Star Wars Black Vader vs Mafex Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Seems we have a choice to make. Well, some of us will just buy both, but the rest of us will have to choose one or the other.

What are the pros and cons? Well SWB seems to have consistent scale so far so the Vader should be appropriatly tall. And his head sculpt seems to resemble Sebsatian Shaw. Will certainly be cheaper than the Mafex.

Cons are the soft goods are still in prototype form and look sloppy. Also, we have yet to see a pic of his helmet on the figure. And the eye lenses look kinda reddish brown, unlike the glossly black of ROTJ. And one thing I hate? No wirey severed stump. And we don't know if the lightsaber hilt will clip on.

Mafex pros are a nice glossly helmet sculpt. Two part removable helmet (which I believe SWB has too.) Plastic inner robe and soft good outer robe look better than SWB cape seen so far. Helmet looks good on the body and has a nice gloss finish and proper eye lenses. Best part by far? Wirey severed stump!!

Cons? May not scale correctly. More expensive. Other Mafex figures have been fragile and limbs tend to pop off, a problem I've never encountered in SWB. Helmet sculpt seems ever so slightly "off." Don't know if hilt clips on belt. Joints seem more visible and obstrusive than SWB.

Gonna have to see more production photos to make final judgment. I live in Japan so Mafex may actually be a better financial decision.

For me though, that factor is the severered hand. I think if Hasbro had it, it would win, hands down....PUN INTENDED!

What do y'all think??

Yeah, both the masked and unmasked Mafex look pretty bad. Espcially unmasked. So that's another BIG "con" for Mafex.

Besides, the SWB is a "young" line but it's managed to maintain a consistency...may be better to just go with it.

But damn I want that wirey stumo for the big reveal moment! That's the best scene in the whole Star Wars saga and when Luke takes his helmet off, he's missing his hand. His toy needs to be missing it too!

Speaking for myself, since I'm in Japan, they're probably gonna cost about the same here...one domestic and one imported. But I'm not buying both...leaning towards Hasbro actually.

(Kinda reminds me back in like 1999/2000 when Marmit released their first 1/6th stuff, which while fragile, just made the Hasbro stuff look like happy meal toys. Not quite as extreme in this case, just reminds me is all.)

Agree on the Helmet on the Mafex one looking awful. To be honest, I don't really need a super articulated Vader. After all, Vader was somewhat limited in his movements, so I don't need him to do any splits or anything.

The mafex will be miles ahead in every category, but you will be paying for it to be.

Back