Star Wars: High Republic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this sentiment expressed quite a bit and I find it very funny especially in light of Ghostbusters: Afterlife that had so many people saying "THIS is how you make a loving tribute to a beloved franchise, I'm gonna buy MORE Ghostbusters merch now" when both the ST and GBA told literally the exact same story. :lol

The difference? KK wore a t-shirt that people didn't like...
To be fair, that KK shirt was photoshopped. Looks real, but it just says SW. Amazing the damage you can do and still make money. SW fans will suck up anything and everything, it is just how much money are you losing out on. In a big corp structure, it is probably not even noticeable how crappy a job she is doing.

Hollywood sure is good at getting a blockbuster, ruining it a couple times, then sometimes revitalizing it with nostalgia in a more logical way. Alien, Predator, Rambo, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, Superman, Batman, Marvel, Blade Runner, Terminator all whored out by corporations. Got to give credit to Robert Zemeckis as he ain't letting anybody try and taint his BTTF trilogy.

Even though I have no interest in the High Republic era, and I shudder at all the straight-up lifting of PT imagery in this new Eclipse game trailer, I'm finding myself watching it more and more out of sheer awe for where the visual technology is at, and imagining the leaps and bounds that quantum-based AI will grow by in the near future to work in tandem with it. This trailer might someday be reflected upon as an early step in the next evolution of SW (and franchise entertainment in general). The current debate about whether SW is better suited for movies or television might be ignoring where the future of entertainment truly is, and how it's already starting.

Video games address the biggest "want" and the biggest "need" that SW fans seem to have. The want is nostalgia. The need is control over story.

Nostalgia is what fuels the SW franchise, plain and simple. For every one of us who craves something new to provide a *next* version of what we experienced when the OT (or PT, I suppose) was originally released, there seems to be thousands more who would simply prefer that original experience to be evoked via nostalgia instead. Video games have the best mechanism for providing unlimited nostalgia to satiate that desire.

A cgi Luke will always stick out among live-action counterparts, no matter how seamless the technology gets (we will always know, and thus always be scrutinizing it). But in video games, every character/actor is digitally rendered, so it's inherently seamless. You want a young Hamill Luke doing crazy Jedi things against a Thrawn-led Imperial remnant? Or you want more of Lee's Dooku, or young SLJ Mace? Video games will deliver any scenario like those with far fewer budget constraints and other logistical impediments.

And the kicker is the control of story aspect. These games will get to the point where the AI will be so advanced that open-world game engines will allow for truly open-ended story experiences. No more whining about "that's not how so-and-so would act" or "that's not how I wanted such-and-such to end up." And voice-pattern tech will eventually allow gamers to have original-actor characters react organically with whatever scenario that gamer is constructing. To top it off, I'm sure there'll be a background program collecting gameplay data to reformat all of it into a condensed cinematic version upon completion. And these cinematics will be uploaded on social media platforms for mass viewing.

This game might not end up being what shifts the paradigm, but I think it's a harbinger of what will.

Last edited:
It could be a new Halloween tradition to give High Republic non-action figures in lieu of candy...

giphy.gif

Back