Starting a custom figure company

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibilover

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been wondering would there be any point in starting a company based in europe, I have an extremely good 3d artist and a painter who are interested in starting a business with me... for clothes and accessories I should find a very good custom source..

I was thinking of offering completely custom figures, heads and sculptures, which would be designed to customers needs from the start and then be printed with hi-res 3d printer (or made mold out of the 3d print), also I was thinking of making limited editions of 20-40 pieces of each of our own figures...

We would not be selling anything until we would be able to make top-notch figures... I am wondering does anybody here have any creative comments?

Thanks a lot in advance!

sounds good, always on lookout for custom fig/sculpts, there are a lot of iconic figures needed, you should be able to get some orders here if price is right, good luck

One thing I'd be careful of is having a business that offers customs (of which I'm assuming they are unlicensed). To make licensed figures versus unlicensed are two very different things, especially if it's just one person or a group. As a private individual making a few figures and selling them probably won't raise many eyebrows, but when you call yourself a business and sell a larger number I think you are opening yourself up to a lot of risk.

Even just on this board members have received cease and desist orders for selling unpainted headsculpts.

I think there is a market for this kind of thing, but depending on your local laws and the product, selling figures like that may be an issue.

One thing I'd be careful of is having a business that offers customs (of which I'm assuming they are unlicensed). To make licensed figures versus unlicensed are two very different things, especially if it's just one person or a group. As a private individual making a few figures and selling them probably won't raise many eyebrows, but when you call yourself a business and sell a larger number I think you are opening yourself up to a lot of risk.

Even just on this board members have received cease and desist orders for selling unpainted headsculpts.

I think there is a market for this kind of thing, but depending on your local laws and the product, selling figures like that may be an issue.

Which is why ya name the product from a famous quote from the movie. Like for a Pulp Fiction character like Sam L J. Name him Ezekiel 27. :lol

Yep, which means I need to change the title of my Sloth thread :lol

But in seriousness... a business built around unlicensed figures is not a great idea. One-off customs that you sell are one thing and generally won't be an issue and even small runs of a customized figure. But a project like this could go completely sideways if lawyers get involved.

Which is why ya name the product from a famous quote from the movie. Like for a Pulp Fiction character like Sam L J. Name him Ezekiel 27. :lol

Yes this what Rainman seems to be doing, but in fact I am willing to take the risk and also of course I'll do research as much as i can...

But it seems that if it's limited, say 30 figures It's good chance big companies won't bother and it may even be legal... I'll do my homework
Thanks for answers any other comments would be great
Cheers

Yes this what Rainman seems to be doing, but in fact I am willing to take the risk and also of course I'll do research as much as i can...

But it seems that if it's limited, say 30 figures It's good chance big companies won't bother and it may even be legal... I'll do my homework
Thanks for answers any other comments would be great
Cheers

I can tell you right now, it's not legal. What all these people in the forums are doing is against the law. It doesn't matter if you make 5 or 50 or 500. The only reason they don't get sued is that it's not worth the studio's time to sue you. It only takes an hour to send a Cease and Desist order because that's boilerplate, but to take someone to court is hours and hours of time, and paying lawyer and court fees would far outweigh any potential award. But, it won't keep them from making your life miserable should they decide to make an example out of you.

I am actually in the beginning stages of starting a toy company. I am actually starting with 1/6 scale figures (my first one will definitely get me a cease and desist) and eventually branch off into other toy "genres" like children's toys. The hardest part for me is finding local people with the same interest, I'm in Chicago, so I'm doing it all myself.

My advice to you is do exactly what you want to do. I wouldn't worry if the worst you can get is a cease and desist. It's all about the process and becoming a master at it no matter the distraction. My goal is to get at least 20 different cease and desists in my first year.

Or ya could give the figs for free and wait till later that year on Christmas and have 20 people send ya holiday joy. :lol

One thing I'd be careful of is having a business that offers customs (of which I'm assuming they are unlicensed).

are rainman & kato making the same without risk..?:dunno
If the prices will be honest I will buy for sure, for the most because they are in europoe..

Depending on the country copyright laws differ, I believe ( i may be wrong) in some regions if an item available over seas is not made available locally in a set amount of time then copyright is out the window

Depending on the country copyright laws differ, I believe ( i may be wrong) in some regions if an item available over seas is not made available locally in a set amount of time then copyright is out the window

I know a lot of costumizers are selling their figures without license with any problems at all...:wink1:

I think there's a difference between. Garage kit & registered company though dunno

yes you right but he could be figure alone..;)
iminime has a lot coworkers too and he makes unlicences figures...
he can simply makes customs figures in private..

Not figures, but I know people who where making home craft felt wall hangings of Disney characters and disney goons literally turned up to there stall and confiscated the items

Instead of going through the headaches of licensing, why not start a company that makes things like accessories? It would be cool to have a site that sold Batman capes "off the rack". Boots, business suits, gloves, other items like this are in demand and wouldn't cause any legal issues.

disney company has to die...:mad:
Disney_logo_for_pre-episode_VII_star_wars_fans.gif

Mainly because it own SW licence and Marvel....and for cancelation of Lucasarts :'(

Back