Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is that vault boy guy? That dude use to put up those conspiracy vids of TLJ man it use to be so funny.

I remember we had some real paranoid lunatics in TLJ thread who swore the movie was a political war on men type movie.

All I saw was a bad movie but I can?t believe people saw it that way. Man that thread was hilarious

Why is it that a man with a bucket on his head has turned in better emotional performances and has had way more depth to him in 4 little episodes of a TV show than any clown in the sequel trilogy to date?

Yeah, to me it was somewhere about 1992 when it started to gained steam majorly. Most say it was the Thrawn trilogy books (starting in 1991) that reignited SW, but I really had no interest in those and many I knew didn't either. I think those books were part of the re-ignition, not a primary cause of it.

It was a recognition that - after nearly a decade had passed - something enduring and timeless had occurred with the OT, beyond groundbreaking blockbusters that had generated tons of merchandise.

But... I assume at the time you were a kid, Westerns were fast becoming extinct (regardless of who was in them.) So how does that connect to SW? And the choice of John Wayne wouldn't happen to connect to the recent accusations of racist comments he made would it? You know, because SW fans were a bunch of racists because they thought Rose was a terrible character.:monkey3

You get kinda paranoid because a lot of this stuff is so carefully calculated and so infused with laughable lies, yet is accepted earnestly and without any question.

It's an interesting idea - that studios have embraced the woke thing mostly because they quickly realized that adding some woke elements made their products immune to criticism, or even negative reaction. "Dislike our movie and you're an intolerant bigot." It's brilliant.:rotfl

Criticism or negativity was/is a constant major threat to studio product, to a point where in the 1990s they would literally make up (or pay for) positive critic reviews to massage a positive reaction. Woke has given them the guarantee of positive reaction they want. And even the fans couldn't complain because they as a group would be called out.

Just like any film critic who didn't like it: "you didn't like it because you're pale, male and stale" - and surprise-surprise, reviews all turned glowing and critics got to "stay relevant".... and keep their jobs.

You actually made a good point with the special edition OT releases in the 90s. I completely forgot about those. I was in middle school at that time and I do remember those actually being popular. However, what I also remember was by the time I got to high school, those same kids who thought SW was cool in middle school and were talking about the OT re-releases, suddenly thought SW was for nerds by high school. :lol

Perhaps 20 years though was a bit too short of a time span, because SW was popular in the 90s. That’s when Kenner came out with its Power of the Force figure line and you saw those in stores everywhere. However, my main point was that I do think SW is the most trendy right now than it’s ever been. Perhaps it’s still seen as nerdy, but perhaps it’s also that being “nerdy” is the fad now. Now you see younger people dubbing themselves as geeks because they’re all into the MCU and SW films.

And good points about woke Hollywood. They do have being woke down to an art, and know how to fail proof their films and shift blame off of themselves for making crap films (remakes of or sequels to classics it seems like) and tell you that you as the audience are the ones who are the problem. Take Brie Larson’s comments for instance before Captain Marvel released. If it succeeds, then we can claim victory that we overcame all of those indignant white males and told them to stick it. If it bombs, then we can blame all of those sexist white males.

Gotta love their double standards though in their competition to out woke each other and see who can be the wokiest of the woke. When it comes to a minority portraying a traditionally white character, such as with The Little Mermaid, the standard is that it’s just a character being portrayed by an actress, so skin color doesn’t matter. But when it came to ScarJo portraying a transgender character, the standard then became that ScarJo can’t portray a transgender character, because she’s not transgender.

That?s Disney biggest mistake and ultimately their downfall. Let them saturate the movie market, then bottleneck consumers to Disney + with a price increase. Everyone?s happy. Seriously, took my four kids to see frozen 2 and the middle aged ladies sitting next to my kids were starting **** about my kids just fidgeting in their seats, they weren?t being loud, just moving around a lot you know watching a Disney movie... I was ****ing livid, I mean I only take my kids out on Disney movies and some lady had the nerve to Start **** only for me to shut her down by telling her that ****, woman you are complaining about kids on a Disney freaking movie and she left embarrassed with her friends. It?s a chore taking kids to movies...

Seriously there?s a lot more hype for the next episode of the man with a bucket on his head than episode 9, people just want to see this movie because they are curious just like me to see how it all plays out and that?s it, now you got JJ coming out by saying they never ever did any screenings and that everything on YouTube is fake, lololol damage control in full effect.

And toys r us is making a huge come back, I mean heck they opened two stores already in the US again, they played it smart, it was never about not selling toys, but having 46,000sqt of retail space with toys on shelves , diminishing their footprint makes sense, I just hope their exclusives line up don?t come back or we?re ****ed. Buying from hasbro pulse freaking sucks...

Why is it that a man with a bucket on his head has turned in better emotional performances and has had way more depth to him in 4 little episodes of a TV show than any clown in the sequel trilogy to date?

maxresdefault.jpg

[...]

Perhaps 20 years though was a bit too short of a time span, because SW was popular in the 90s. That?s when Kenner came out with its Power of the Force figure line and you saw those in stores everywhere. However, my main point was that I do think SW is the most trendy right now than it?s ever been. Perhaps it?s still seen as nerdy, but perhaps it?s also that being ?nerdy? is the fad now. Now you see younger people dubbing themselves as geeks because they?re all into the MCU and SW films. [...]

The internet tends to amplify things and start feedback loops. But it's also an echo chamber. Mainstream audiences all know what Star Wars is but a bunch of dudes discussing the finer points of the fictional universe they ain't. My girlfriend actually *likes* Star Wars but she's really not clear on timelines or lore. I have dude friends at the gym that love a Star Wars movie but they don't go home and think about it.

I only re-discovered my Star Wars fandom somewhere in 2011. I didn't think about it a lot in the interim. I got back into it when I started collecting. It practically didn't exist for me until the PT came out and then faded away to irrelevance again until the day I decided I needed a stormtrooper on my desk. :slap:rotfl

I think the fandom is bigger and more cohesive thanks to the internet, and that more women are into it than before (despite the best efforts of many male geeks to block and alienate them :lol) but I also think we over-estimate what general audiences give to this pop-cultural monster.

A movie ticket, a toy purchase maybe. We give it *our time* and there are days I raise my eyebrow at that. ;)

I distinctly remember a day in high school when someone randomly quoted Threepio and it kicked off a mini SW reanaissance. It was like we were all holding our breath without realizing it. This was early 90s so I definitely experienced a SW popularity dip around then. I can see how younger fans might have a much different idea of how saturated 80s culture was with SW.

My experience has been different - girls love Star Wars these days. Years ago I'd have agreed with you, but times they are a changin.

If you check gender polls for the Star Wars Movies over the years it has pretty much stayed in the 30%-40% range for female viewers...

With the inclusion of so many female heroes and female side characters and Kathleen Kennedy’s intention to bring more girls and women into the franchise one could have thought that the gender share for the Star Wars movies would reflect that trend. However, it doesn’t. Actually, the male gender share is rising ever so slightly with each new movie released.

Last edited:
Females that really understand SW, really appreciate all that SW has to offer, really love SW will find everything they need in ANH/ESB.

The ST is not required for a female to enjoy SW.

I?ll even give them ROTJ for the cute Ewoks lol

Speaking of which.....real spoiler not joking around you?ve been warned

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have no problem with strong female characters myself, they're more fun to look at. :lol

But I'll take an Ellen Ripley, Sarah Conner, Dana Scully, Leia Organa any day over Rey.

And who is this "Rose" that people keep talking about? I guess she wasn't even important enough for me to notice (good or bad) because I have no clue who the heck she is, unless she's from one of the Lego Star Wars (haven't seen those)?

Rose was a pilot just like her sister

f78411684b0b31bb978d80128b22c0df.jpg

This is what I love about being me.

I can fully (mostly) agree with all of the ST criticism YET still be excited for a new SW movie I won?t just write it off, I refuse to.

I have nothing to lose other than a night at the movies.

I sat thru AOTC 3 x I can sit thru anything lol

Females that really understand SW, really appreciate all that SW has to offer, really love SW will find everything they need in ANH/ESB.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

After TLJ this movie is going for all of the nostalgia it can. Everyone left alive or can be captured spiritually will be in this movie. I?ll be looking for that guy in cloud city who ran away with the ice cream maker. I bet even he?s in this somewhere. I bet there?s even Lobot, or at least a mention of him somewhere.

This is what I love about being me.

I can fully (mostly) agree with all of the ST criticism YET still be excited for a new SW movie I won?t just write it off, I refuse to.

I have nothing to lose other than a night at the movies.

I sat thru AOTC 3 x I can sit thru anything lol

My sentiments also.

I never go into a film hoping it’ll suck. I’ll go into one not having high expectations, but I always hope that pessimism will be subverted. At this point with TRoS, I have nothing to lose. I already expect it to be a dud, so if it’s a dud, then it’s as I expected. If it turns out to actually be pretty good, then it’s a pleasant surprise.

Spoiler Spoiler:

:lol If that's true than they really are just tossing every piece of **** they can find at the wall to see what'll stick.:rotfl

If that spoiler is true, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

JJ Filmmaking Lesson #8: when creativity is not an option, steal what others have created and call it "an homage".

Back