Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, he was toying with Obi-Wan. He figured he had him defeated and without a lightsaber. He's just enjoying the kill by drawing it out. His over confidence (just like Palpatine) was he weakness.
No.... It was Obi Wan's unusually strong fingers that saved the day..... Or he learned the power of flight. Either way Maul did not see that coming.

PS - Both my first comment and this one are J/K

PT lightsaber duels are better than the OT duels.

Vader vs Ben is worst duel in history.

Vader vs Luke on Bespin, while the scene is great and iconic, that is not much of a duel, but rather a beatdown.

Vader vs Luke on Death Star was the best of the OT duels.

PT saber duel is great. All other duels are worthless and non emotional. Dooku duel, emperor duels, Yoda Duels are all CGI cartoons. What makes Empire so great is the spoken word between Vader and Luke. Oh and the sense of style and lighting.

I never cared for the ROTJ duel. It's just a lot of back and forth swinging. However when Luke goes a little dark and the help of Williams Score makes it pretty great.

ANH duel is silly

I would have liked that scene to go longer. They all were on the council, all veterans of the clone wars and they drop like flies. Should have been a three minute duel with Palps taking down one a minute, then save the big duel with Mace for last.

I think this scene though just shows how great Palpatine is with a saber. He could have taken Mace but knew/foreseen what was to come.....

SLJ is about as good with a saber as Alec. Emperor is only good with the help of CGI.

Not PT bashing. Even when I found the films somewhat entertaining I never likes how SLJ used his saber and the Emperor duels when real actor was used were all a joke.

Anakin and Obi should have been epic but lucas failed to hit the right drama notes... It's why Empire duel will always be king.

if you breakdown down palpatine's initial attack. there's nothing spectacular or amazing about it....yet he owned 2 masters in an instant.
you can practically see him pull back his blows before impaling agen kolar. that move is an easy block.
latest

nothing special or amazing.

:slap

I think this scene though just shows how great Palpatine is with a saber. He could have taken Mace but knew/foreseen what was to come.....

Not really, it just showed how poorly choreographed that scene was, the Jedi basically stood there and let him chop them down. Just as they all did during order 66.... It's almost as if Lucas forgot they were meant to be ultimate bad asses at times.

That twirling thing the two of them did didn't even bother me. I always figured that was the two of them showing off their rad skillllz and trying to distract/fake out the other guy.

No, the thing that I ****ing hate about the ROTS duel is it goes on for too long and is cut alongside the pointless Palpatine/Yoda duel. I hate when they jump on those outside antennas or whatever the hell they are and fight while floating on lava, then while climbing, then while hanging off of wires, then on top of lava droids. It's just too much. It should have been a 1 on 1 throughout the complex and then one on one in the surrounding mountains ala The Empire Strikes Back duel. Maybe have Anakin disappear for a bit to build up the tension and he comes sweeping out of no where like what Vader did in Empire. And for someone that was like a brother, Obi-Wan sure never tried to plead with Anakin. :lol

Could have been a great duel if Lucas held some restraint and made it simpler. The lava planet setting and facility as a backdrop was enough. It should have been about Obi-Wan and Anakin, not the elements of a new exotic planet.

Lucas was probably influenced by the lava level in Mario 64 :lol The ending of that fight didn't make sense to me. Why did Vader need to jump over Obi-Wan like in Phantom Menace? There was plenty of space between them for Annie to get off the lava droid comfortably.

That twirling thing the two of them did didn't even bother me. I always figured that was the two of them showing off their rad skillllz and trying to distract/fake out the other guy.

No, the thing that I ****ing hate about the ROTS duel is it goes on for too long and is cut alongside the pointless Palpatine/Yoda duel. I hate when they jump on those outside antennas or whatever the hell they are and fight while floating on lava, then while climbing, then while hanging off of wires, then on top of lava droids. It's just too much. It should have been a 1 on 1 throughout the complex and then one on one in the surrounding mountains ala The Empire Strikes Back duel. Maybe have Anakin disappear for a bit to build up the tension and he comes sweeping out of no where like what Vader did in Empire. And for someone that was like a brother, Obi-Wan sure never tried to plead with Anakin. :lol

Could have been a great duel if Lucas held some restraint and made it simpler. The lava planet setting and facility as a backdrop was enough. It should have been about Obi-Wan and Anakin, not the elements of a new exotic planet.

Basically I could not agree more with the whole post... But I really agree with the Yoda and Emperor bit... Worthless and it took away from what was supposed to be the pinnacle of the PT. It should have been all them and not the CGI fight between Yoda and the Emperor.

Less would have been more.

if you breakdown down palpatine's initial attack. there's nothing spectacular or amazing about it....yet he owned 2 masters in an instant.
you can practically see him pull back his blows before impaling agen kolar. that move is an easy block.
latest

nothing special or amazing.

:slap

Not really, it just showed how poorly choreographed that scene was, the Jedi basically stood there and let him chop them down. Just as they all did during order 66.... It's almost as if Lucas forgot they were meant to be ultimate bad asses at times.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

It's cool the WWEJedi likes it though... to each his own.

I also hate the mentality Obi-Wan and Yoda have in not only the Prequels but the Original Trilogy as well.

Jedi shouldn't be killers or assassins should they? They're supposed to be compassionate, peace keeping warriors. Luke had the right idea of not wanting to kill his own father, even if his friends were in danger. That's heroic and honorable. What did Obi-Wan and Yoda want him to do though? Kill him. They told Luke he wouldn't be a Jedi unless he faced and killed Vader. Likewise, in Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan and Yoda splitting apart to face the Emperor and Anakin seperately is silly. Yoda and Obi-Wan could have taken on the Emperor, it would have worked. Screw Anakin, Padme will distract him. Besides, if Anakin is all powerful, yet Obi-Wan can best him, doesn't that mean Palps wouldn't stand a chance against Obi-Wan and Yoda?

Then there's Mace. It's so funny in TPM where he says they're peace keepers, not soldiers, then you have him slicing off Jango Fett's hands and decapitating him in front of his son with this smug look on his face. The whole Jedi council was whacked, especially with the "no love" thing. No wonder Anakin snapped, the council was made up of manipulative monk nut jobs that were basically emotionless robots. :lol

The only two Jedi Knights I like are Luke Skywalker (obviously), and Qui-Gon Jinn. They both did their own thing, were rebellious but still good. I'm looking forward to seeing Luke in Force Awakens.

I also hate the mentality Obi-Wan and Yoda have in not only the Prequels but the Original Trilogy as well.

Jedi shouldn't be killers or assassins should they? They're supposed to be compassionate, peace keeping warriors. Luke had the right idea of not wanting to kill his own father, even if his friends were in danger. That's heroic and honorable. What did Obi-Wan and Yoda want him to do though? Kill him. They told Luke he wouldn't be a Jedi unless he faced and killed Vader. Likewise, in Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan and Yoda splitting apart to face the Emperor and Anakin seperately is silly. Yoda and Obi-Wan could have taken on the Emperor, it would have worked. Screw Anakin, Padme will distract him. Besides, if Anakin is all powerful, yet Obi-Wan can best him, doesn't that mean Palps wouldn't stand a chance against Obi-Wan and Yoda?

Then there's Mace. It's so funny in TPM where he says they're peace keepers, not soldiers, then you have him slicing off Jango Fett's hands and decapitating him in front of his son with this smug look on his face. The whole Jedi council was whacked, especially with the "no love" thing. No wonder Anakin snapped, the council was made up of manipulative monk nut jobs that were basically emotionless robots. :lol

The only two Jedi Knights I like are Luke Skywalker (obviously), and Qui-Gon Jinn. They both did their own thing, were rebellious but still good. I'm looking forward to seeing Luke in Force Awakens.

Agree again, especially the bold part.... Don't forget that they identified force strong children and ripped them from their families and brought them up as unloving robots.

Don't forget that they identified force strong children and ripped them from their families and brought them up as unloving robots.

Yup.

I liked the idea that Qui-Gon was going to train Anakin on his own, without the council's permission. There's that line from Obi-Wan "please, don't defy the coouncil master, not again" which basically clues us in that this isn't the first time he's told them to go **** themselves and did his own thing. :lol Bet Anakin wouldn't have turned into a child killing nutjob if Jinn hadn't died. Also thought it was strange in 1999 how the council considered a 9 year old kid "too old". :monkey4

I wonder who Luke is going to take under his wing. My guess is the Rey chick.

Back