Statues or Action Figures...or both?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/6 Action Figures > Stiff things

:lecture

That being siad, it really depends on your preference and display area. My friend has a huge collection of statues, but he spends more money buying them than setting up a cool display area for them. I always believed that a big part of the wow factor comes from how your enviroment compliments your collection and vice versa.

With statues, it's easy to make them look out of place with a poorly thought display. Action figures are much for forgiving in that sense.

As for me personally, I love things to be in scale so I stick with 1/6 figures.

As long as it's vinyl or diecast, I'm happy.. but I have a morbid fear of polystone's ability to transmogrify from a single, expensive piece of art, into a variable number of worthless fragments.. just by adding a pet /child /cleaner /open window / marauding raccoon, to its locality (or moving house).. and yelling 'Reparo!' doesn't work, for Muggles.. I've checked
:panic:

OK, helpful it is:

Statues = awesome dynamic poses that will never be achieved in an action figure. But the paint apps on polystone are rarely, if ever, up to the same photorealistic standard as high-end action figures.

Action figures = offers more customisation options and greater variety of switch out accessories. But the relatively small scale means tailoring can be crude in mass production. Hence some custom-made 1/6 suits, for example, can easily cost as much as getting it done at 1:1, but some folks will pay it 'cause they're more convincing at that scale than what comes out of the box. And because they're a bit weird.

Statues = heavy quite often. Depending where you live, shipping can be a killer.

Statues - according to many statue collectors - are manly, the contemporary equivalent of the statue of David. Action figures - according to many statue collectors - are a stone's throw away from being a Barbie and girls will ridicule you for owning them.

Statues = quite often larger in scale they can have more 'shelf presence' - though 1/4 scale action figures are a good option where scale matters. Not too many 1/4 figures around though, especially if you're not into Batman or Terminator.

Other members can add to this list, or challenge some of my points.

At the end of the day it's apples and oranges. I collect action figures over statues because I appreciate the photorealistic aspect, the play value that comes from posing them and because space is a commodity where I live. But really... just buy what you like.

Good points, Lejuan. And if I may add, statue collectors are like the idol worshipers of Balaam with their graven images. They shall be smitten :lecture.

:lol :monkey3

Seriously though, I'd like to have a few statues some day when I get a bigger place. I see the Sideshow 1/4 statues displayed all the time at Midtown Comics, and they have an amazing shelf-presence.

If you collect action figures/dolls and are single make sure you hide them in the closet before your date comes over :lol

I ked I ked....

You could always get both, but all depends on fitting them to the space & environment you have. I've seen both type collections being way too crowded thus becoming a mess rather than something that should be appreciated.

Back