Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry folks, spent so long trying to get Tapatalk to capitalise (unsuccessfully) I didn't notice the auto "correct".

Blasted newfangled technology, wouldn't have happened in my day.

Still, it provided an amusing diversion for several posts! :)

Random thought: Is it weird that we don't see any other BB units? I know Poe says BB-8 is "one of a kind" but I figured that was in the R2 sense of having a lot of personality.

We wait 30 years to see Han and the original Cast back on the Falcon...And Han
Gets murdered, and Luke is seen for seconds At the very end..unbelievable :lol

Still a great film though, good restart for the Sequel Trilogy, I believe JJ did a good job.

Random thought: Is it weird that we don't see any other BB units? I know Poe says BB-8 is "one of a kind" but I figured that was in the R2 sense of having a lot of personality.

They certainly exist - Ren, Hux etc certainly know what a BB unit is, because when Ren literally "forces" Poe to tell him where the map is, there's no scene where Ren goes around saying "what's a BB unit? Does anyone know what this is? Anyone?".

So yeah, we don't see one but I'm pretty sure they exist elsewhere.

They certainly exist - Ren, Hux etc certainly know what a BB unit is, because when Ren literally "forces" Poe to tell him where the map is, there's no scene where Ren goes around saying "what's a BB unit? Does anyone know what this is? Anyone?".

So yeah, we don't see one but I'm pretty sure they exist elsewhere.

:lol

I still have a hard time believing BB-8 is a practical effect. I know it's real, I even understand how it works, but it just seems too damn cool to be real.

:lol

I still have a hard time believing BB-8 is a practical effect. I know it's real, I even understand how it works, but it just seems too damn cool to be real.

He is and he isn't though. He is a push along puppet on a rod and he is CG at times. The fully automated one they had on stage wasn't used in the movie,
Very cool though I agree.

He is and he isn't though. He is a push along puppet on a rod and he is CG at times. The fully automated one they had on stage wasn't used in the movie,
Very cool though I agree.

Oh, I wasnt aware that it's a puppet. Cool that they could make it for real though, even if that version wasn't used on screen.

Oh, I wasnt aware that it's a puppet. Cool that they could make it for real though, even if that version wasn't used on screen.

Yeah, they had a guy pushing him around (sometimes at a full sprint,) while another guy remote controlled his head, etc., and then they digitally erased the puppeteer. BB-8 was only CG in a couple scenes like when he was rolling up the walls of the Falcon.

gallery-1461073815-bb-8-puppet.jpg

Yeah, they had a guy pushing him around (sometimes at a full sprint,) while another guy remote controlled his head, etc., and then they digitally erased the puppeteer. BB-8 was only CG in a couple scenes like when he was rolling up the walls of the Falcon.

gallery-1461073815-bb-8-puppet.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Guess a gyro ball probably wouldn't have fared very well trying to move around in sand.

James Cameron - aka the King of the World - wasn't a big fan of J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens.

In a student interview on YouTube (as picked up by BMD), Cameron very diplomatically stated that he thought "this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before".

"George Lucas is a friend of mine and he and I were having a conversation about it the other day. I don’t want to say too much about the film, because I also have a lot of respect for J.J. Abrams", Cameron began.

“I have to say that I felt that George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination. This film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters. So for me the jury's out. I want to see where they go with it."

Back