Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

Yes, I know Snyder did campaign for a Superman movie, well actually he campaigned for a Batman movie, Warners wouldn't do it but said he could reboot Superman, good job he made of it too. :lol

Keep Snyder away from Star Wars. Why? Because he is a cheesy hack of a director, who can not originate his own material, the best pure directing gig he did was Dawn of of The Dead (a remake of sorts) everything else was a frame by frame copy/interpretation (Watchmen, 300) or a complete disaster (Suckerpunch, MOS, Guardians of Owl's Ass) and I happen to care about Star Wars.
:lol

Erm, that was a joke? How could a Snyder prop have been seen in the OT?

Well i dont like 300 but Watchmen is a pretty impressive adaptation (save for those fight who were too sexy and stylized but hey he had to do it or the studios would have said no). Unlike Rodriguez, he directed a movie did not just mimick panels.
I like his directing style but he must stay the **** away from scripts.
Suckerpunch was like the first comic book of an aspiring artist, the guy put everything he loved in all the comics he read.
At least he got these images out of his head he wont do it again. It still has some quite impressive shots.
Directing wise MOS was cool (too much handheld stuff tho sometimes), its far from perfect but its less boring for me than all the marvel stuff who are well done but "been there already seen that" feel is getting bigger movie after movies.
Guardian is quite impressive visually, the flight scenes are really cool, the story was boring but tone was too weird and scary for kids.
On something like Star Wars he would not be let loose, and will have to follow the producers wishes.
I like his visual style, DOTD was the perfect mash between his stylized shots (slow mo etc) and a more classical style.
He's the only director that know how to perfectly iconize his characters, but yeah looks like he would kill an idea for a cool shot or scene wich is annoying.
He needs to get back to this and stay away from the script!!!
Now he's no hack, he frame his shot, do his own storyboards.
Hacks for me are guys like those behind the winter soldier or Iron Man who do **** actually and leave most the job to the cinematographer or storyboard/previz artists (just check Federico D'Alessandro animatics for marvels movies and you will see that he's the guy who actually direct the movies for marvel).
To their credits, that the Marvel way, even Gunn on Guardians had to follow the rules and basically directed only the comedy scenes.

Last edited:

That Rebel base looks cool.

It looks very OTish. :lol

Its like The Shire with Yavin doors. :lol

Last edited:

Yeah i like the WWW2 feel, probably some decommissioned military base.

Yeah, love the location and look of the base. They must have done sewage issues though with all those pipes.

I wonder what they will be lifting with that "green screen" crane. Figure that crane would need to be in the shot and removed in post. Curious.

Painting something green chroma doesn't help in any way in post production to paint remove it.
It only helps if the object is against a matching green background, which this obviously isn't. I'm sure it's gonna be painted out but that's nothing to do with its color. Just saying. :lol

Painting something green chroma doesn't help in any way in post production to paint remove it.
It only helps if the object is against a matching green background, which this obviously isn't. I'm sure it's gonna be painted out but that's nothing to do with its color. Just saying. :lol

They're more likely to 'paint' it into something else, like one of them watch towers on Yavin IV :lol

They're more likely to 'paint' it into something else, like one of them watch towers on Yavin IV :lol

They can do any number of things, and maybe the color of the crane is completely coincidental and only has something to do with the branding of the crane service. There are plenty of green cranes around here and they're not being used for movie work. ;) But that's not to say that you can't more easily isolate an object when it's painted a consistent and contrasting color.

Last edited:

omg no why dey change dis movie gunna sux?!

It looks a bit like a Blockade Runner dish.

EDIT: BTW It wouldn't surprise me to see this one get blown up during a fight. JJ likes to tear thousands of bits off ships during fights, the Falcon is likely to go through some patch-up work at some point.

It will be amazing if Hand Solo and the Maluminum Falcon go out in a blaze of glory.

They can do any number of things, and maybe the color of the crane is completely coincidental and only has something to do with the branding of the crane service. There are plenty of green cranes around here and they're not being used for movie work. ;) But that's not to say that you can't more easily isolate an object when it's painted a consistent and contrasting color.

That's incorrect. Having an object as a consistent colour makes zero difference. Having it bright bright green makes it more difficult and time consuming to remove from the background. Black is best as it has no luminance spill into the surrounding pixels. You are not "keying" something off a source plate, you are covering it, filling the gap that it leaves.

omg no why dey change dis movie gunna sux?!

Lando ****ed up in ROTJ, don't ya remember the scene where they enter the DSII and he says that was too close. Look closely radar dish gets knocked off...

mfxdish.jpg

Tada...

So blame Lando...

99% of the ship looks amazingly true to the OT. Whatever JJ changes another director can put back later.

I'm all cool with mods to the falcon. In 30 years there's no way Han and Chewie wouldn't do a thing to it. That's what they do... Tinker and upgrade. The quad cannons are Han and Chewie mods. The dish they had in the OT was a mod from stock, and that got smashed off during the Death Star 2 run. That's what makes the falcon so great... It's a hodgepodge.

Of all the "arenas" where they've had lightsaber fights in SW the one that sort of cries out for a good duel is inside and around the Falcon while it's on the ground. Luke and a sith have it out and the radar dish gets cut off!

Back