Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the idea that we as viewers are showing up in the middle of it...it's the same thing George did way back when and it works here too

Only difference is, George had three spare episode slots to tell the back story. This time they'll have to rely on flashbacks.

Anyone mentioned Captain Ithano? That's one more nod to the prequels...

a778f0b3c43bb3a651f7363641640350.jpg

the idea that we as viewers are showing up in the middle of it...it's the same thing George did way back when and it works here too.

And another thing about the movie to me that seems to go unsaid in a lot of the back-n-forth. Looking at the story and characters here, this is one dark movie. It's the one main thing Kasdan and Abrams have done here that makes me sad...that "happy" ending we all saw in ROTJ all those years ago turned out to be

....still a little nervous about Treverrow (Jurassic World has to be one of the most bald-faced, cookie-cutter- by-the-numbers success things we've seen in a long time...the very definition of a studio wet dream)...but we'll see.

I agree about the showing up in the middle... It's one of the things that increased my enjoyment after I thought about it.

The film was dark... Almost too dark... Not saying it's a bad thing... Its just usually the 2nd film in a series is when things get their darkest... If it gets darker then this one... Eek!!!

I gotta watch JW again... I don't get the hate... Must be because of all the money it made... Oh and the stupid promise of Dino's with guns :LOL

Anyone mentioned Captain Ithano? That's one more nod to the prequels...

I noticed another - on the soundtrack, track 18, around 1:37 it begins to echo "Anakin's Dark Deeds" from the ROTS soundtrack, if I'm not mistaken. If it's not the same notes exactly it is very evocative.

This is a very good point. The world was not clearly explained. The Knights of Ren remain unexplained too. This might be backlash to the PT which explained way too much of the political backstory.

And I loved that. SW has always been about casually throwing out unexplained references. Luke wants to go to the "Academy" but "it's not that I like the Empire I hate it..." So where is he going to enlist? Some Academy independent of the Empire? Never explained. The Empire's Academy? But why, he hates it. Never explained.

How is Cloud City a "free station outside the jurisdiction of the Empire?" The Empire has boundaries it can't cross? Post ANH? Sure didn't seem like it. Not fully explained. Mining guild? What's that and how do they fit in with galactic politics?

Knights of Ren reminds me of "Dark Lord of the Sith." That term was front and center on the Topps trading cards, SW Storybook, and novelization. Never explained.

Those are all fun things to ponder and speculate about but so not necessary to appreciate the story told on screen. The First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire and basically seem to look and function in much the same way, complete with evil dictator. Do we know their full jurisdiction in the galaxy? Nope, but we didn't with the Empire either.

And I loved that. SW has always been about casually throwing out unexplained references. Luke wants to go to the "Academy" but "it's not that I like the Empire I hate it..." So where is he going to enlist? Some Academy independent of the Empire? Never explained. The Empire's Academy? But why, he hates it. Never explained.

How is Cloud City a "free station outside the jurisdiction of the Empire?" The Empire has boundaries it can't cross? Post ANH? Sure didn't seem like it. Not fully explained. Mining guild? What's that and how do they fit in with galactic politics?

Knights of Ren reminds me of "Dark Lord of the Sith." That term was front and center on the Topps trading cards, SW Storybook, and novelization. Never explained.

Those are all fun things to ponder and speculate about but so not necessary to appreciate the story told on screen.

True. I guess I just want to know more about the Knights. But I thought the film could have at least had someone say that Kylo is of the Order of Ren or something to give him placement relative to Sith and everything else.

Ok, just returned from my 3rd.

It is time to gladly eat my own words.

Everyone get out of my way, I need a straight line to Khev's feelings on this movie.

It finally clicked with me today, I have now fully embraced this movie, it truly does belong here with us among the clouds.

I can now confidently place this movie up there alongside the OT.

Further thoughts:

Old man on Jakku clearly reminded Kylo that he wasn't raised by the darkside like the FO was.

Right there at the start of the movie we're already being told that Kylo is weaker and more vunerable than he wants to be, he can still easily lose in a battle of will or strength.

That right there sold me why Rey got the upper hand on him.

Maz improved this time, as did Snoke. I always liked Snoke's scenes, music and his voice, just his look that bugged me.

Junk dude on Jakku has a really cool voice.

Final assault had mini death star generators from ROTJ that Poe was taking out.

During the MF escape off Jakku there were musical cues from the ESB asteroid escape!

Kylo seeing that Rey is always thinking about an island. That tells you right there that she had been with Luke before. She might've not been dropped off as a kid on Jakku as we've been led to believe!

It is obvious that Han/Leia/Maz know much more about Rey than they're letting on. Rey must've been separated to live with Luke for some reason, maybe they felt the darkside in Ben.

Kylo in a very major way is also responsible for Rey's awakening because while he was messing with her mind he kept pulling and pulling on her thoughts and emotions until she actually PUSHED back on him!

It is now obvious to me with Kylo's injuries that Snoke might be giving him some prosthetics in E8.

Yes, music with Snoke is the same as ROTS.

Rey is an amazing character played perfectly by that actress.

Yes, seeing Luke get his father's saber back still gets me choked up!

Now, what really gives me hope and made me fully move past my initial anger.

YES Han is dead, BUT I don't think this will be the last we see of him.

There is no way in hell that Lucas, Disney and Ford will let the last time we see Han be his death!

One way or another, Han will reunite with the ones he loves and we will visually see that happen.

Don't ask me how or why.

Ok, this movie IS Star Wars to me, I now unequivocally LOVE it!

FU PT!

Last edited:
I have a question for some of you Star Wars trivia types...

Did Chewbacca ever fire his bowcaster in any of the OT films? I can't recall if it was ever used until Episode 7. Thanks!

He did but nothing to the extent shown here.

They obviously wanted to make Chewie bad ass this time out and they absolutely succeeded 100%

He was running and gunning mowing down fools in this movie.

OT he could muster up a fast walk. :lol

Back