Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

I don't think that Galen Erso ever pictured that the DS reactor could be destroyed from *outside* that battle station. That was all the genius of the Rebel Alliance and Luke's connection to the Force. Otherwise I would have expected Erso's hologram to have said "Tell the Rebellion that I've set a trap, simply shoot a proton torpedo down the exhaust port and you'll destroy the station" and they could have just skipped going to Scarif altogether.

I think that Erso set the trap in the reactor and then assumed it would have to be detonated from within via explosives. My guess is that he was planning on doing that himself as a suicide mission before being taken off the project and reassigned to Eadu. At that point he could only desperately try and get the word out to anyone who would listen that the trap existed and hope that they could find a schematic of the base itself that would allow them to infiltrate and sabotage.

Galen ended his hologram message with this:

"Saw, the reactor module, that's the key. That's the place I've laid my trap. It's well hidden and unstable, one blast to any part of it will destroy the entire station. You'll need the plans, the structural plans for the Death Star to find the reactor. I know there's a complete engineering archive in the data vault at the Citadel Tower on Scarif. Any pressurized explosion to the reactor module will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the entire station..."

He was addressing Saw Gerrera directly as the one who needed to coordinate the DS destruction effort. So, are you saying that Galen expected Saw to be able to infiltrate an Imperial battle station and blast the reactor from *within*? If that's the case, why couldn't Galen take a shuttle (or have Bodhi take him), under the guise of an emergency need to inspect something in person regarding the instability of the reactor - in order to destroy it from within without nearly as much suspicion (or nearly as many obstructions, hoops, and hurdles)?

You're saying that Galen would've seen it as a suicide mission if it had to be done from within. So he set up a "trap" that would require an inside job. But then he sent Bodhi . . . to recruit someone else with no access to getting inside the Death Star . . . to do a suicide run from within it? That makes no sense. Isn't the inference of the whole message that Saw would find the same lone vulnerable access point to the reactor that the Alliance recognized? Or are you saying that the Alliance was actually too stupid to recognize an easier method designed by Galen?

And on the flipside, having the vulnerability be deliberate also detracts from Luke's achievement in exploiting it.

Precisely.

On the surface, it seems Rogue One was written to explain that the DS was destroyed by way of a deliberate "trap" set by the designer. That was to change how we perceived it for 40 years as being a vulnerability discovered by the Alliance that would need a miracle (enter Luke Skywalker) to exploit it. Luke was behind that miracle shot for 40 years. Now, his shot was designed to be either very feasible, or (incoherently) near-impossible.

Yep, a one in a million shot is still a one in a million shot, and RO doesn't change the fact that the Rebels still had to figure out on their own that the quickest way to the reactor was via a torpedo down the exhaust port.

The fact that Luke's "one-in-a-million shot" was needed *by design* just adds a murkiness to the coherency of the whole ANH ending. Were the other pilots just horrible shots who couldn't hit what Galen would've thought to be feasible? Or, was Luke merely accomplishing what Galen had planned for, so it wasn't actually all that impressive of a shot?

What RO did to SW canon was establish that the only access point for destroying the reactor was the exhaust port so tiny that every other pilot missed it, at the end of a long trench with canons that would fire on any unauthorized ships, designed as such . . . on purpose! No one seems to have any problem justifying RO's existence, given that premise. Which is perfectly fine, and I'm glad that's the case. I just find it weird that there's so much objection to the existence of the sequels (especially TLJ, it seems) in terms of needing better justification than the prequel of RO has.

Beg to differ.

That is not lazy writing at all.

The whole point of the tiny exhaust port being the Death Star's vulnerable spot is to showcase the arrogance of the Empire and the ingenuity and courage of the Rebellion, not to mention serving as a way to show the audience how powerful the Force is. Also, there's the whole subtext of one man's will against tyranny, trusting your instincts and not letting technology overwhelm you, etc.

That is good writing.

Not anymore.

He was addressing Saw Gerrera directly as the one who needed to coordinate the DS destruction effort. So, are you saying that Galen expected Saw to be able to infiltrate an Imperial battle station and blast the reactor from *within*?

Well yes. In the same message he advised them to infiltrate Scarif base which was surrounded by an impenetrable shield so clearly he had faith that such tasks could be accomplished, lol.

Infiltrate the citadel vault on Scarif then infiltrate the Death Star. Both one in a million tasks and both likely to end in death/failure/suicide. But that's *always* what the attack on the DS has been going back to 1977 which is why Han Solo himself initially bailed.

What RO did to SW canon was establish that the only access point for destroying the reactor was the exhaust port so tiny that every other pilot missed it, at the end of a long trench with canons that would fire on any unauthorized ships, designed as such . . . on purpose!

How exactly did RO establish that the "only access point for destroying the reactor was the exhaust port?" RO doesn't in any way change the fact that the Rebels only had a few minutes to process the data provided by R2 to come up with a plan of attack before the DS showed up at Yavin. There could have been any number of "easier" methods to reach the reactor, but it still remains that the exhaust port was the one that they came up with on the spur of the moment and decided to run with.

If it was the only method for reaching the reactor and Galen Erso had intended that from the beginning then all he had to do was say so in the message to Saw. But he didn't say so so it's easy to assume that the exhaust port was either not what he intended or that it was far from the easiest method he had envisioned. I just figure that he was a scientist, not a battle tactician so he thought it would be best to design the flaw for himself to take out and when that opportunity no longer remained he turned over the intel to the real warriors so that they could decide the greatest plan of attack for themselves.

Well yes. In the same message he advised them to infiltrate Scarif base which was surrounded by an impenetrable shield so clearly he had faith that such tasks could be accomplished, lol.

Infiltrate the citadel vault on Scarif then infiltrate the Death Star. Both one in a million tasks and both likely to end in death/failure/suicide. But that's *always* what the attack on the DS has been going back to 1977 which is why Han Solo himself initially bailed.

How exactly did RO establish that the "only access point for destroying the reactor was the exhaust port?" RO doesn't in any way change the fact that the Rebels only had a few minutes to process the data provided by R2 to come up with a plan of attack before the DS showed up at Yavin. There could have been any number of "easier" methods to reach the reactor, but it still remains that the exhaust port was the one that they came up with on the spur of the moment and decided to run with.

If it was the only method for reaching the reactor and Galen Erso had intended that from the beginning then all he had to do was say so in the message to Saw. But he didn't say so so it's easy to assume that the exhaust port was either not what he intended or that it was far from the easiest method he had envisioned. I just figure that he was a scientist, not a battle tactician so he thought it would be best to design the flaw for himself to take out and when that opportunity no longer remained he turned over the intel to the real warriors so that they could decide the greatest plan of attack for themselves.

You mean to tell me that Galen designed an easier way to take out the planet-killing battle station, but decided to go to the trouble of sending Bodhi on a dangerous mutiny mission . . . to find Saw and send *him* on a potential suicide mission to Scarif . . . in order to analyze schematics . . . to find an alternate way to destroy the DS in yet another potential suicide mission?

All of that instead of using the hologram message to just explicitly state the easier way to blow it up? Especially given the urgency he was very aware of when he recorded the message?

He was addressing Saw Gerrera directly as the one who needed to coordinate the DS destruction effort. So, are you saying that Galen expected Saw to be able to infiltrate an Imperial battle station and blast the reactor from *within*? If that's the case, why couldn't Galen take a shuttle (or have Bodhi take him), under the guise of an emergency need to inspect something in person regarding the instability of the reactor - in order to destroy it from within without nearly as much suspicion (or nearly as many obstructions, hoops, and hurdles)?

You're saying that Galen would've seen it as a suicide mission if it had to be done from within. So he set up a "trap" that would require an inside job. But then he sent Bodhi . . . to recruit someone else with no access to getting inside the Death Star . . . to do a suicide run from within it? That makes no sense. Isn't the inference of the whole message that Saw would find the same lone vulnerable access point to the reactor that the Alliance recognized? Or are you saying that the Alliance was actually too stupid to recognize an easier method designed by Galen?

Precisely.

On the surface, it seems Rogue One was written to explain that the DS was destroyed by way of a deliberate "trap" set by the designer. That was to change how we perceived it for 40 years as being a vulnerability discovered by the Alliance that would need a miracle (enter Luke Skywalker) to exploit it. Luke was behind that miracle shot for 40 years. Now, his shot was designed to be either very feasible, or (incoherently) near-impossible.

The fact that Luke's "one-in-a-million shot" was needed *by design* just adds a murkiness to the coherency of the whole ANH ending. Were the other pilots just horrible shots who couldn't hit what Galen would've thought to be feasible? Or, was Luke merely accomplishing what Galen had planned for, so it wasn't actually all that impressive of a shot?

What RO did to SW canon was establish that the only access point for destroying the reactor was the exhaust port so tiny that every other pilot missed it, at the end of a long trench with canons that would fire on any unauthorized ships, designed as such . . . on purpose! No one seems to have any problem justifying RO's existence, given that premise. Which is perfectly fine, and I'm glad that's the case. I just find it weird that there's so much objection to the existence of the sequels (especially TLJ, it seems) in terms of needing better justification than the prequel of RO has.

Not anymore.

I fail to see the problem with the trench run.

Erso builds a flaw into the design of the Death Star, namely an unstable "reactor module" that can destroy the entire station with a single hit. He specifically tells Saw that he'll have to find the structural plans of the Death Star in order to plan an attack, and tells him where to find those plans. He doesn't say it's going to be easy, and it's not an obvious flaw that could be detected easily... after all, its megalomania notwithstanding, it seems the Empire wasn't completely stupid.

As for Erso's betrayal of the Empire diminishing the Rebellion's achievement or Luke's heroism, I don't see why.
The Rebellion paid dearly for those plans, and also paid dearly during the actual attack, losing almost its entire X and Y-Wing fleets. Luke still shows his heroism by being the one who can make the shot with a little help from Ben, Han and the Force.

And finally, the Empire is always shown to be betrayed by its hubris, as the Emperor himself is betrayed by his own arrogant blindness.

You mean to tell me that Galen designed an easier way to take out the planet-killing battle station, but decided to go to the trouble of sending Bodhi on a dangerous mutiny mission . . . to find Saw and send *him* on a potential suicide mission to Scarif . . . in order to analyze schematics . . . to find an alternate way to destroy the DS in yet another potential suicide mission?

All of that instead of using the hologram message to just explicitly state the easier way to blow it up? Especially given the urgency he was very aware of when he recorded the message?

Well I've answered that several times now. Once again my assumption was that Galen designed the flaw for himself to take out. That's the "easier plan." But to do that he needed to actually be on the Death Star. When they moved him unexpectedly to Eadu his opportunity was gone so he had to send the message. "But why didn't he leave Eadu himself?" Well given the fact that he dangerously passed the message to Bodhi instead of just flying back to the DS or to Jedha I'd say it's safe to assume it's because he couldn't leave. So he did the next best thing.

You seem to take issue with desperate times calling for desperate measures and that anything that is almost 100% guaranteed to fail is inherently "stupid." But if those are the only options or at the very least the only options the Rebels were aware of then it's either go on a suicide mission or just give up. Thankfully both George Lucas and Gareth Edwards decided it'd be way more exciting to have the heroes choose the former. :)

Besides, Galen's message was cut off anyway. For all we know if the message kept playing he would have said, "find the plans on Scarif, then look for such and such way of getting to the reactor," but the filmmakers cleverly cut the message off so any further lack of data could never be said to be Galen's fault (assuming he had any additional info to give.)

I fail to see the problem with the trench run.

There never was a problem, imo. I loved the fact that the Alliance had stolen the plans to the Death Star and found an exploitable weakness. They knew it would be a longshot, but it was better than any other alternative. And Luke's one-in-a-million shot was just that. He was the only pilot who could've done it. He used the Force to do it. His legacy of heroism and greatness was started with a bang. Literally.

What RO did was make Luke's shot a pre-planned tactic (by Galen Erso) that logic dictates wouldn't be as impossible as we were led to believe for 40 years.

Erso builds a flaw into the design of the Death Star, namely an unstable "reactor module" that can destroy the entire station with a single hit. He specifically tells Saw that he'll have to find the structural plans of the Death Star in order to plan an attack, and tells him where to find those plans. He doesn't say it's going to be easy, and it's not an obvious flaw that could be detected easily... after all, its megalomania notwithstanding, it seems the Empire wasn't completely stupid.

As for Erso's betrayal of the Empire diminishing the Rebellion's achievement or Luke's heroism, I don't see why.
The Rebellion paid dearly for those plans, and also paid dearly during the actual attack, losing almost its entire X and Y-Wing fleets. Luke still shows his heroism by being the one who can make the shot with a little help from Ben, Han and the Force.

And finally, the Empire is always shown to be betrayed by its hubris, as the Emperor himself is betrayed by his own arrogant blindness.

The Empire's hubris remains because they didn't think that Erso would betray them. But now, the Alliance didn't find a vulnerability in the DS because of mere arrogance on the part of the Empire (by assuming no one could exploit it). That vulnerability was deliberately designed into the actual structure of the battle station. And done so in a way that wouldn't self-destruct, or otherwise destroy it *unless* someone like Luke could hit it.

It was designed to be able to be hit, and presumably not by a Jedi (who no longer were around). My interpretation is that the tiny exhaust port was Galen's intended access point to blasting the reactor. Unless you choose to believe Khev's interpretation that he outlined above (and I'll be quoting below).

Well I've answered that several times now. Once again my assumption was that Galen designed the flaw for himself to take out. That's the "easier plan." But to do that he needed to actually be on the Death Star. When they moved him unexpectedly to Eadu his opportunity was gone so he had to send the message. "But why didn't he leave Eadu himself?" Well given the fact that he dangerously passed the message to Bodhi instead of just flying back to the DS or to Jedha I'd say it's safe to assume it's because he couldn't leave. So he did the next best thing.

You seem to take issue with desperate times calling for desperate measures and that anything that is almost 100% guaranteed to fail is inherently "stupid." But if those are the only options or at the very least the only options the Rebels were aware of then it's either go on a suicide mission or just give up. Thankfully both George Lucas and Gareth Edwards decided it'd be way more exciting to have the heroes choose the former. :)

Besides, Galen's message was cut off anyway. For all we know if the message kept playing he would have said, "find the plans on Scarif, then look for such and such way of getting to the reactor," but the filmmakers cleverly cut the message off so any further lack of data could never be said to be Galen's fault (assuming he had any additional info to give.)

Yes, the message being cut off does provide some wiggle room for your hypothetical extended plan of attack from Galen. I grant you that. But do you *honestly* believe that was the intent of the writers? Scout's honor, Khev. :)

EDIT: Just want to add this too: if the exhaust port was merely one of multiple ways that Galen would've made reaching the reactor possible (but the only one that the Alliance noticed), how stupid are the rest of the Imperial engineers working on the Death Star!? They didn't notice that Galen left multiple access points to an unstable reactor? You'd think that Krennic and/or Tarkin would be suspicious of Galen's loyalty and intentions, right? Why wasn't there someone noticing the multiple access routes to destroying the unstable reactor core?

I'm not pointing this out for any other reason than to back up my contention that the tiny exhaust port Luke fired into was the one and only vulnerable access point. I think that was the intent. Otherwise, you'd have to concede that some genuine buffoonery would be going on with the Imperial higher-ups.

tumblr_m5uhsauFLw1qedb29o1_500.gif

Yes, the message being cut off does provide some wiggle room for your hypothetical extended plan of attack from Galen. I grant you that. But do you *honestly* believe that was the intent of the writers? Scout's honor, Khev. :)

EDIT: Just want to add this too: if the exhaust port was merely one of multiple ways that Galen would've made reaching the reactor possible (but the only one that the Alliance noticed), how stupid are the rest of the Imperial engineers working on the Death Star!? They didn't notice that Galen left multiple access points to an unstable reactor? You'd think that Krennic and/or Tarkin would be suspicious of Galen's loyalty and intentions, right? Why wasn't there someone noticing the multiple access routes to destroying the unstable reactor core?

I'm not pointing this out for any other reason than to back up my contention that the tiny exhaust port Luke fired into was the one and only vulnerable access point. I think that was the intent. Otherwise, you'd have to concede that some genuine buffoonery would be going on with the Imperial higher-ups.

Honestly who knows how many other ways there might have been to the DS and frankly who cares. None of it is "stupid" if the only way that Galen could sabotage the entire station was via the reactor, his message advising the Rebellion of such was cut off, and the Rebels discovered the exhaust port minutes before the DS entered their system. I honestly don't see how anyone could possibly have a problem with such a flow of events.

*Any* misstep on the part of the good guys could easily be written off as them doing the best the could with the limited time and info that they had. And if the exhaust port really was Galen's intention (and let's say there were many exhaust ports with only one leading directly to the reactor hence him telling them to get the plans instead of just describing the port himself in the hologram) then maybe it wasn't originally going to require someone using the Force to hit it in Galen's mind.

Perhaps he assumed that the Alliance would launch all their capital ships against the DS and fire a barrage of torpedoes at the exhaust port in a full scale attack. Little did Galen know that they'd lose their prized warships at Scarif. Who knows. But again that's all operating under the assumption that that was Galen's intention all along. The film doesn't spell it out, there are multiple possibilities that are feasible, and the rest is movie history.

Much different than slowly driving away from a fleet of Star Destroyers (that inexplicably refuse to send wave after wave of fighters and bombers to blow them up) for six hours (wasn't that how much fuel they had???) and simply refusing to evacuate people on shuttles capable of lightspeed for literally no reason.

I'm sorry ajp, I know you want to tear down RO to justify TLJ's battle tactics, but they just aren't one and the same. ;)

I'm not saying that you or I can't enjoy TLJ in a mixed bag/ROTJ sort of way, but the battles don't just fall apart when you think long and hard about them, they often times hit you directly over the head with their stupidity. IMO of course. :)

People not following the blu-ray thread are going to have absolutely no idea as to why you posted this gif. :lol :rotfl

Last edited:

Much different than slowly driving away from a fleet of Star Destroyers (that inexplicably refuse to send wave after wave of fighters and bombers to blow them up) for six hours (wasn't that how much fuel they had???) and simply refusing to evacuate people on shuttles capable of lightspeed for literally no reason.

I'm sorry ajp, I know you want to tear down RO to justify TLJ's battle tactics, but they just aren't one and the same. ;)

I'm not saying that you or I can't enjoy TLJ in a mixed bag/ROTJ sort of way, but the battles don't just fall apart when you think long and hard about them, they often times hit you directly over the head with their stupidity. IMO of course. :)

What in the world does TLJ have to do with our discussion about how RO changes the ANH trench run!? Yeah, I get it: you don't care for TLJ. That's great. Still has nothing to do with what we were discussing, so I'm totally lost as to why you'd reply to my post about RO/ANH by bashing TLJ again. :dunno

Dude, I wasn't even criticizing RO as a film in any way whatsoever. This started because I responded (in an aside!) to a-dev's comment about how the 2-meter exhaust port scenario had now been explained, and made better, by RO (by way of being a designed thing). I disagreed, and gave my take on why.

To be clear, I think it's silly to suggest that the Alliance looked over the DS plans, spotted the reactor, and did anything other than work backwards from there to find the path of least resistance to it. Were they pressed for time? Yes. But did they present the information they found in a formal, organized, and fairly thorough enough way in ANH to make you think they analyzed the plans competently? I think so. You don't. Fine; that's a fair disagreement.

This discussion was nothing more (or so I thought) than nerding out about one element in a really good SW movie that changes the ending of ANH (or at least the context for it). Some may like the change, some may dislike the change, and most won't give a ****. Your take was that Galen planned to commit suicide, but then lost his opportunity and had to leave it to others to find another way to blow up the DS. Personally, I think that explanation has no basis whatsoever from what was presented to us on screen (or anywhere else), but it may indeed be correct. I can't say "you're wrong."

Now I know that RO is off limits here. That's fine with me. Especially since I wasn't criticizing the film itself, but simply delving into the implications of it. So, I guess I need to end this the way all the cool kids do: TLJ sucks!! What a piece of **** that "movie" was! Rian Johnson is a dumbass hack who can't write for ****!

I haven't given Star Wars much thought since Last Jedi. . .I kinda liked the movie, but never was compelled to show my daughter, who loved Force Awakens. And I could really care less about Episode 9 or the other spinoffs.

So, I guess Last Jedi did kill the franchise for me, as many speculated it would for the entire fanbase. Good work, Disney.

Also, I would rather watch Chairman of the Board than ever see Rogue One again.

What in the world does TLJ have to do with our discussion about how RO changes the ANH trench run!?

Because you yourself introduced the notion that there's a double standard with regard to RO and TLJ:

No one seems to have any problem justifying RO's existence, given that premise. Which is perfectly fine, and I'm glad that's the case. I just find it weird that there's so much objection to the existence of the sequels (especially TLJ, it seems) in terms of needing better justification than the prequel of RO has.

Whereas I don't believe that there is. Hence me stating that RO and TLJ are far from equal in the events that each film depicts.

Yeah, I get it: you don't care for TLJ. That's great. Still has nothing to do with what we were discussing, so I'm totally lost as to why you'd reply to my post about RO/ANH by bashing TLJ again. :dunno

Hmm, I'm not sure why you're getting upset here. You mentioned the perceived double standard with the two films and I countered that notion (tongue in cheek too.)

This discussion was nothing more (or so I thought) than nerding out about one element in a really good SW movie

And I think it still is...

Last edited:

There never was a problem, imo. I loved the fact that the Alliance had stolen the plans to the Death Star and found an exploitable weakness. They knew it would be a longshot, but it was better than any other alternative. And Luke's one-in-a-million shot was just that. He was the only pilot who could've done it. He used the Force to do it. His legacy of heroism and greatness was started with a bang. Literally.

What RO did was make Luke's shot a pre-planned tactic (by Galen Erso) that logic dictates wouldn't be as impossible as we were led to believe for 40 years.

The Empire's hubris remains because they didn't think that Erso would betray them. But now, the Alliance didn't find a vulnerability in the DS because of mere arrogance on the part of the Empire (by assuming no one could exploit it). That vulnerability was deliberately designed into the actual structure of the battle station. And done so in a way that wouldn't self-destruct, or otherwise destroy it *unless* someone like Luke could hit it.

It was designed to be able to be hit, and presumably not by a Jedi (who no longer were around). My interpretation is that the tiny exhaust port was Galen's intended access point to blasting the reactor. Unless you choose to believe Khev's interpretation that he outlined above (and I'll be quoting below).

I think it all boils down to you taking issue with how RO's events have an effect on the Rebel Alliance's and Luke's actions, whereas I (and I believe Khev as well) do not.
Fair enough. :duff

Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

So did Galen’s design flaw echoed into the DS2? How did the bothans acquired the information because honestly lando seems to fly directly into the reactor and destroy the power regulator?

The whole Plot is a mess, i mean right at the end of the ROTS, we see a young tarkin hanging out with vader and palpatine, then we are lead to believe it takes them close to 30 years to complete such monumental task because at the beginning of Rogue One, they are barely finishing up the weapons on it, and RO goes straight into ANH, but between Esb and ROTJ, the second death is built in a short ungodly amount of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did Galen’s design flaw echoed into the DS2? How did the bothans acquired the information because honestly lando seems to fly directly into the reactor and destroy the power regulator?

The whole Plot is a mess, i mean right at the end of the ROTS, we see a young tarkin hanging out with vader and palpatine, then we are lead to believe it takes them close to 30 years to complete such monumental task because at the beginning of Rogue One, they are barely finishing up the weapons on it, and RO goes straight into ANH, but between Esb and ROTJ, the second death is built in a short ungodly amount of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well perhaps it took that long to get all the kyber crystals they needed for the reactor.

However that raises the question of how they managed to have a fully operational DSII if it needed all that Kyber......

Maybe they had a reserve at that point....

And they had practice on building DS’s so the second one went quicker.

:)

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I’ve decided people hate TLJ for the same reason they hate BvS: To quote Deborah Snyder, people don’t like seeing their heroes deconstructed.

People don’t want a flawed Luke any more than they want a flawed Batman or Superman.

Back