1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a golden age when Star Wars merchandise seemed endless. Then came the dark times - 1986-1995.

Since 1995 it's seemed inconceivable that the constant flow of merchandise would ever stop. Star Wars was here to stay.

But maybe winter is coming again...

Blame Disney and Hasbro. It started to slow down and suck as soon as they bought it. ST hasn’t helped with toy sales either.

A license will cost what it’s worth [emoji2368] that’s why they renew it every year. So if it’s not worth a damn thing as you so boldly claim, then it’s up for grabs [emoji2357]

I'm indifferent on Disney Star Wars, they are certainly NOT for me, but I have friends who like them and that's fine by me, more power to you if you are enjoying new star wars. I just dont think I am the target audience and I'm more than happy just to enjoy the first 6 films, more so the OT, which is where my passion lies.

Someone above referred to judging the health of Star Wars by sales of plastic figures. I am certainly not just relying on the performance of Hasbro on the high street when talking about the apparent decline (from my observation, only my opinion) in the franchise, and I would suggest Last Jedi was an instigator for that, though some seeds of disappointment were likely sowed with Han's demise.

So, Last Jedi makes a significant amount of money on its opening, but then experiences a big drop off rate, bigger than any previous Star Wars film. Sequel trilogy Hot Toys seem to drop in value (OT figures appreciated.....ST figures dropped), Hasbro makes a loss on the line for the first time (as per their financial statements), lots of ranting online precedes what is arguably the biggest box office bomb in movie history (Solo), this followed by an underperformance (to expectations and prior films) in sales of both film on blu ray (not sure what the streaming figures were), other star wars film projects in the works are subsequently cancelled, galaxy's edge theme park has opened to reportedly low footfall (recent reports)......hard to find any star wars merchandise anywhere.

I have no axe to grind, I have no frustrations to vent against the fans of new star wars, my point would be that all evidence appears to point towards a decline in interest in star wars......though maybe there are some good news stories that I am missing? I really hope that there are. Maybe streaming has been massive?
Either way, I think Episode 9 will either prove or disprove all of this......December will be really interesting.

Maybe it's also just something simple as...Marvel?

Maybe so, it's the dominant force in films now for sure. But would Marvel films pull away the 40-50 year old hardcore fanbase from supporting the franchise that they have always supported? Why didn't they all go and see Solo? Or go back for repeat viewings of last jedi (as is well documented for the other star wars films)?

Those factors suggest that those people, at least a lot of them, must be disenfranchised doesn't it? They certainly bought everything up to 2017 and helped support Force Awakens and Rogue One to success against a background of Marvel films.

I'm doubtful that huge swathes of star wars fans suddenly decided "well, I've loved star wars since 1977.....but think I will now switch to Captain Marvel". My brother is both a Star Wars lifelong fan since 1977 AND a huge Marvel nerd......he manages to balance them up just fine.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the subject, please dont let me further distract from the sdcc discussion

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the interest for SW has declined and that TLJ got a lot of flak. And that’s a shame. But from my point of view, what TLJ did was needed to keep my attention. I didn’t need any more nostalgia and Death Stars blowing up. Or an all powerful Luke for that matter. I wanted depth and gray zones and I think we got that. I personally think that at this point it wasn’t possible to please everybody and some would get hurt and lost in the process no matter what.
You can hang me out to dry for my opinion, but that’s just how I feel, and I’m not alone in that.
The age of the superheroes is upon us and there’s no natural law for SW being the biggest franchise in the world.
And maybe the franchise is just not suitable for new movies every year? Marvel for instance has so many parallel stories to tell and SW is one continuous story. The franchise gets exhausted.

Nobody should hang you out to dry for your opinion sir! It's your opinion. All are equally valid.

I think Marvel has done an exceptional job of pulling in new fans as well as pleasing its existing fanbase. I guess my musings are, though star wars is not as successfully attracting new fans, it also seems from the evidence available that it is hemorrhaging existing ones. Maybe it's new star wars fault, maybe its boredom, maybe its apathy, I'm unsure, but I don't see it being the allure of super heroes.

If anyone has any requests of a certain figure, statue or a shot from a different angle lemme know. I'll be in SD all weekend. I'll do my best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Odds are, they can't show anything yet. There's been zero Mandalorian stuff anywhere so far, I'm imagining they probably aren't ready to show things off from the series at this point.

There hasn't even been an official trailer yet, so unlikely we'd see anything until after that. Maybe they'll show him to coincide with the trailer at D23 next month.

If anyone has any requests of a certain figure, statue or a shot from a different angle lemme know. I'll be in SD all weekend. I'll do my best.

More shots at the Clones and Fisto please.

Please, take some photos of the new clone and battle droid. We’re lacking photos of them, the only one we have of the clone is from Sideshow’s preview(it’s shown in the foreground of some other pics though). Much appreciated :clap

Some more of Bespin Luke's clothing would be nice. Thank you!

Maybe so, it's the dominant force in films now for sure. But would Marvel films pull away the 40-50 year old hardcore fanbase from supporting the franchise that they have always supported? Why didn't they all go and see Solo? Or go back for repeat viewings of last jedi (as is well documented for the other star wars films)?

Those factors suggest that those people, at least a lot of them, must be disenfranchised doesn't it? They certainly bought everything up to 2017 and helped support Force Awakens and Rogue One to success against a background of Marvel films.

I'm doubtful that huge swathes of star wars fans suddenly decided "well, I've loved star wars since 1977.....but think I will now switch to Captain Marvel". My brother is both a Star Wars lifelong fan since 1977 AND a huge Marvel nerd......he manages to balance them up just fine.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the subject, please dont let me further distract from the sdcc discussion

The biggest factor in the success of the MCU and the failure of the Disney ST is that Disney tried to reset Star Wars with no solid story in place or character development planned. In any art form a lack of planning shows.

Marvel has brought to the screen characters with multiple years of back story and already established arcs. They have just combined all of the best parts of the rich heritage and made fantastic films from it. This in turn has attracted both the existing fans and whole new generations.

Star Wars has done the complete opposite. It has alienated the hardcore fans by ruining the much loved characters, redesigned the Empire into the weak and unestablished First Order. Doesn't know whether it's a Resistance or Rebelion (against what?). Godspeed?!?

Disney had a lot of already created material to try and work from. But they tried to reset the whole thing and it simply has not worked.
The fact that the new Park is catered towards the ST is crazy too. We need the Empire era!!!

I liken it to taking old masterpieces by Van Gogh or Rembrandt and doodling Cartoon Network characters on it.

I agree with the MCU comparison above.

Had they planned their sequel trilogy very carefully ahead of time, with deep respect for the source material and characters, particularly in regards to what they accomplished and the sacrifices they made, they may have done better.

If they were just going to re-tread everything to be 'safe', they should have stuck to interstitial stories set within the Galactic Civil War era like Rogue One or even Solo, which was an underrated film.

I'm of the opinion that in terms of a sweeping saga, ROTJ was a definitive ending. Everything after being mop-up operations without the same dramatic stakes. I know a swarm of EU fans will disagree with me, but I was never a fan of that stuff either.

Odds are, they can't show anything yet. There's been zero Mandalorian stuff anywhere so far, I'm imagining they probably aren't ready to show things off from the series at this point.

The Hasbro panel is today and I assume that's where all the Mandalorian reveals will be today since Triple Force Friday is under 3 months away.

As far as a Hot Toys Mandalorian figure goes, I fully expect its reveal to be around the holidays. It's Disney+'s flag ship show so it's not a matter of if, but when he gets made.

Lost in all of the disappointment of sdcc for sw collectors, is that the qui gon figure looks pretty great. I hope the production version looks like that.

Yes, it is obvious they are making up the ST as they go along, and it is not working too well. However, I think if the movies start being good again, people will be interested again.

I am mainly collecting ESB figs (although I only have Leia so far, with Yoda and Vader on order), so I want Han and Lando and Luke 2.0 if he is released. I also want to get more PT stuff (waiting for Maul and Qui-Gon).

However, I am sure it will come eventually!

I reeeeally have to hold back not to comment on all the bitterness regarding TLJ - but this isn’t really the thread for it. So why not visit the TLJ thread? Most of you will be most welcomed by 80% of people there... (I’ll be there too to annoy you.)

Back