1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious to any marvel collectors or visitors to the marvel forum, what do they think of sdcc? Are they happy, seems like a ton of figures and reveals. Seems like a major and minor character mix. Any thoughts?

Just curious to any marvel collectors or visitors to the marvel forum, what do they think of sdcc? Are they happy, seems like a ton of figures and reveals. Seems like a major and minor character mix. Any thoughts?
Well I'm excited about the Professor Hulk figure. Big chance that will make it into my collection. And that's about it I guess. Maybe the Mantis figure, but that would more likely be to complete the Guardians than truly liking the figure (or the character for that matter). And with the pricepoints these things have at the moment I'm willing to say Mantis is a pass. Yon Rogg was a nice surprise and I didn't see that coming, but again. Probably a pass. Not really a memorable character for me.

A big difference between Marvel and Star Wars is that we've had pretty much every major Marvel character in figure form in the last few years. Often even multiples. Right now I'm looking at a pretty much complete Avengers and Guardians shelf including some major villains. So I pretty much own the characters I love already.

When looking at Star Wars, HT is just beginning to make PT figures and there are some major players to be made from the OT as well. Bespin Han, Lando, ROTJ Vader, Scout Trooper (+ speederbike) and so on. So for none of those to be present must seem like a big dissapointment. I for one would have loved to have seen a Scout Trooper from HT. Definitely waiting for that.

As for Marvel; We have had the major players, so there is less of a surprise factor to be shown at a con like SDCC. Most are just new versions of still excisting figures. Like Quantum Suit Cap or the Iron Patriot. Which were pretty much expected for instance. I'd be more surprised if they hadn't been there.

I am dissapointed we didn't get a Mysterio though. I would've really loved that.

I would like another shot at another Han and Chewie. The first ones did not do it for me. I'd prefer an Endor Han. And of course I'd like anything else of Luke from ESB.

I am surprised by the lackluster showing. Definitely telling on ht thoughts on sw. If wicket is the best they have, we are in trouble. They probably have to do at least 7 figures from tros that they know the majority of ht buyers aren’t interested in. There’s that. Maybe better reveals will be after the movie promotional cycle dies down. They also probably took a major beating on the tfa figures that sideshow can’t give away.
Honestly, the prototypes shown aren’t ht quality. Padme looks like a Barbie and the sideways luke eyes ruin the figure. How can he have a lightsaber pose with those eyes?
Even the jawas look average. Plus, we all know r5, kit, and the imperial droid are about a 10% chance of being made. It’s been a year and jango hasn’t even gone up, and he will sell. This sdcc was let’s roll out a ton of marvel and let the people know sw is in the back burner. I wince at the thought of another Rey and Kylo and Finn clogging up the pipeline. That’s the reality. Sdcc sw was week because they have been working on sequel figures.

You can clearly see that Hot Toys loves Marvel.

Still, the only figure I'll get is BD MK 85.

I am surprised by the lackluster showing. Definitely telling on ht thoughts on sw. If wicket is the best they have, we are in trouble. They probably have to do at least 7 figures from tros that they know the majority of ht buyers aren’t interested in. There’s that. Maybe better reveals will be after the movie promotional cycle dies down. They also probably took a major beating on the tfa figures that sideshow can’t give away.
Honestly, the prototypes shown aren’t ht quality. Padme looks like a Barbie and the sideways luke eyes ruin the figure. How can he have a lightsaber pose with those eyes?
Even the jawas look average. Plus, we all know r5, kit, and the imperial droid are about a 10% chance of being made. It’s been a year and jango hasn’t even gone up, and he will sell. This sdcc was let’s roll out a ton of marvel and let the people know sw is in the back burner. I wince at the thought of another Rey and Kylo and Finn clogging up the pipeline. That’s the reality. Sdcc sw was week because they have been working on sequel figures.

:slap

My honestly guess is that their Star Wars showing was a bit anemic due to having to hold back (for one reason or another) all of the Rise of Skywalker figures they have coming.

Most likely Disney/Lucasfilm has an embargo on showing any of that stuff until closer to the release of the film, but you have to image they will have at least 4-5 figures ready to go up for pre-order this winter.

Most likely Disney/Lucasfilm has an embargo on showing any of that stuff until closer to the release of the film, but you have to image they will have at least 4-5 figures ready to go up for pre-order this winter.

I think they will definitely release the Sith Trooper (regular and deluxe versions), Rey, and Kylo Ren before TROS premieres. They might release Finn and Poe as well, but I'm doubtful. HT will probably wait until they know if the movie is a success.

My honestly guess is that their Star Wars showing was a bit anemic due to having to hold back (for one reason or another) all of the Rise of Skywalker figures they have coming.

I agree with this. Figured they'd show a little more from TROS.

But I'm still surprised nothing else has surfaced. Maybe waiting for Friday crowds for the weekend? Not sure why they'd wait but.... forever hopeful.

Me a couple of days ago
7c8a28f01b9fe0a41b12b781ca6728f3.gif

Me today
6659b6d16705dfb48449ada29deed8e9.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm going to put more work and money into my kitbashed Bespin Han I think. If they would have shown Bespin Han, Lando, and Wicket I would have been happy.

If Wicket doesn't get a preorder soon SDCC was a complete and total bust.

Both Qui-Gon and Krennic dropped in the last year and neither of those were shown at SDCC. In fact, Qui-Gon was teased within a few days of SDCC 2018 in the Maul proto pics. Han has already been teased so it's not like we don't know he's coming at some point. Maybe they just like to keep some things as a surprise. Relax people.

I'm going to put more work and money into my kitbashed Bespin Han I think. If they would have shown Bespin Han, Lando, and Wicket I would have been happy.

If Wicket doesn't get a preorder soon SDCC was a complete and total bust.

The lack of Bespin Han at this SDCC is one of the bigger SW 1/6 mysteries in years. It's been consistently rumored for a long time, then they show a new Han Besp outfit in the Leia Bespin promo pics - like why would they create an outfit just for promo pics? - and then nothing.

And they go to that trouble to make that outfit because they needed a Han to go alongside the Leia inferring it's a "matched set" for display and then they'd release the Leia without Han even as a preview, let alone a PO or shipping soon?

It's funny because the Leia Bespin outfit is not a great standalone display choice - it really needs a Han Bespin alongside to "complete" it because she only wears it for two scenes, both close to Han.

I agree with this. Figured they'd show a little more from TROS.

But I'm still surprised nothing else has surfaced. Maybe waiting for Friday crowds for the weekend? Not sure why they'd wait but.... forever hopeful.

Same here. I'm trying to remember if the TLJ figures were first shown at SDCC or NYCC in 2017? Would make sense if they saved them for NYCC in October.

I do also think the lack of Star Wars figs is due to Marvel being overall way bigger internationally. Hell, even within Marvel, the amount of Iron Man figures they make is basically pleasing the China/Asia crowd as is.

I think we have to keep in mind that a bunch of the SW figures that HT is going to produce over the next year or two they are not able to show just yet as they will be for the next movie. Last year we didn’t have a movie coming.
We did not see enough OT this year, but we know that ESB Han, Lando and C3PO are in the making as they were already teased. So I guess we will have a lot of figures to look forward to and SW is still alive. So don’t cry my fellow collectors.

Don't forgot TLJ figures did not sell in general very well, and Hasbro blamed early releases for that failure (I think its because the TLJ was terrible, but what CEO is going to admit that.) I have to image TLJ did not sell that well for hot toys (which might be why we are seeing an influx of older trilogy figures.)

There could be reveal restrictions too by disney.

For me personally, I am somewhat out of Star Wars figures. I got my small collection, but given how broken this current trilogy is, I no longer need to see more star wars figures. I have key ones from past trilogies I really want (maybe add a few more over time.) Too bad, I think the new trilogy had potential, but its over.

I think we have to keep in mind that a bunch of the SW figures that HT is going to produce over the next year or two they are not able to show just yet as they will be for the next movie. Last year we didn’t have a movie coming.
We did not see enough OT this year, but we know that ESB Han, Lando and C3PO are in the making as they were already teased. So I guess we will have a lot of figures to look forward to and SW is still alive. So don’t cry my fellow collectors.

Are you suggesting that we didn't get a Han Bespin because they have another ducktrooper, a Maz figure, a Poe-dressed-as-Rick-O'Connell figure and a death-of-Rose figure waiting in the wings?:gah::rotfl

Back