Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, to me it comes down not to a particular film, but to the burning need for the new story to be told at all, or not - ie is it simply a new franchise entry for commercial purposes, which is a very large % of branded content over the past 15 years.

There are valid reasons to remake a film - original poorly produced (FX, production values,) dated decor/acting style or by the era (eg Jaws costumes clearly 70's,) a great story just not all that well told by that particular filmmaker back then, the film itself being famous but didn't achieve classic/embedded in the culture status where everything came together (Jaws, Raiders, BTTF, The Godfather are movies that would be suicide to remake.)

Valid reasons for a sequel/prequel too - a clear need to expand on a character story that really resonated with people, unresolved story material in the first film, a new idea that really connects with and expands on (and informs) the original.

The OT seems impervious on most of these points. I'd argue that only really RO fulfils the "reason for being" test, because it shows ANH from a very different perspective (not just character - also genre, outlook, design aesthetic - truly re-envisioning ANH) and one that expands upon (while intimately connecting to) ANH. It's the BTTF2 of the Disney SW films.

Both ST films - and I'm assuming TROS too - to me fail the "reason for being" test. Unable to find a new, mythic take on the wider SW story world, they at first closely replicated the OT storyline and characters (while using the excuse of "but it's a Star Wars film, you gotta have a guy in black mask and red saber...") If the female Ghostbusters had had cameos by the original GBs (ie occurred in same story world) it would have been similar to TFA. The second film simply subverted expectations - in a strangely meta way - of fans based on the first film (which was only well received because it was PT mouthwash and a return to known territory, again perhaps a reason for the brazen replication to be forgiven.) TLJ is a minor part of this.

As for Disney - I hear this a bit on here, like people who have something against Disney. To me it's a non-issue. LFL was a major corporation worth billions even before the takeover.

I like the basic ideas of the PT, not the films. I do think with a quite different take on the material and a better director, these films will be much better - and they will be remade after Lucas passes.

In the same way I wish I could drink the Kool Aid. I KNOW it's 100% delicious.:lol

And I like what you're evoking - there is indeed a mythology to the time and place of the OT's creation, not just the OT itself. Some unique synergy of talents that does indeed constitute something magical, intertwined with but also separate from the films. But in some ways, I really love the fact that to me at the end of the day SW was so unique and special that it will remain impervious to replication or "grafting" - new projects that attempt to share the DNA. Looking like and sort of feeling like the OT but will be forgotten - because that is indeed the fate of the ST. In 100 years, the OT alone will be loved.

The past few years to me have proven that because cracking/replicating the DNA code of OT has proven impossible, the only way to make great SW films is to go with the RO model (and perhaps the Mandalorian) where you simply inhabit the time and place, with the BTTF2 vibe of being just around the corner from the sun-like glow of the OT storyline, because that's what is the magic for fans.

This is a great post.

A single film? :lol

Star Wars has been mostly crap for decades now. There are so many movies and only like 2 or 3 of them are any good. Each one is worse than the last. It didn’t just suddenly start with TLJ being putrid. It’s been building up for a long time now.

We all know where you stand Fab’s. Your distain for all thing cinema past 1986? Is well documented.

And your point has validity , even if some disgruntled fans do not realize it yet.

I do think there are fans out there whom are fans if the PT, had little complaints with TFA, who were turned off in a major way.
Iron for one, maybe Oto.....

Didn’t I read that Khev now considers TPM as part of his personal canon or some ****? It took, what, the Solo movie for him to come to that conclusion? :lol

I give him the next movie, the TV show and a visit to the Star Wars Disney park for him to accept AOTC and ROTS. So like two years. Then he’ll be fully indoctrinated into every era this tripe franchise has to offer.

And damn Jye, I could find a cat turd in a sandbox, slap a glittery yellow Star Wars logo on it and I know you’d eat it up. ADMIT IT

( I like that sig btw)

D I need balance in my life like somewhere in the middle ground of me hoping the human race wipes itself out to fully enjoying IX lol

Thanks for the sig compliment that lady working on me is the person who did all the gore in Toxic Avenger like the car tire running over the kids head and also the flying ***** in Street Trash lol

I had just gone to a Yngwie Malmsteen, Exciter and Mercyful Fate concert in Manhattan circa 1986 hence my Mercyful Fate t-shirt lol

Last edited:
Wut. Robocop came out in 1987 and it’s one of my favorite films.

giphy.gif

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

The past few years to me have proven that because cracking/replicating the DNA code of OT has proven impossible, the only way to make great SW films is to go with the RO model (and perhaps the Mandalorian) where you simply inhabit the time and place, with the BTTF2 vibe of being just around the corner from the sun-like glow of the OT storyline, because that's what is the magic for fans.

Yes I think the greatest chance of success with any new media is via an obvious tethering to (not attempted recreation of) the OT. RO, Solo, and The Mandalorian had/have the right idea. And unless I'm being duped TROS seems to be finally bringing the ST around to that notion as well.

:lol :lol

And if TROS sucks I'll be laying there like Dyson, "I don't know how much longer I can hold this...gasp...gasp.....................gasp..." BOOM

lol

Here’s Khev after Talibane tells him to ignore a new SW movie following Lucas’s blueprint:

DependableGreenKoi-size_restricted.gif

George's ideas + good execution = Happy Khev, lol. Obviously the OT mentioned the "Clone War" and Obi-Wan and Anakin dueling next to lava is age old SW lore so it was pretty painful to see George muck those up.

Ah yes, the modern man.

4i-had-a-vasectomy-yesterday-and-when-i-woke-up-39773961.png

YO6M0Lc.png

2ucz4iV.jpg

100% agreed on the first two pics. The rise of open mouth bearded soy face dudes in the past couple years is an embarrassment to our gender. But picking on the TROS reaction guy isn't cool. If you're a real man who's comfortable in his own skin you should aim to set a better example or as JAWS has often said as of late "rise above it." :duff

Last edited:
IF that eunuch's response was genuine, which I highly doubt....he also nearly pissed himself crying over the damn Clone Wars cartoon trailer....well, that's all well and good. But WHY...WHY would any man with even a shred of self-respect or awareness upload a video like that to the internet??

I cry at lots of movies. I even cry at rock concerts sometimes. But I sure as hell don't have a phone pointed at myself with snot running down my face livestreaming it in an attempt to get "likes."

IF that eunuch's response was genuine, which I highly doubt....he also nearly pissed himself crying over the damn Clone Wars cartoon trailer....well, that's all well and good. But WHY...WHY would any man with even a shred of self-respect or awareness upload a video like that to the internet??

I cry at lots of movies. I even cry at rock concerts sometimes. But I sure as hell don't have a phone pointed at myself with snot running down my face livestreaming it in an attempt to get "likes."

Well, not being mentally ill attention whore probably helps.....

Most of Youtube is......

Nah. Idc I’d never record myself crying over a movie like that. Most reactions aren’t genuine anyway

Ah yes, the modern man.

4i-had-a-vasectomy-yesterday-and-when-i-woke-up-39773961.png

YO6M0Lc.png

2ucz4iV.jpg

If they made movies for males like this it is not surprise why are females in main roles and why SW movies are in deep hole.
My faith only remains in Sly´s hand....RAMBO V. Guys from photos probably would run from cinema when they look machine gun in hand of Sly (naked torso of course) how he shoot cars, trains, airplanes... maybe some tie fighter in between.

If they made movies for males like this it is not surprise why are females in main roles and why SW movies are in deep hole.
My faith only remains in Sly´s hand....RAMBO V. Guys from photos probably would run from cinema when they look machine gun in hand of Sly (naked torso of course) how he shoot cars, trains, airplanes... maybe some tie fighter in between.

Sounds kinda gay.......

All right for the fun of it I present to you the Khev TROS trailer reaction. I must say these are much harder to make than they look, lol.

Last edited:
Back