Media Star Wars BattleFront

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are FAR worse companies than EA. Sure it could use some more content, but the value depends on what you get out of it, if you can get a good amount of hours of gameplay out of it then it's probably worth the $60. And people usually demand more content in games than they actually will try to experience, so I don't blame them for restricting the amount of content in the game to be able to get it out with a high graphical quality and free of the network issues that they've had with other games like BF4.

The DLC I think they will have at least 2 packs with content from the new movie--the forest planet and the snow planet. So they can't really put that content out until after the movie releases anyway.

Im not calling EA the worst company just because i feel like battlefront needs more content and sound like a bitter gamer :lol.But i understand why they were named the worst two years in a row if this is how they do things.

4 Planets is a joke for the price when it doesn't even have any campaign.And the season pass will offer 16 maps(probably 4-5 planets) that cost almost as much as a game.
I allready knew all this beforehand though,which is why i waited for the black friday sale at 30%.

Yeah I am having a ball with it. It's Star Wars and looks amazing. I usually don't play multiplayer shooters.. I'm probably the type of player they were targeting. Being the newbie in a game like Halo is intimidating but anyone can jump into this and have fun and get a few kills. Sure the spawn system is terrible but at least it goes both ways. I've been killed countless times for re-spawning right in front of an enemy but I've also benefited by mowing down re-spawners. This has to be something that EA will fix in a future update. As far as content.. I think all Season Passes suck and I wish they would go away. Clearly they are not. But I knew about it before I bought the game and decided it would be fun with the content on the disc. I was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not calling EA the worst company just because i feel like battlefront needs more content and sound like a bitter gamer :lol.But i understand why they were named the worst two years in a row if this is how they do things.

4 Planets is a joke for the price when it doesn't even have any campaign.And the season pass will offer 16 maps(probably 4-5 planets) that cost almost as much as a game.
I allready knew all this beforehand though,which is why i waited for the black friday sale at 30%.

It would be nicer to have more locations, though the reason why is that they went to those locations and capturing references which is a lot of work. Also note that it's actually 5 planets since Jakku is free DLC.

STAR WARS
The name and visuals/sound...theme is ALL that this game is riding on...so far.

They don't care. It's not about quality, it's about buying as many tickets, toys and video games as you can. What does EA/Dice/whatever care? Star Wars is a brand with products to sell. They can pump out something and people will pay for it based on the name and a couple of minutes of that nostalgia feeling alone. AND?! :lol

Last edited:
I would buy almost any Star Wars game (I have Star Wars Kinect) but they did more than they needed to as far as the graphics are concerned, it's not like they did the absolute minimum to make money. They could have done the game more traditionally and it wouldn't have looked as good but it would have had more locations. Or they could have done some type of singleplayer story and then maybe the multiplayer would be buggy.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away... :)

Seems that way ;)

I would buy almost any Star Wars game (I have Star Wars Kinect) but they did more than they needed to as far as the graphics are concerned, it's not like they did the absolute minimum to make money. They could have done the game more traditionally and it wouldn't have looked as good but it would have had more locations. Or they could have done some type of singleplayer story and then maybe the multiplayer would be buggy.

We seem to be back at the argument that it's pretty so it doesn't matter how little there actually is to do, each to their own but I really don't understand this point of view at all. There are many games which impressed visually upon their release and offered plenty of gameplay also. The original Crysis was the prettiest game for years and was an awesome game to boot with a good campaign. Metroid Prime on the Gamecube is one of the best single player games I ever played and it was unbelievably pretty when it launched, Jet Force Gemini on the N64 is another example of that. I just don't buy the argument that good looks and deep gameplay elements are mutually exclusive is all. Nor do I buy your assumption that any more content would have left the multiplayer buggy as that is up to the devs to fix as it is with any game. I agree this game is really good looking, probably the best looking shooter at present, but how long does that matter before other elements that may be lacking start to override the pleasing visuals? I don't think the visuals effected the content much at all, that was simply a decision from the outset, whether it was to get the game out in a shorter time, or simply to maximise profits I can't say. But the result is the same or us either way. Again, I do hope EA and Dice continue to work on the game and add more depth to it as I am wanting a decent Star Wars game as much as the next guy, I really do...

Looks like the Jakku DLC will do little to make me want to buy the game, it's just a bit more of the same which was expected I guess. Here is a full game of the new mode (Turning point) however from somebody who has been very positive surrounding the game so far...

It really is just Tatooine. Been playing KOTOR 2. Be good if they made Dxun maps with old basilisks and republic ships from the mandalorian wars. Same with Korriban, fighting amongst the ancient tombs of the sith lords.

Be ace to have a mode where you dock onto a star destroyer, theres 20 of you with 1 respawn each against 20 imperials who have 4 respawns each. You have to capture certain areas as you go and each area you secure you gain respawns as another ship can dock.

Make your way to the hold where you fight a hero or villain to gain control of the ship.

I hope the rumors of a KOTOR remake are true, the recent patch for KOTOR 2 has to be a good sign, that kind of effort on a decade old game was unexpected, and nice to see. Hopefully it means something is going on with the series.

As for the Battlefront ideas you suggested, I agree. The real frustrating thing for me is that the possibilities were endless in the Star wars universe. When Free radical were developing Battlefront III (the cancelled version) They added seamless ground to space combat, this for me would have been a game changer and I really don't know why Dice/EA didn't pick up that idea and just go wild with it. Can you imagine being in an epic ground battle, fighting your way through ground forces to a hanger to steal a ship, then loading up a shuttle full of your mates with a few fighters for cover, flying up to a Star destroyer and then joining a battle on board that all in the same game, or even just attacking the enemy fighters in space. This was a real possibility 7-8 years ago and it could have been very special indeed. How we reverted to this I'm not sure. Maybe we'll see some real aspiration for the sequel, I really, truly hope so anyway.

We seem to be back at the argument that it's pretty so it doesn't matter how little there actually is to do, each to their own but I really don't understand this point of view at all. There are many games which impressed visually upon their release and offered plenty of gameplay also. The original Crysis was the prettiest game for years and was an awesome game to boot with a good campaign. Metroid Prime on the Gamecube is one of the best single player games I ever played and it was unbelievably pretty when it launched, Jet Force Gemini on the N64 is another example of that. I just don't buy the argument that good looks and deep gameplay elements are mutually exclusive is all. Nor do I buy your assumption that any more content would have left the multiplayer buggy as that is up to the devs to fix as it is with any game. I agree this game is really good looking, probably the best looking shooter at present, but how long does that matter before other elements that may be lacking start to override the pleasing visuals? I don't think the visuals effected the content much at all, that was simply a decision from the outset, whether it was to get the game out in a shorter time, or simply to maximise profits I can't say. But the result is the same or us either way. Again, I do hope EA and Dice continue to work on the game and add more depth to it as I am wanting a decent Star Wars game as much as the next guy, I really do...

Good graphics are valuable though, and while it certainly doesn't mean you can't have good graphics and good gameplay, it does take a certain amount of the budget. You can think of something like GTAV which is massive, looks great and has solid gameplay, but that also cost way way more and took like 5 years to make. This one they spent 2.5 years, starting from scratch pretty much. You have something like BF4 which was about 2 years development, and it ends up with a crappy single player campaign, and super buggy multiplayer. Here they made the choice for the graphics and reliability.

As for the Battlefront ideas you suggested, I agree. The real frustrating thing for me is that the possibilities were endless in the Star wars universe. When Free radical were developing Battlefront III (the cancelled version) They added seamless ground to space combat, this for me would have been a game changer and I really don't know why Dice/EA didn't pick up that idea and just go wild with it. Can you imagine being in an epic ground battle, fighting your way through ground forces to a hanger to steal a ship, then loading up a shuttle full of your mates with a few fighters for cover, flying up to a Star destroyer and then joining a battle on board that all in the same game, or even just attacking the enemy fighters in space. This was a real possibility 7-8 years ago and it could have been very special indeed. How we reverted to this I'm not sure. Maybe we'll see some real aspiration for the sequel, I really, truly hope so anyway.

If you look at the leaked gameplay, it wasn't really that great, from my guess the maps in Battlefront are actually bigger than the maps that they were working on in Battlefront 3 where you could fly to space. That's because it's really damn far to get to space, miles away.

Hey does anyone know how to get into a Walker Assault or Supremacy match on Jakku? I downloaded the DLC yesterday, and of course played the new "Turning Point" game mode on Jakku that's featured front and center, but for the life of me could not get a Jakku map to show up in any of the other game modes no matter how many times I entered and exited game modes.

If you're on PS4 you highlight the mode and then press Square to select the map. I tried to do Fighter Squadron on the new map but no one was playing. Though it was 4am

If you're on PS4 you highlight the mode and then press Square to select the map. I tried to do Fighter Squadron on the new map but no one was playing. Though it was 4am
D'oh! Hadn't realized there was a way to select a map - I thought you just had to go with whatever hand you were dealt. Thanks a ton!

Good graphics are valuable though, and while it certainly doesn't mean you can't have good graphics and good gameplay, it does take a certain amount of the budget. You can think of something like GTAV which is massive, looks great and has solid gameplay, but that also cost way way more and took like 5 years to make. This one they spent 2.5 years, starting from scratch pretty much. You have something like BF4 which was about 2 years development, and it ends up with a crappy single player campaign, and super buggy multiplayer. Here they made the choice for the graphics and reliability.

I agree good graphics are valuable, and desirable of course, all I'm saying is that high end visuals are not mutually exclusive to deep and engaging gameplay or even content. Saying they didn't have as much time is no excuse, they should have given Dice more time, this is EA, they have more money than God (Freddie Mercury) If anybody has the resources like Rockstar, it is them. BF4 did have a crappy campaign, it was dire in fact as was BF3, but again, that is no excuse not to kick Dice up the backside and hire better writers etc to improve on that (especially given the rich universe this game takes place in) cutting it completely was just weak. And yes, BF4 was a buggy mess on release, but again, that is down to EA forcing it out to soon, I believe Dice said so much in so many words back in the day. Fortunately, it became a brilliant game eventually, it took a year or so mind. It is EA's business practices that are resulting in Half baked games like this, not budget or any kind of genuine necessity to concentrate on one aspect. They could have done it all had they wished to do so... But then how would they sell a new version every year if they did that.

If you look at the leaked gameplay, it wasn't really that great, from my guess the maps in Battlefront are actually bigger than the maps that they were working on in Battlefront 3 where you could fly to space. That's because it's really damn far to get to space, miles away.

It was very early pre-alpha footage, it looked pretty good for that, and Free Radical were saying great things about it at the time, I tend to believe them also as they were behind one of my favorite ever games (Timesplitters 2) We didn't really see enough to judge the maps etc and they probably weren't finished anyway. As keen space enthusiast and a DCS World player, I'm very aware of how long it takes to get up to the edge of space, or at least 50.000ft+ which is the limit of the F-15c. True space is about 60 miles up but the starships in this game would have few of the limitations and could pretty much go noes up while accelerating all the way through which wouldn't take long at all, it would be fun as heck and there could be dog fighting all the way up. If they could do it a decade ago, we should be able to do it today surely.. It just seems they very much went backwards with regards to every aspect of the game aside from the visuals. All I'm suggesting is a few new ideas, EA played it way to safe and the very mixed feedback is the result.

You can look at what they had developed on Youtube right now, to do something on the scale of what the new game has would be a much bigger challenge, since the space they have already for the dogfight maps is much bigger than what they had in Battlefront 3. Having it look like you're going to space from those maps would be much more technical of an issue since they couldn't do what Free Radical did and simply scale things down.

I hope the rumors of a KOTOR remake are true, the recent patch for KOTOR 2 has to be a good sign, that kind of effort on a decade old game was unexpected, and nice to see. Hopefully it means something is going on with the series.

What the heck was patched on a game that is that old? You are talking about the BioWare game right?

Just read the release on it, it's a steam patch, if this was an xbox 360 patch I'd differently hook my 360 back up and and replay this game.

Last edited:
You can look at what they had developed on Youtube right now, to do something on the scale of what the new game has would be a much bigger challenge, since the space they have already for the dogfight maps is much bigger than what they had in Battlefront 3. Having it look like you're going to space from those maps would be much more technical of an issue since they couldn't do what Free Radical did and simply scale things down.

I agree completely it would be a challenge, I'm just saying I would have liked EA/Dice to take on such challenges, this game deserved to be done on a huge scale, more so than any other probably.

Back