Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked my local cinemas - not 1 session is sold, over the next week on multiple cinemas, not even the midnight screening!

Wasn't expecting that; even Friday night and Saturday night.

I'm expecting it to do 1-1.3 billion, but now I'm wondering if it's just the fanatical fans that will give this any life? If so, does that mean it won't even hit the billion mark?

Repeat viewing is where those sorts of numbers come into play, and even if I like it (which I doubt I will), I won't be giving one extra cent to Disney than I have to.

Hopefully they learn their lesson. If they had have delayed the whole start by 1 year... just 1 year, and mapped everything out, not put any agenda crap in it, (and not hire ****wit Johnson, they could have (possibly) evaded the current level of ill-will, and apathy toward the brand.

Dumb ****s.

Yeah, I just checked the two major theater locations near me - maybe six-eight screens all up - and it's the same (to be fair, there is a LOT of showing times in that first day or two of release across the two locations.) Most seem to be between 10% and 30% sold so far.

Even the midnight showings are maybe only a bit over half sold, but it's still around a week out, so maybe they fill up in that last few days as the hype hits.

Just checked my local cinemas - not 1 session is sold, over the next week on multiple cinemas, not even the midnight screening!

I'm expecting it to do 1-1.3 billion, but now I'm wondering if it's just the fanatical fans that will give this any life? If so, does that mean it won't even hit the billion mark?

Repeat viewing is where those sorts of numbers come into play, and even if I like it (which I doubt I will), I won't be giving one extra cent to Disney than I have to.

Hopefully they learn their lesson. If they had have delayed the whole start by 1 year... just 1 year, and mapped everything out, not put any agenda crap in it, (and not hire ****wit Johnson, they could have (possibly) evaded the current level of ill-will, and apathy toward the brand.

Dumb ****s.

Same here. Both my local cinemas midnight screenings are still only half full, which was the same as Solo?s midnight showing here. TFA and TLJ were sold out well in advance.

Well, if they never show Ben's downfall on-screen they'll at least have the comics:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't know where this optimism could possibly be coming from out of the guys who say "oh it looks cool, it COULD be good."

Can it? How can it POSSIBLY be good?

They just retconned 2/3rds of their trilogy, not to mentioned shat all over the actually conclusion of the original three OR six movies, however you want to look at it. It's not a hoax or a rumor....they were so desperate and void of an original thought that they actually just brought back Palpatine. I'm so thoroughly disgusted at the level of creative bankruptcy I can't even convey it.

Any one of us....literally ANY ONE OF US that posts on this thread could have come up with a better story for this movie or for their whole "trilogy" than what these supposed "professionals" have. The way Disney have mishandled this property by slapping together random **** at the last second is unfathomable.

Can you even imagine starting work on movie that's intended to be three parts, without even a slight notion of what the second and third parts will be? No, because "story" is obviously important to each and every one of us, or else we'd have never developed the passion we have to be as dedicated to collecting as we are.

There's zero passion here....this was all about money from the start. And that's fine. Companies make money. That's the point. But to literally not even give a **** about the story or the characters? I can't believe anyone that ever loved Star Wars as a kid would ever choose to reward this company for this middle finger in their face.

But it WILL make money. $1.5 billion, easily.

But mark my words....this movie is gonna be a pile of dog****. It might have some cool looking sequences or sets, but that's just polish on a turd. TFA was the most soulless and sterile corporate product I've ever seen, but every trailer and clip and leak I've seen makes TFA look downright "warm" compared to this.

People will see it, and people will even "like" it....the way you like staring at a fireplace and your eyes just kind of glaze over. But they'll only like it cause they WANT to like it. They NEED to like it.

People like this winner:

star_wars_cringe.jpg

Honestly maybe it?s because the common fan doesn?t know any better and just takes their dosage as is? I mean slap the Disney brand on and it?s horde to the masses, this movie is completely on track for biggest opening for a sw film but at the same time a lot of people are skeptical about this film, so who knows, Star Wars became disneyfied a long time ago but they cater to all sides, just imagine if you get a passionate team behind this.

But Hey know the Ryan Johnson trilogy is inevitable since knives out made its way into one the top 10 movies of this year despite only making a 130million in the box office, he wants to talk bad about toxic fandom but look where it got him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know where this optimism could possibly be coming from out of the guys who say "oh it looks cool, it COULD be good."

Can it? How can it POSSIBLY be good?

Because they like Star Wars, haven’t seen the film yet (like you), and are probably simply hoping for the best but expecting the worst (rightfully so). I don’t know anyone who actually likes a franchise and roots for an upcoming installment from it to fail.

Is there a spoiler thread anywhere on this movie? Have been looking but haven't seen it.

I'm so unexcited for this movie that I actually, for the first time ever, looked up the leaks. I was hoping maybe there would be some cool moments that would get me excited for the new movie and make me want to go see it on opening weekend. I've seen every Star Wars movie that's come out in my lifetime on opening weekend (except for Solo) and honestly I've been feeling like I don't even care to go see it in theaters. So I decided maybe I could drum up some interest if the movie sounded cool and....my god. It sounds so bad. So so bad. Like, just end the entire franchise bad. I feel like I need other people's opinions on the spoilers. There's no way they can be true.

What has happened to my beloved Star Wars....

I’ll see it in theaters, but probably after Christmas. I’m not excited either, but I’ve already seen the first two in theaters, so may as well finish it off. I hope it’s good, but I fully expect it to be flaming garbage as an overall film. Nothing to lose at that point except the price of a movie ticket.

I?m waiting for fan reviews. I?m not rushing into the theater like I did. I don?t understand why people say it didn?t destroy a huge chunk of the fanbase. It nose definitely did. Not even AOTc was so hated when it came out. People straight up loathe this franchise. And I don?t see any kids embracing Rey or any others

Dumb ****s.

My urban area any fan events/midnight shows are long gone, as are next day afternoon evening shows. Had to get noon matinee tickets - and live in area with massive number of theaters.

Didn't check Sat/Sunday but getting tickets for the theater u want, when u want, has been a pain in the *ss. At least opening week since we waited too long. Tho we don't look at theaters with fake tiny IMAX or poor sound systems. Also if folks are travelling like going to the movies at ur destination u may wait until family reunion to buy tickets and see if Auntie wants to go, or what.

Just sayin' coz was never a mega-uber SW fan (except for Mandalorian all of a sudden, a show that gives me life:cool:). But I would've gone anyway. It's STAR WARS:lightsabe on a big screen and nothing I can match at home, view-wise or sound system.

So I'm gonna guess profit-wise it does just fine. Not sayin' the TLJ thing doesn't have some effect, but there's a huge number of movie-goers who don't know or don't care. Don't read critic reviews. For those folks, u can go to SW, Frozen, Cats - Frozen 2 already has mixed reviews, Cats - is musical etc., other movies u wouldn't take kids to.

i mean this movie has like one or two theaters, with the TFA it was non stop sold out, you could not get seating until the following week... This movie of course will be exaggerated into succes because disney demands an extra 2 bucks on ticket pricing other than matinee so who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a lot of theaters by me. Most are sold out on Thursday night and from what I’ve checked reasonable attendance on Friday. IMO they have overbooked. CATS is mot showing at any of my 3 closest theaters Friday but does have Thurs previews andSat showings.

I think it will be a very good opening but light on repeat viewings in the following weeks. But wtf do I know. :lol

From what I hear Rose is basically TFA Artoo in this one. She has a couple “get ‘em” lines but mostly JJ put her in sleep mode under a table cloth. So the pronoun-concerned audience members might have a mad and tweet from home.

We have a lot of theaters by me. Most are sold out on Thursday night and from what I?ve checked reasonable attendance on Friday. IMO they have overbooked. CATS is mot showing at any of my 3 closest theaters Friday but does have Thurs previews andSat showings.

I think it will be a very good opening but light on repeat viewings in the following weeks. But wtf do I know. :lol

From what I hear Rose is basically TFA Artoo in this one. She has a couple ?get ?em? lines but mostly JJ put her in sleep mode under a table cloth. So the pronoun-concerned audience members might have a mad and tweet from home.

Kind've a shame, if they'd just left her a feisty mechanic without larding it up with other stuff she'd probably be beloved character. Heck coming up with a storyline where she pairs up with BB-8 in a subplot could've been great.

Re attendance, ROTS has it over something like Justice League IMO 'coz *socially* Star Wars is modern culture. Grandma and Grandpa will got to SW but they won't go to a comic book movie. Plus timing it over holiday season - folks get bored/cabin fever, wanna go to movies etc. People off work and have more time and gift cards etc.

Plus Disney is falling over itself with hype. Disney will make its numbers. Dunno if they think buying rights from Lucas paid off the way they wanted or not. Guess it did.:dunno

I have no doubt KM Tran will be great in great roles but I found Rose horrific almost from the jump. As someone who enjoyed Finn in TFA I was alarmed that he was violently waylaid by a self-appointed security guard/obsessed fangirl and denied his basic human right to survival.
She started out like the SW equivalent of Annie Wilkes and spent the rest of the movie being insufferable, finishing up with possibly the worst line in the saga.

I can’t imagine a redeeming scenario for the character but I’ll be okay with seeing her push a button at the right moment or something.

Kind've a shame, if they'd just left her a feisty mechanic without larding it up with other stuff she'd probably be beloved character. Heck coming up with a storyline where she pairs up with BB-8 in a subplot could've been great.

Re attendance, ROTS has it over something like Justice League IMO 'coz *socially* Star Wars is modern culture. Grandma and Grandpa will got to SW but they won't go to a comic book movie. Plus timing it over holiday season - folks get bored/cabin fever, wanna go to movies etc. People off work and have more time and gift cards etc.

Plus Disney is falling over itself with hype. Disney will make its numbers. Dunno if they think buying rights from Lucas paid off the way they wanted or not. Guess it did.:dunno

Yeah, this will make money, it's Star Wars. Will it approach Endgame numbers? Heck no. I am Star Wars first, Marvel second and I went to the theater six times to see Endgame. TROS will really have to be something special for me to do that, considering I'm only so-so on the remaining cast of characters. Had Han and Luke still (physically) been in the mix, I could totally see me hit this a half dozen times. As is, I suspect I will see it twice in theaters. I hope I'm wrong and I'm crazy for it though!

I saw TFA twice in the theater and picked up the Blu-ray when it went on sale about a year later.

I saw TLJ once in the theater. Haven't seen it again. Skipped the Blu-ray.

I plan on seeing ROS on a $5 Tuesday night. Will skip the Blu-Ray.

No animosity from me. Simply disappointment in the direction taken.

Quick question for the experts: Do they take into consideration the amount of money spent in advertising when coming up with the total of money made on the film?

Is there a spoiler thread anywhere on this movie? Have been looking but haven't seen it.

I'm so unexcited for this movie that I actually, for the first time ever, looked up the leaks. I was hoping maybe there would be some cool moments that would get me excited for the new movie and make me want to go see it on opening weekend. I've seen every Star Wars movie that's come out in my lifetime on opening weekend (except for Solo) and honestly I've been feeling like I don't even care to go see it in theaters. So I decided maybe I could drum up some interest if the movie sounded cool and....my god. It sounds so bad. So so bad. Like, just end the entire franchise bad. I feel like I need other people's opinions on the spoilers. There's no way they can be true.

What has happened to my beloved Star Wars....

This is what was leaked:

Spoiler Spoiler:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...rise-of-skywalker-leaks-break-down-full-film/

Yeah, this will make money, it's Star Wars. Will it approach Endgame numbers? Heck no. I am Star Wars first, Marvel second and I went to the theater six times to see Endgame. TROS will really have to be something special for me to do that, considering I'm only so-so on the remaining cast of characters. Had Han and Luke still (physically) been in the mix, I could totally see me hit this a half dozen times. As is, I suspect I will see it twice in theaters. I hope I'm wrong and I'm crazy for it though!

I'd say - or would've said - I was a Marvel fan first and SW second for sure - but - I didn't think IW was all that and EG to me was more of a love letter to the characters - safe to say I wasn't into either and don't think either are particularly re-watchable except certain moments (like Cap in EG portal scene *holy &^%$:cool:). Saw both twice in theaters and that was enuff (tho re-watched EG more since)

Enjoyed TFA tho mildly disappointed so much was imitative - some stuff disappointed me, like that IMITATION (to me) forced a story where Han HAD to be back smuggling and separated from Leia - why? No-one asked, but I NEVER would've re-hashed like that:pfft:. Why couldn't they have just been together but scarred and worried over Kylo, and however, Han ends up helping Rey? Could've been just as dramatic. And at least it would've bridged Rey, Han, and Leia better IMO.

Abrams tried to cover that but it felt unnatural to me, vs. - something else. Anyway, I just roll with SW at this point. Can't say Abrams and Johnson don't come up with some spectacular shots; Kylo to me remains interesting; and I still like Finn and Poe even if the writers didn't take better care of them.:pfft:

Do feel for fans that are disappointed-furious-jumping ship; read some good essays on line. 'Coz a fan like me may go twice, maybe 3x and then wait for home release. Hard core fans will go for multiple repeat views IF they are happy; that's Disney losing money.:horror

I saw TFA twice in the theater and picked up the Blu-ray when it went on sale about a year later.

I saw TLJ once in the theater. Haven't seen it again. Skipped the Blu-ray.

I plan on seeing ROS on a $5 Tuesday night. Will skip the Blu-Ray.

No animosity from me. Simply disappointment in the direction taken.

Quick question for the experts: Do they take into consideration the amount of money spent in advertising when coming up with the total of money made on the film?

Yeah (tho not an expert). But what often gets blurry is the money made from the home market. A total theater bomb can be a success re home view sales. Plus factor in any and all licensing. So media crowing about "bombs" and "hits" financially don't talk about all that, 'coz it's boring. U have to dig a few years after to see how a film REALLY did, re the studio investment.

Back