as hell think about him like the Devil. I think like the Devil would.”

The Devil tempts. The Devil gets you to say yes when everything else inside you is screaming no. The Devil is good at making the world okay with everything about it that’s broken or wrong.

“There’s a great Black Sabbath line that fits the guy very well,” McConaughey says. “Follow me now / and you will not regret / leaving the life you led / before we met.”

Roland may think he’s hunting Walter, but in King’s own opening to the story, he’s said to merely be “following.” While trying to end his enemy, he might be playing right into his hands.

LOVE THE HATER
The Gunslinger loathes Walter, blaming him for the loss of everything he has ever known or cared about, but McConaughey says The Man in Black doesn’t return the hard feelings.

“I revere him,” the actor says. “He’s really the only true adversary I have. I expose hypocrisies, and he’s the closest to pure there is. It’s his persistent, resilience to be good and altruistic. He’s very precious to me. I almost don’t want to see him go.”

Roland is helping this immortal keep pace. Using dark, crystal orbs in The Dark Tower tales that serve as windows between different times and places, Walter even finds himself communicating with his frenemy.

“So many times I’m just pumping him up, through sorcery, almost like the man in the corner of the ring for a boxer,” McConaughey says, breaking into a whisper: “’Come on … you can do this … stay in the game,’ because I want to keep him, I want to keep his vengeance to find me. I want to keep that very vital, you know? My want, my need, my mission is to bring down the Tower. My love, my adoration, my muse, my shadow, is Roland.”

For all its intricate mythology, multiple worlds, and contrasting genres, that’s the core of The Dark Tower. Good versus evil. A chase. A search. Friends and enemies discovered along the way.

At the end of the journey stands the Tower, which is the nexus point of all time and space, the place where dimensions meet – or fall apart.

Ours is one world within the tower, but there are many more than this. Whoever rules this edifice, rules all. Life. Time. Space. Everything.

And if it falls …? “All the gaps between the worlds are filled with blackness and evil,” McConaughey says, practically licking his chops. Imagine the walls of a zoo collapsing at the same time, except the creatures unleashed on humanity are demons, vampires, mutants and fiends from different planes of existence.

In other words, it would be bad for us.

“Once I bring the Tower down, and take a seat next to the Crimson King, I’ve got my own plans from there as well,” McConaughey says.

Right. The Crimson King. The man behind The Man in Black.

GETTING HIS CLAWS DIRTY
In the image above, Walter strolls casually up the ramp of a place known as the Dixie Pig, a hideaway in New York City for bloodsuckers, spellcasters, and Taheen (humanoid, masked monsters), who are bowing in surprise – and no small amount of fear — before their master.

Walter has a master, too – the Crimson King, an insane, god-like entity who will be resurrected to rule the chaos of these collapsed worlds if The Man in Black can successfully shatter the Tower. You can see the king’s sigul – a glowering red eye – in the sign just above McConaughey’s head.

Walter wears the same symbol in a chain around his neck. “That’s the talisman of the king, yes, and nothing else,” McConaughey says, drawing the necklace out from his collar. “I didn’t want to be covered in accoutrements.”

Walter has ventured to the Dixie Pig in pursuit of a boy in our world named Jake (15-year-old Tom Taylor) who has a power known as “The Shine,” which can be harnessed to break down the trans-dimensional beams that keep the Tower standing strong. In this scene, he is dropping in on Richard Sayre (Jackie Earle Haley), a low man of high rank, who rules the Dixie Pig like the ambassador of an embassy of monstrosities.

Walter doesn’t think much of Sayre, but he’s actually happy to be here.

The existence of this boy has lit a fire inside The Man in Black. As The Dark Tower film starts, he’s actually rather… bored. Hanging out in another dimension at a place called Devar-toi, a Norman Rockwell-like neighborhood that keeps the captured psychics content until they can be enslaved to help blast at the Tower.

Walter hasn’t been making much progress.

“I’m at home base, Breaker Central, doing the daily ritual of choosing the children and running the break,” he says. “And we’ve been doing this for some time now, but we haven’t been able to bring down this Tower. We’ve shook the dust off it quite a bit, thrown a few boulders but haven’t found the right all-star with the shine to actually bring it down. So we go through the daily ritual of chopping down this proverbial tree.”

Jake wouldn’t be the first “Breaker” Walter has kidnapped. But he might be the last one he needs. Walter greets this discovery like a winning lottery ticket.

“This is great news!” McConaughey says. “One, this is what I need to get the job done. Two, it’s a field trip for me. I haven’t been down there in a long time. The Devil likes New York. Let’s go sing and dance and do some detective work and find the boy with The Shine and bring him back and use him!”

But Jake’s power has also led him to make his own discovery – there is a monster chasing him, yes. But in the distance, another figure may be the thing that saves him: a knight who looks like a sort of cowboy.

As Roland chases Walter and Walter chases Jake – the boy is pursuing the Gunslinger.

It’s a circle that’s drawing closing in on itself.

The challenge of adapting The Dark Tower into a movie is the same one faced by its gunslinger hero: How do you prevent this pillar of worlds from collapsing under its own weight?

Not only do the filmmakers have to please longtime Stephen King fans while significantly reworking a beloved literary work, they also have to entice newcomers without losing them in the labyrinth.

If it works and the $60 million film is a hit, there are unlimited plans for sequels and even a companion TV series, exploring all the further dimensions of King’s books. If moviegoers and critics balk, then The Dark Tower franchise will be like one of those unfinished buildings, where only the foundation was laid before work was abandoned.

BEST LAID PLANS
Over the past decade, heavyweights such as J.J. Abrams and Ron Howard have tried to bring King’s epic to the screen, but for many studios it was too big, too intricate, and too weird. (Not to mention the budget — too costly.) After so many false starts, the mere existence of the movie, which Sony Pictures and production company MRC studios will release on Feb. 17, is simultaneously a dream come true for King’s readers and something that fills them with trepidation.

King himself gets it. “I feel more wrapped up in this one because the books took so long to write and the fan base is so dedicated,” he says in an interview from his office in Bangor, Maine. So instead of keeping the film at arm’s length, he has been offering suggestions from afar. “They sent me a number of different drafts and it came into focus, let’s put it that way,” he says. “I’m 100 percent behind it — which doesn’t mean it necessarily will work, just that it’s a good way to try and to get into these stories.”

Among King’s obsessive readers is The Dark Tower director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel, a Danish filmmaker who says he learned English as a teen just so he could read King’s books in their native language. Some may see a sinister story. He sees a fable about doing the right thing, the selfless thing. Despite the Tower’s ominous name, it actually stands for something good.

“The Tower is a beacon of light in a world that’s cynical and dark and sometimes feels a little hopeless, and this is about the quest for that,” says Arcel, who’s best known for directing Oscar-nominated Danish film A Royal Affair, and for writing the script for the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. “This is the quest to save the hope and the light.”

Here’s a look at what this movie will utilize from King’s epic saga, and what it will be putting aside for those later installments, if the audience for The Dark Tower is as stratospheric as they hope.

COMPLICATED SHADOWS
First, the movie is sticking to the triangulation of the first novel, The Gunslinger, begun when King was just a college kid and published in 1982 (with a revision in 2003 to bring it into line with the latter mythology.) Those three points are Idris Elba’s Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger; Matthew McConaughey’s Walter, The Man in Black; and newcomer Tom Taylor’s Jake Chambers, a 15-year-old with psychic powers that could either save the Tower or help Walter destroy it.

Roland chases Walter, Walter chases Jake, and Jake chases Roland. “It’s completely circular, cogs and wheels,” says Arcel, sitting beside a candlelit altar to the Crimson King, the mad god who will be unleashed if the Tower falls. “Everything fits together. It has a great little power to it. It fits very well into the nature of the entire saga itself.”

This theme – that fate (or “Ka” in the language of the Tower) is a wheel that always comes around to the same place while rolling us inexorably forward matches perfectly with King’s novels. But the movie is also taking some major liberties with the story, albeit with the blessing of the Creator.

“All I can say is that Steve is our partner all the way through, so we don’t make a move without Stephen telling us, ‘That is The Dark Tower’ and when Stephen says, ‘It isn’t,’ which he has at times, we go, ‘Okay, let’s try something else,” says Akiva Goldsman, an Oscar-winner for A Beautiful Mind, who co-wrote the script.

King didn’t just sign off, he made his own modifications. “I took a pen and cut Roland’s dialogue to the bone,” the author says. “The less he says the better off, and why not? Idris Elba can act with his face. He’s terrific at it. He projects that sense of combined menace and security. [Roland] is the Western hero, the strong, silent type: ‘Yep,’ ‘Nope,’ and ‘Draw.’”

After that, King was ready to let the wheel roll. “All I said was, ‘Yeah, go ahead and go with it. This is an interesting way to attack the material.’”

We’ll get into non-spoiler, general descriptions of what came from each book tomorrow, but for now, Goldsman said he tried not to cherry-pick only the most memorable parts of the saga, but rather blend pieces that would support what he considers the overall theme: sacrifice, friendship, and accepting as parts of your life become past-tense.

“The Dark Tower is about how we carry around our past, which of our ghosts travel with us, and how do we attend to them,” he says. “The ghosts of history, the ghosts of the people we’ve lost in order to get to whatever our Tower is.”

TWO LOST COMPANIONS
Without doubt, the most significant story change is the absence of two major characters who, in the books, were pulled from our world to join Roland’s quest: the reformed heroin junkie Eddie, and the amputee with multiple personalities, Susannah.

Constant Readers who’ve been following the production have probably noticed that no one has been cast in those roles yet. The bad news: they won’t be. Although… an allusion to them may be in the cards.

The good news: if there’s a sequel, they are guaranteed. (Keep reaching for those Bends ‘o the Rainbow, Aaron Paul.)

Those fancasting Susannah can keep up their campaigns, too. No decision will be made about the future of The Dark Tower franchise until it’s clear there’s an audience for the first movie, although the relatively low budget improves the likelihood of success. At that point, we may even get to see the friendly billybumbler creature known as Oy joining the quest.

Arcel says he knows fans will miss Eddie and Susannah — he does too. But they didn’t join the saga until the second book, 1987’s The Drawing of the Three, and he felt it was important to establish the Gunslinger’s solitude before establishing his “Ka-tet,” or fate-forged family.

“They’re certainly out there,” Arcel says. “I think the entire story deserves to be told and should be told. I would certainly be disappointed in myself or my collaborators if we didn’t bring them in. They’re such a huge part of the story.”

King also consulted on those two sitting this one out. “I’m fine with it,” he says. “I know exactly where Akiva always planned to bring them in and that’s cool with me.”

THE SECRET SEQUEL
For others still worried about fidelity to the source material, there’s another twist to consider.

By the end of the books, Roland has come into possession of an artifact known as the Horn of Eld, which (without giving away spoilers) symbolizes a cosmic reset button. Every time Roland starts the quest over again, the journey changes in big and small ways. In the movie, he already has this tool (you can see it peeking out of his bag in the image above), which means the film is not so much an adaptation as a continuation.

“The hardcore fans of The Dark Tower series will know that this is actually a sequel to the books in a way,” Arcel says. “It has a lot of the same elements, a lot of the same characters, but it is a different journey.”

It’s a strange journey, for sure. One that’s not only venturing through a very, very long shadow, but adding to it as it goes.

roland1.jpg
roland2.jpg
manblack.jpg
roland.jpg
roland3.jpg

Anybody see the leaked trailer? I thought it looked pretty good, even if it's not really following events of the first book. It might be a great way to introduce people to Mid World. Either way the cast look and sound great and to hear Roland give his "I do not shoot with my hand I shoot with my mind" made me squeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody see the leaked trailer? I thought it looked pretty good, even if it's not really following events of the first book. It might be a great way to introduce people to Mid World. Either way the cast look and sound great and to hear Roland give his "I do not shoot with my hand I shoot with my mind" made me squeal.

I can already imagine the porn version of that line when they make the porn parody. Hell, they don't even need to change the name of the film :lol

I really want to like this, but those pics are giving me no confidence whatsoever...
That does not look at all how I imagined any of it.

I'm viewing it as the last time around for Roland. I'm TRYING not to compare it too much, just take it as telling of this tale cinematically. Elba is not who I picture Roland as but I'm being open to the idea of another interpretation. I'm cautiously optimistic but prepared to be let down also.

So I just learned this film will basically skip books 1-6? It starts on book 7?

W
T
H

Back