Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the characters, I never saw them as anything more than what they are.

Truth is, and the truth hurts, the OT characters are kinda flat also. People lile to talk about character development, but most of the main characters in OT had an arc with maybe a extended branch on the main arc.

I agree. The OT is not Shakespeare. But I had a more vested interest in what happens to them. Han had that whole subplot with Jabba that always held interest. Leia and Han's love story surprised everyone back in the day. And there was the possibility (however unlikely) that Luke would turn to the dark side, and if not, how the heck will he kill his own father.

In the ST, my only curiosity is what's up with Rey. What path will Disney ultimately take with her? Kylo I've known from the beginning. No one else has a subplot that has set-up any upcoming conflict.

It?s really quite simple if you?re a true Star Wars fan you?re gonna go see it first show opening night or at the very least opening weekend.

I am a true Star Wars fan.

I will not be seeing this movie on opening weekend, or ever, in the theater.

I'll watch it for free as soon as it hits the torrent sites. And I'll probably end up skipping a lot of the boring parts.

So, for those who are genuinely excited for this movie, what is it exactly that is grabbing you? What do you want to see/know/understand? Or are you just looking for some good space battles and action scenes?

For me, this trilogy is the Ben Solo/Kylo Ren trilogy. Any other subplots are little more than noise and filler. Everything revolves around him, and Rey is ultimately nothing more than the device to help redeem him and then preserve the Skywalker legacy thereafter. Seeing it play out (and conclude) is the best draw because good character drama is what's most compelling in real cinema (I'm not trying to mimic/channel Scorsese with that). Kylo has increasingly become the best-written and most-nuanced character in the ST. His inner conflict evokes what Anakin's PT character *should* have conveyed (but didn't, imo).

Watching the execution of Kylo's arc coming to an end is what I'll be going to see (though JJ wouldn't be my first choice to write it). Kylo's redemption being a foregone conclusion for most is no different than knowing Anakin's turn in the PT, or even presuming Vader's after ESB. And Ben Solo is the one connected to virtually every major character from the OT. Han and Leia's son; Luke's nephew and student; Anakin's grandson; Palpatine's last hope . . . it all comes down to this one last third-generation character to decide the ultimate legacy of the Skywalkers and their fight with/against Palpatine. Then he needs to die.

Rey is basically just a transition point between Skywalker bloodline and Skywalker legacy. Her relevance is more about the future than the present (which is why I think she'll eventually be brought back). But she wouldn't even matter at all right now if not for Ben/Kylo ("darkness rises, and light to meet it"). Everything she is has a direct connection to Kylo. Every major pivot for her (TFA's "Force vision" and end duel; TLJ's Luke/Ahch-To interactions and throne room drama) are all only possible because Ben Solo turned into Kylo Ren, and needs to be turned back.

The Skywalker Saga can't end until any and all possible descendants of Anakin cease to be. Ben is the last one (after Leia has officially passed in canon). No more Skywalkers for Palpatine to try to seduce. Game over. "Chosen One" lineage ended; prophecy finished; saga concluded. That's the finality I'm looking for. But what Ben/Kylo does before he dies, and maybe even immediately after, is what I'll be most intrigued to watch play out in TROS. Will it have some nobility and depth to it, or will it just be cheesy and forced?

I think we all know the closing shot will be Rey looking at the dual sunset on Tatooine. She's gonna usurp Luke completely

(possibly with those ghosts you mentioned too, lol)

I think she'll do him one better. She'll use the Force to pull a 3rd moon into orbit, that way the smiling force ghost faces of Luke, Leia and Han can be superimposed on them. Yes, she'll be so powerful the force will bend to her will and let a non-Jedi scoundrel like Han join the ranks of force ghosts!

Well put.

But Kylo could always have an unknown child somewhere for future "Skywalker" sagas to continue on.

Damn you! :lol

Now you've added one more story element I need from TROS: Kylo was castrated when he first turned as part of a Knights of Ren ritual. That could explain his exaggerated emotional swings. Let's go JJ; make it happen!

This comic cover for The Rise of Kylo Ren seems to suggest the Knights were a thing before Kylo:

STWRESKYLO2019002_covREV.jpg

Damn you! :lol

Now you've added one more story element I need from TROS: Kylo was castrated when he first turned as part of a Knights of Ren ritual. That could explain his exaggerated emotional swings. Let's go JJ; make it happen!

That?s it you did it you turned Wor-Gar into the ST # 1 fan lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rey should just have sex will Palpatine, giving the old man a heart attack.

Q7Y5KFW.gif
Major plot twist. Palps prepares to give her the Jedi Luke treatment and Daisy starts shedding clothes. Imagine the reaction of the audience...and the media afterwards:lol

:rotfl Be a nice white-trash grandpa reunion for sure.

"You want this, don't you?":horror

I like the characters, I never saw them as anything more than what they are.

Truth is, and the truth hurts, the OT characters are kinda flat also. People lile to talk about character development, but most of the main characters in OT had an arc with maybe a extended branch on the main arc.

They are flat (and corny), yet pretty much instantly ascended to beloved and iconic status and have remained deeply embedded there for 40 years.

The ST characters are just flat - it's interesting that not one of them has become beloved or iconic in any way, beyond some identity politics value that will fade (force is female etc.) And with the Disney marketing machine in overdrive every time, with its global reach/saturation capability and social media beating the drums, that's quite a non-achievement.

A Jawa will be more iconic and lasting than Rey.:horror

But Kylo could always have an unknown child somewhere for future "Skywalker" sagas to continue on.

The Rise... of Genderwalker. Who battles the patriarchcal colonialism that denies a devastating warming trend in the galaxy.

Back