Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing Star Trek Generations in the Savoy back in 1994 and everyone clapped at the end - I was taken aback by that, I'd never encountered it before. I can't recall any specific examples of people clapping in the cinema since then. Like you I find it a little weird and it would infuriate me if it were all going on during the actual film.

It happens a lot with older movies. The Summer movie series at the Ohio Theater in downtown Columbus plays a lot of classic films and the crowd there usually applauds at the end. Can't say I've noticed it with new releases. I would've been taken aback too 'cause Generations wasn't very good. :p

I remember seeing Star Trek Generations in the Savoy back in 1994 and everyone clapped at the end - I was taken aback by that, I'd never encountered it before. I can't recall any specific examples of people clapping in the cinema since then. Like you I find it a little weird and it would infuriate me if it were all going on during the actual film.
Yeah, I've seen some applause and appreciation a few times, which is fun. It's the "hollering" "shouting" & "scream laughing" which drives me crazy. It becomes mass hysterical.

Must be a cultural thing, because I used to seeing people clapping...also, when a plane lands. :lol

I also encountered that during the theatrical screening of Generations. But I saw it opening night, where people were dressed up like Star Trek characters, etc. Biggest applause was when the Klingon chicks blew up. But that's been the exception to the rule. I don't recall seeing much clapping in other films.

I've noticed, the maturity/respectfulness of the audience seems to depend on where you see the movie. Bigger cities tend to have more idiots and loudmouths, whereas the suburban areas are much more reserved. It also makes a big difference what movie your seeing. Something like dumb and dumber, fast and furious, and paranormal activity seem to attract the cretins and morons. Clapping at the end is common, not sure when it started at movies, but it's been going on long enough that it no longer seems odd. I don't participate, as there is nobody there to receive my applause, but if it makes the audience happy, who am I to judge.

I would not want to see TFA on opening day- too many Yahoos and disturbed individuals to deal with- they will be backflipping if the movie is even "ok":lol

There was nothing worse than when I used to live in NYC. Those are the absolute worst crowds I have every encountered. It was ridiculous how loud and obnoxious they were. They would yell things at the screen, over-react to jokes and scares or whatever, people talking all through the movie, etc. I was scarred for life!

Moving to the suburbs is much better, but there are still some movies I’ve seen where the crowds are a little too excitable. I don’t doubt the first week of TFA is going to be full of over eager people. Generally it’s pretty good though, just clapping at the end if the movie was particularly good (which of course is weird because, who are they clapping to?).

Worst reaction I ever experienced in a movie was the nude fight scene from Eastern Promises. A group of women behind me could not stop loudly (and probably nervously) laughing, to the point where I had to tell them to shut up.

Worst reaction I ever experienced in a movie was the nude fight scene from Eastern Promises. A group of women behind me could not stop loudly (and probably nervously) laughing, to the point where I had to tell them to shut up.

That was no woman...

tDobCW8.gif

I would not want to see TFA on opening day- too many Yahoos and disturbed individuals to deal with- they will be backflipping if the movie is even "ok":lol

Yessir! I'm not going till at least the 3rd or 4th week. I can wait. I know I've told this many times on this forum, but here it goes again......I saw the Two Towers on opening day. Right at the end when Gollum is speaking two goons about 5 rows behind me start fighting, full out fist fight because one guy wouldn't shut up on his phone. A huge brawl breaks out , a dog starts barking furiously out of nowhere. It seems that someone had brought their chichuaha into the theater with them. It was pure insanity.

I would gladly pay more to to watch theatrical releases in the comfort of my own home, I really would. I've noticed that in general, people don't really have social graces anymore. I was at a doctor's office not too long ago and and some woman was listening to music on her iPhone, on speaker as loud as she could. No one said anything, I asked her if she could lower the sound as I was filling out my forms. She didn't even acknowledge me! I was going to tell her where she could go , but I didn't feel like going down that road, since I wasn't feeling well, thats whyI was the doctors....oh well....rant over.

Last edited:
Yessir! I'm not going till at least the 3rd or 4th week. I can wait. I know I've told this many times on this forum, but here it goes again......I saw the Two Towers on opening day. Right at the end when Gollum is speaking two goons about 5 rows behind me start fighting, full out fist fight because one guy wouldn't shut up on his phone. A huge brawl breaks out , a dog starts barking furiously out of nowhere. It seems that someone had brought their chichuaha into the theater with them. It was pure insanity.

I would gladly pay more to to watch theatrical releases in the comfort of my own home, I really would. I've noticed that in general, people don't really have social graces anymore. I was at a doctor's office not too long ago and and some woman was listening to music on her iPhone, on speaker as loud as she could. No one said anything, I asked her if she could lower the sound as I was filling out my forms. She didn't even acknowledge me! I was going to tell her where she could go , but I didn't feel like going down that road, since I wasn't feeling well, thats what I was the doctors....oh well....rant over.

That Two Towers screening actually sounds AMAZING! In a truly awful kind of way, but amazing nonetheless. :)

The Hollywood Arclight Theater has what may be the most considerate audiences i have experienced... i have never even seen anyone who appears to be under the age of 20 there ( i have been a regular for more than a decade).

Was this in Jersey Shore? :lol

The Hollywood Arclight Theater has what may be the most considerate audiences i have experienced... i have never even seen anyone who appears to be under the age of 20 there ( i have been a regular for more than a decade).

Amazing cinema. Love it. I try to see at least one movie there anytime I'm in the area. Them pop into Amoeba to waste sometime.

I was at my first NFL game in US. You do not have any higher ground. At all. :lol

True true, but you can't fault me for trying :lol

Go USA! :lol

Besides, screaming excited fans are the least of my concern when I go to the movies now!

I just don't want to get shot or blown up by some terrorist or some bored white upper middle-class kid.

I'm very happy not to live in a stand your ground state where wackos with guns shoot each other over silly arguments about using a cell phone in a movie theater.

Yup, looking at you Florida!

Last edited:
True true, but you can't fault me for trying :lol

Go USA! :lol

Besides, screaming excited fans are the least of my concern when I go to the movies now!

I just don't want to get shot or blown up by some terrorist or some bored white upper middle-class kid.

I'm very happy not to live in a stand your ground state where wackos with guns shoot each other over silly arguments about using a cell phone in a movie theater.

Yup, looking at you Florida!

You know I was thinking about that the other day. The opening weekend for any giant movie is now dangerous ground for whackos. it's such a shame. Especially when your in the dark, in a confined space. That vulnerability would make it impossible for me to relax and ruin the experience. It's totally **** thats what it has come to.

Back