Star Wars: High Republic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll wait and see before I judge. Just because it's "female-centric", doesn't mean it won't be worth watching regardless of gender.

How many sci-fi/fantasy films did Irvin Kershner direct before Empire? The question should be, is she a talented writer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A thirtysomething woman with no experience in sci-fi or action was just hired to be the showrunner of a new female led Star Wars series on Disney+.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/st...2VEBIrWuPbLnstAf3wXJ3XBwb4y8bKK2AK-yw8f8RdmKw

It's about time!

Meh, I've no problem with this...
I think it's fine if they want to do a feminist SW series, doesn't take anything from the OT or PT. The ST was the actual insult, as it was linked to a beloved story and characters. This... who cares? Might be even good.

What the hell ever happened to simply making show's for All Star Wars fans, male/female and adult/child.

I've never read of a female SW fan/fans getting upset that all these SW movies/tv shows have too many damn men in them!!!

WTF with "centric" focused shows. Men like female characters, just like women like male characters. Don't know a male SW fan that doesn't like Princess Leia, nor a female SW fan that doesn't like Han Solo. Most fans love Ahsoka in The Clone Wars & Rebels. And Sabine & Hera were liked in Rebels. An Ahsoka D+ show would be very well received. By ALL fans.

Look what happened to the fandom over Rey Mary Sue in the ST. I liked her in TFA, then ****ing hated her after TLJ. Still refuse to see TROS. And I liked Jyn in RO. She wasn't forced female superiority.

Next up, a SW LGBTQ centric focused show.... featuring/staring a previously known SW character, that is now Gay/Lesbian/other...

FO Disney... :rotfl

Well, that's the Mandalorian, right?

I'll wait and see before I judge. Just because it's "female-centric", doesn't mean it won't be worth watching regardless of gender.

How many sci-fi/fantasy films did Irvin Kershner direct before Empire? The question should be, is she a talented writer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, question is she a Deborah Chow and/or able to write or work with a good action choreographer. And worry more about telling a story than making a statement. There's hope for Obiwan and the Cassian series. Mando's already planning Season 3. There's room. *Shrug* Maybe the female lead is Yaddle:cool:

Chow has already said she doesn't want anyone to think of her as a female director or an Asian director but just a director because she wants her work to speak for itself.

This new chick is another Brie Larson when it comes to identity politics.

Chow has already said she doesn't want anyone to think of her as a female director or an Asian director but just a director because she wants her work to speak for itself.

This new chick is another Brie Larson when it comes to identity politics.

Did Chow direct any season 2 episodes or is she only working on Kenobi now? Her episodes in season one were great, arguably the best.

Did Chow direct any season 2 episodes or is she only working on Kenobi now? Her episodes in season one were great, arguably the best.

Hopefully she had time to do another one before joining the development team for Kenobi. The only directors that have been confirmed for Season 2 that I'm aware of are Favreau, Robert Rodriguez and Carl Weathers. So psyched to see what comes next especially if that concept art of Michael Biehn as a grizzled mudtrooper is legit.

I have seen video, that woman who was hired is extremely inarticulate and awful. Disney/Lucasfilm clearly hasn't learned a damn thing.

I have seen video, that woman who was hired is extremely inarticulate and awful. Disney/Lucasfilm clearly hasn't learned a damn thing.

Yeah, looked her bio up - "comedy/drama" which to me telegraphed "emo". I don't need characters sitting around too long pondering the meaning of life. Ironically, watching Clone Wars and Rebels, I keep getting impressed by the richness of character development and themes without bogging down. Like when Ahkosa gets confronted with the end result of a Jedi victory, long after, and learns not everyone is so impressed with the Jedi being the guardians of peace.

But the stories don't feel bogged down/rushed *yeah Filoni*:clap

Anyway, if Disney keeps trying and failing with the emo/sjw/bad writing, they deserve another smack:thwak. Still, Rick Famuyiwa was baffled why Favreau picked him, and that episode of Mando was a lot of fun and a different take. So sometimes an off-the-wall choice can work.

Guess nobody learned from Harley Quinn:nana:. IMO it doesn't matter if it's "female-led" which is a stupid concept anyway, since there were always plenty of females in SW before the ST.

I'd disagree too with Mandalorian being an anomaly, as good writing shouldn't be an anomaly (tho maybe it is lately). You had 2 experienced writers/directors sell Disney on what they wanted to do, had a story in hand, and knew how to execute and innovate.

Vs. Disney kinda flopping around with the ST and THEN they start with a director who had some excellent concepts, but *historically* had failed to bring any richness or depth to the concepts vs. just stuffing as much *&% into the box and shameless re-hash.

I'd assumed this rumored series was gonna be the rumored Ahsoka series, tho maybe that messes up timelines.:dunno *Shrug*. Don't even know where this would fit in on the Disney + slate; the MCU stuff was suspended but will pick up production when able; Cassian series is in work; even the on/off Obiwan series is farther along. Good luck trying to get anything new off the ground right now.:pigfly:

Guess nobody learned from Harley Quinn:nana:. IMO it doesn't matter if it's "female-led" which is a stupid concept anyway, since there were always plenty of females in SW before the ST.

Agreed. :lecture

As a female fan that's been into this stuff for years, I just don't understand this mindset of "It's female led!!! Be excited!!! :panic:". Like that's something that's going to sell me on it and I should praise the announcement because I'm a woman.

That's not how it works. That tells me nothing of the story or characters, which is the thing that you actually have to sell me on: I have to be interested in the story and then I have to get attached to the characters, if you want me to fan over something.

Being "female led" doesn't mean quality, any more than something being "male led.

I love well written female characters the same as I love well written male characters. And no, "precious role model whose only flaw is that she hasn't yet discovered how awesome she already is" isn't a well written female character. Same with "let's dumb everyone else down to raise this character up" and "let's give this character everything that belonged to another character without earning it." Those things don't work with characters of either gender. That doesn't "empower" me. It just irritates the hell out of me. :slap

Who knows if this series will even happen - the already in the works Obi-wan and Cassian Andor series have had issues. TROS was a mess. This High Republic "everyone is awesome!" *insert the Lego movie song* sounds so bland it's ridiculous - seriously, look up the character descriptions!

LFL is a mess. The Mandalorian (with some help from The Clone Wars, it sounds like) is carrying the whole of Star Wars on his back, as well as baby Yoda.

Last edited:

As a female fan that's been into this stuff for years, I just don't understand this mindset of "It's female led!!! Be excited!!! :panic:". Like that's something that's going to sell me on it and I should praise the announcement because I'm a woman.

That's not how it works. That tells me nothing of the story or characters, which is the thing that you actually have to sell me on: I have to be interested in the story and then I have to get attached to the characters, if you want me to fan over something.

Being "female led" doesn't mean quality, any more than something being "male led.

I love well written female characters the same as I love well written male characters. And no, "precious role model whose only flaw is that she hasn't yet discovered how awesome she already is" isn't a well written female character. Same with "let's dumb everyone else down to raise this character up" and "let's give this character everything that belonged to another character without earning it." Those things don't work with characters of either gender. That doesn't "empower" me. It just irritates the hell out of me. :slap

Who knows if this series will even happen - the already in the works Obi-wan and Cassian Andor series have had issues. TROS was a mess. This High Republic "everyone is awesome!" *insert the Lego movie song* sounds so bland it's ridiculous - seriously, look up the character descriptions!

LFL is a mess. The Mandalorian (with some help from The Clone Wars, it sounds like) is carrying the whole of Star Wars on his back, as well as baby Yoda.

:goodpost: ........ :clap

As I stated in my post, I agree with everything you said.

This High Republic "everyone is awesome!" *insert the Lego movie song* sounds so bland it's ridiculous - seriously, look up the character descriptions!

LOL I gotta look this up:cool:. True, true. Dunno where the idea of a character wrestling with doubt/character flaws - or who IS just less than perfect - went. Look at Kylo Ren - IMO it would have been a lot more interesting (with Adam Driver's acting chops) to NOT just give him a pass "because he was being controlled".

Contrast that with - and still getting my head around how good the writing is in Clone Wars/Rebels, for what it is - say Rebel's Agent Kallus, who had a character evolution, vs. getting a insta-pass.

IMO Disney would be better off following the MCU model - apparently like with TWS 20 or so directors are looked at, and Feige & co. check out what someone wants to do. That way, like with Favreau and Filoni, you are going into it with a PLAN in place. Not this muddled white board approach where boxes are getting ticked off.
IMO there are too many people at the table with High Republic to ever pull off any kind of story with a cohesive vision - whether people liked it or hated it, ultimately, at least you would have ended up with a consistent tone. Not a feel-good mess.

Unless, of course, the whole plan is to dumb down the High Republic and basically target the youngest audience - especially girls - to try to milk the toy market like with Frozen. E.g. lots of Disney princesses. DIVERSE Disney princesses - collect 'em all!:bunnydanc

I dunno why they just don't pull directly from Clone Wars/Rebels and evolve live action straight from the series - plenty of good characters already fleshed out. Tho seems like Mandalorion is opening the door for some of that.:clap

Apparently there is new information coming from a Disney exec that the woefully underperforming Galaxy's Edge theme park wing was originally set to be based on Mos Eisley and the Millennium Falcon docking bay 94. There was a team working for a period of time on this project that was eventually scrapped and replaced by yep you guessed it...Kathleen Kennedy.

She said something along the lines of the OT being for fifty year olds in the replacement meeting apparently. The funny thing is that the 50 year olds she despises will likely outlive her failed wing of the park.

Apparently there is new information coming from a Disney exec that the woefully underperforming Galaxy's Edge theme park wing was originally set to be based on Mos Eisley and the Millennium Falcon docking bay 94. There was a team working for a period of time on this project that was eventually scrapped and replaced by yep you guessed it...Kathleen Kennedy.

She said something along the lines of the OT being for fifty year olds in the replacement meeting apparently. The funny thing is that the 50 year olds she despises will likely outlive her failed wing of the park.

Can't say I am surprised. That park is a joke. She is one of the most incompetent executives I have ever seen. Congrats, you made money on the movies but have done billions worth of future damage.

It should have been on Tatooine. Fits in with the PT and OT.

photo-2-copy-e1440450809889.jpg

e2f0b2ac6f92fc186570b3dd76c77406.jpg

My wish was something like the above.

Disney has unlimited resources and they give the most bland, basic, uninspiring, non-Star Warsy feel they could have possibly given.

Those pics above easily show how nothing had to be either/or and that the entire park could have just had little sections catering to every film, new and old. For years Disney's Star Wars Weekends had Clonetroopers and Stormtroopers sharing the same park, Ashoka rubbing shoulders with ewoks, etc. Everyone wins and people loved it.

Those pics above easily show how nothing had to be either/or and that the entire park could have just had little sections catering to every film, new and old. For years Disney's Star Wars Weekends had Clonetroopers and Stormtroopers sharing the same park, Ashoka rubbing shoulders with ewoks, etc. Everyone wins and people loved it.

Agreed.

Their old Star Wars weekend stuff was great.

I just don't understand why that park was solely ST based with little tie ins to OT and barely any mention to the ST. Everyone should be able to have parts of their favorite trilogy featured.

You know how damn awesome it would be to walk down the streets of Mos Eisley or Mos Espa? I'd have a stupid grin the whole time :lol

I don't even like the ST but I think it would still be cool to see Jakku or Maz's castle. Just to explore each world from all the movies would be amazing.

Back