Star Wars: the Legacy Revealed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the first one, but missed the tech one! I think Lucas got more credit than he deserved about all the mythology pertaining to the Star Wars. Still enjoyable though.....esp. liked the fact the PJ and Colbert were included in the interviews. :D

Darklord Dave said:
The one expert said that Lucas didn't put all these references in there on purpose, but the fact that so many people can see all these different things in the saga is what makes it so enduring, like mythology.

Exactly, that was one of the first things said during the opening of the show by the woman from NYU. She questioned how much of this was intended by Lucas and how much is interpretted and inferred by the viewer....or something along those lines. She said it not to bash Lucas, but seemed to revel in the fact that so much of it was open to your own interpretation and relevance. I'm sure Lucas didn't think of all these ideas that were presented, but we may be surprised at how many he did. I remember reading somewhere that Vader actually means father in ancient Norse or some other language. They didn't mention this in the show from what I remember though.

Kevin Smith is always a hoot. :rock I think he pegged what a lot of people knock, about Anakin being a whiny teenager.

Great to see Joss Wheden present too. :rock

Darth Rage said:
Exactly, that was one of the first things said during the opening of the show by the woman from NYU. She questioned how much of this was intended by Lucas and how much is interpretted and inferred by the viewer....or something along those lines. She said it not to bash Lucas, but seemed to revel in the fact that so much of it was open to your own interpretation and relevance. I'm sure Lucas didn't think of all these ideas that were presented, but we may be surprised at how many he did. I remember reading somewhere that Vader actually means father in ancient Norse or some other language. They didn't mention this in the show from what I remember though.

Kevin Smith is always a hoot. :rock I think he pegged what a lot of people knock, about Anakin being a whiny teenager.

Great to see Joss Wheden present too. :rock

Wow! Pretty cool stuff. I just hope they make one about highlander since that film is wo like the best ever! :rolleyes:

I saw this special too and hated it. WAAAY Over analyzed. I'm surprised they found a way to incorporate Jar Jar into a mythological archetype, now that's reaching.
:rolleyes:

Hmm sounds interesting, does anyone know where i can watch this?? Is it on youtube anywhere? I can only seem to find the trailers.

Sire said:
Hmm sounds interesting, does anyone know where i can watch this?? Is it on youtube anywhere? I can only seem to find the trailers.

You can go to history.com/star wars and click the video button. It has a lot of the scenes there.

I'm sorry, this bored the hell outa me. It was everything I knew about the damn influences of the movie that we've heard a million times spread out in a 2 hour jag fest of people I have little to no respect for (Nancy Pelosi is below that) telling me the same old junk. WOW Star Wars was based on all sorts of old tales and myths, NO DUH! They barely touched on the Samurai aspect, let alone the ACTUAL movies that influenced it (hardly got into Buck Rogers, and totally skipped 7 Samurai.) Just 2 hours of stuff I knew, and nothing new. Hated it.

screamingmetal said:
I saw this special too and hated it. WAAAY Over analyzed. I'm surprised they found a way to incorporate Jar Jar into a mythological archetype, now that's reaching.
:rolleyes:

I completely agree. There was a good deal of rational connections made, but some of the stuff was WAYYYY off-the-wall...especially from "Magic of Myth" author Mary Henderson. She was just pulling things out of thin air.

And why was it necessary to get input from Newt Gingrich and Nancy Pelosi????

One little thing that my wife and I got great joy at (and I'm not trying to insult people or start a political debate) was comparing Anakin's line "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy" to Bush saying "If you're not with us, then you're with the terrorists" :rotfl :rotfl

The preceding special "The Tech of Star Wars" is far superior as is the book "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination"

It is re-airing today @ 4 pm here, I plan on giving it a go.

Sith Lord 0498 said:
I completely agree. There was a good deal of rational connections made, but some of the stuff was WAYYYY off-the-wall...especially from "Magic of Myth" author Mary Henderson. She was just pulling things out of thin air.

And why was it necessary to get input from Newt Gingrich and Nancy Pelosi????

One little thing that my wife and I got great joy at (and I'm not trying to insult people or start a political debate) was comparing Anakin's line "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy" to Bush saying "If you're not with us, then you're with the terrorists" :rotfl :rotfl

The preceding special "The Tech of Star Wars" is far superior as is the book "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination"
:lol But Newt Gingrich does have a tie to the Star Wars Universe, Newt Gingrich = Newt Gunray. ;) They should've also invited Trent Lott to round out the Neimoidians. And yeah, What the hell was Nacy Pelosi doing there? :confused:

I like the Tech of stuff, but they couldn't make a single Star Wars invention fit into reality. And I agree, way to many Star Wars and Star Trek specials on the History Channel of all places. They also run the Planet Of The Apes movie from time to time on the Channel, But why no Specials for the Apes?

I would disagree about too many pop culture specials. I thought the SW tech was boring for just the reason stated above - nothing really fit.

But I thought the Trek one about the Christies auction was great - made me go get the Christies catalog off of ebay.

Sith Lord 0498 said:
Not wishing to continue the debate, but it bugs me how that quote gets used out of context. Bush was referring to countries that offer support and safe haven to terrorist groups. (And incidentally, the exact quote was "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.")
I saw an interview with Lucas where he was questioned directly about that, and he would neither confirm nor deny the link, despite the obvious similarities.

I don't think there's really a link between the Bush speech and the Anakin line. Lucas is usually beyond modern polotics and just makes a general message, it is a pretty cliche' quote. He generally surrounds his writting with themes rather than direct points. I always thought it was just some uber-libs taking the line for more than what it meant the way uber-libs tend to. Like "See Bush is a SITH!" Really? You think he's that clever? Now Pelosi, there's some MAJOR Palpatine-isms going on there.

PosterBoyKelly said:
I don't think there's really a link between the Bush speech and the Anakin line. Lucas is usually beyond modern polotics and just makes a general message, it is a pretty cliche' quote. He generally surrounds his writting with themes rather than direct points. I always thought it was just some uber-libs taking the line for more than what it meant the way uber-libs tend to. Like "See Bush is a SITH!" Really? You think he's that clever? Now Pelosi, there's some MAJOR Palpatine-isms going on there.

Whats funny is that line was the first thing I heard people talking about and from both sides Republicans were upset and Democrats loved it. I am not sure what it was ment to mirror the Bush comment or not. Would I be suprised if it was HELL NO. Even back then Bush bashing was cool in Hollywood.

PosterBoyKelly said:

my thoughts exactly.

I, like JRR Tolkien, much prefer history to allegory. I suppose the Bush and Political references made the prequel movies what they were, but there is so much more of a rich star wars history that should have been utilized in the PT. But then that would confuse the simple fans, and Lucas can't do that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And yea, Pelosi, she's a sharp cookie, I wouldn't be suprised if she starts shooting lightning out of her @$$....err, I mean fingers. :emperor :emperor

congerking said:
I, like JRR Tolkien, much prefer history to allegory. I suppose the Bush and Political references made the prequel movies what they were, but there is so much more of a rich star wars history that should have been utilized in the PT. But then that would confuse the simple fans, and Lucas can't do that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, Lucas took as references the Roman Empire, Nixon government and the raise of the Nazi movement to build the fall of the Republic. He isn´t the best director out there but I think many fans underestimate him. Back to the Bush allegory, I think it is only a case of history repeating itself, I mean, Palpatine and Bush are the epitome of the dictator or politician that use the war to his own benefit.

Back