Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

Yes. It did work that one time. Han's quips to Chewie were funny too. But from ROTJ onward they did prove that there can be too much of a good thing.

The Death Star battles, Hoth attack, and drama on Cloud City far outweighed anything involving ewoks, gungans, skiff guards, clones or battle droids. Of those the Sarlacc Pit battle was the best but that's because those aliens were the most "human" of the lot.

Hoth didn't have the Wampa and Tauntauns and completely animalistic looking vehicles like the ATAT and ATST?

Cloud city had Ugnaughts.

Ewoks may have been an overdose of the wrong thing, but I don't think making them human looking munchkins or umpalumpa's would have made it better.

I wasn't talking about beasts of burden, wild animals and background aliens with no speaking lines that are there just to create a fantasy ambience. Those are fine and were used to great effect and with appropriate moderation in ANH and ESB.

Hmm. I don't know about that.

The human element came from the fact the sets and models and costumes were human made instead of computer generated.

No one had a hard time relating to 3P0, R2 or even Chewbacca.

:exactly: I agree 100% with this statment.

Too much CG has ruined perfectly good stories. Or in the Prequels too much CG and bad acting/directing. Those CG added bits in the OT are complete garbage!

As much as I love SLJ it would be one Jedi Master too many. This should be Luke's turn to be a leader.

As much as I love SLJ it would be one Jedi Master too many. This should be Luke's turn to be a leader.

Alternatively, the two philosophies conflict and in the end it becomes SLJ vs Luke vs Evil. I always saw the Skywalker's approach to being a Jedi as fundamentally in conflict with the old Jedi Order - it would be amazing to see Luke outright reject Mace's teachings.

I wasn't talking about beasts of burden, wild animals and background aliens with no speaking lines that are there just to create a fantasy ambience. Those are fine and were used to great effect and with appropriate moderation in ANH and ESB.

The difference between Greedo and Dexter Jexter isn't that Dexter Jexster was one too many aliens. Its that Dexter Jexter was lame and insignificant.

The difference between jawas and ewoks wasn't that there were too many ewoks. It was that ewoks pandered to 6 year old girls where as jawas were simply quirky and fun.

Conversely, being human didn't make Count Dooku a great character.

Its all about quality not simply whether its an alien or a human.

The first thing I expect Luke threw out is the "rule of two" idea. There's no place for it with the Jedi's numbers decimated. The second thing should be the words "youngling", "padwan" and "midiclorian".

Luke also would have needed to seek out the old Jedi temple and library and any holocron records that may have been left intact. Yoda might have told Luke his training was complete, but honestly we all know that's bull. Luke would have done additional study following Yoda's death. Luke should have made it a personal mission to re-assemble lost Jedi knowledge. This should have all happened during the 30 or so years since Endor.

Holocrons are a good way for Jackson to make an appearance without contorting the plot

The first thing I expect Luke threw out is the "rule of two" idea. There's no place for it with the Jedi's numbers decimated. The second thing should be the words "youngling", "padwan" and "midiclorian".

Luke also would have needed to seek out the old Jedi temple and library and any holocron records that may have been left intact. Yoda might have told Luke his training was complete, but honestly we all know that's bull. Luke would have done additional study following Yoda's death. Luke should have made it a personal mission to re-assemble lost Jedi knowledge. This should have all happened during the 30 or so years since Endor.

Holocrons are a good way for Jackson to make an appearance without contorting the plot

That would be great

Samuel L. Jackson wants to play Mace Windu again in Episode VII. I can't imagine that working out.

**** SLJ

The difference between Greedo and Dexter Jexter isn't that Dexter Jexster was one too many aliens. Its that Dexter Jexter was lame and insignificant.

The difference between jawas and ewoks wasn't that there were too many ewoks. It was that ewoks pandered to 6 year old girls where as jawas were simply quirky and fun.

Conversely, being human didn't make Count Dooku a great character.

Its all about quality not simply whether its an alien or a human.

Like I said, if you prefer the ROTJ/PT approach to human/alien ratio's then that's fine. I personally don't. Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Nien Numb, Admiral Ackbar, etc., were all handled well. I still prefer the ANH/ESB approach.

Like I said, if you prefer the ROTJ/PT approach to human/alien ratio's then that's fine. I personally don't. Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Nien Numb, Admiral Ackbar, etc., were all handled well. I still prefer the ANH/ESB approach.

I'm not saying I prefer ROTJ or PT over the others. I just fail to see the correlation you do.

Many humanoid characters in the PT are lamer than the human characters in the OT and just as lame as some of the alien characters in ROTJ.

Isn't it just a quality issue more than what they look like? If not, try to explain more, because I don't see it.

I think that the cgi (even cgi used for human characters like the clones or Dooku) makes the films less engaging.

I don't know how to describe it differently than I already have.

I think that the cgi (even cgi used for human characters like the clones or Dooku) makes the films less engaging.

Yes, the gratuitous CGI is definitely one of the worst aspects of the PT. No argument there. It just wasn't the only thing that brought the movies down.

Both approaches worked for me. I never thought of it much to be honest that too many talked in the PT but never felt not enough talked in the OT.

One reason the aliens worked better in the OT (aside from the CG) was most of them didn't speak english. Anyone who watched The Phantom Edit knows Jar Jar is easier to endure when his dialogue is replaced with alien speak and subtitles.

Khev, you mentioned the maturity level of aliens. I don't think alien characters are inherently mature or immature. Its what they do with the characters.

Jawas being childlike, but not childish. Ewoks being completely childish.

Cantina band being intriguing and unusual. ROTJ band being wacky. ROTJ:SE being offensively campy.

Lucas could have easily made the Modal Nodes completely campy and the Rebo band straight forward. Its not a numerical "too many aliens" issue but rather what he chose to do with them that was the problem.

I wouldn't have a particular problem if they lost some alien characters nor would I have an issue if they kept it high. I just want better written characters no matter what costume they have.

If they do that, I think it will seem like a more "human" story regardless.

Samuel L. Jackson wants to play Mace Windu again in Episode VII. I can't imagine that working out.

Sorry SJ! But you're not getting what you want this time now that George is out. No purple lightsaber for you!

I can't see SLJ coming back as Windu unless there was a need for some sort of 'flashback' scene that was intergral to the plot.

Sorry SJ! But you're not getting what you want this time now that George is out. No purple lightsaber for you!

He should. Why not? George made him go out like a little *****. Maybe someone who knows how to write can give him some actual human character.

Assuming he was 40 he would be about 100 that's why!

:slap

And it's just dumb. SJ hears SW wants the SW limelight again.....NO!

So? :lol

It's Star Wars, who cares. Give him a big ass beard and let him tell mother ****ers to shut the **** up! :D

Back