Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read the books and I actually don't mind the reimagining of Roland mostly because of how much I enjoy Idris acting abilities. I do think making this a movie rather than an HBO or AMC series was where they went wrong though, waaaaaaay too much stuff to pack in even if this was LOTR length.

Hellion I agree with you about Idris - he is a terrific actor and it's possible that he will convince me that he is Roland (he owns the part of Heimdall after all).

I also totally agree you that this should have been conceived as an HBO/AMC/Netflix series. Far too much content to cram into a single movie.

Wow, this is copping it hard. I'm still keen. Read through the Art of the Film recently and all it did was increase my excitement. This feels like one of those movies that was damned from the beginning (an unpopular tinfoil hat thought, I know, but whatever).

In any case, I hope it gets to live on. For all the bad buzz, I believe Nik Arcel is legitimately passionate about the books and would like to see him move ahead with the plans he's talked about. We know for sure the series is till happening, Glen Mazzara signed on as showrunner today, so... I guess we'll see.

It's bad. Not spectacularly. Just dull. Characters are never properly established, "action" is almost absent, anything beyond medium shots of actors looks fake.

I'm about halfway through the book series so I can't say how it works as a sequel but it barely resembles anything I've read so far. The only sequence that's sort of like the books is Jake going into the creepy house to find a portal. But there's almost no setup and the "guardian"
of that portal amounts to about 20 seconds of animated woodwork.

It's a head scratcher. At one point a voiceover says the iconic opening line of The Gunslinger, but the MIB is not in the desert and the gunslinger is not following him. :dunno

Weird.

I want to see a review of someone who has never read the books....like me! :lol

I would like to see that too. I have to imagine the characters are even less interesting without knowing them beforehand. But at least you won't be wondering why every cool thing from the books is missing.

Stephen king said he said no to multiple directors including his old time friend frank darabont because this was very very close to his heart and wanted someone special to do it. He said he wanted the right people to do it...

I wonder how he feels now

Back