1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. If you think that the cumulative affect of MCU, DCU, SW - mega branded franchises that comprise the majority of studio tentpole releases annually these days - aren't supplanting original films of the same type (that could have been those same tentpole releases) you're not facing reality.

I do see that, but more as a symptom of how conservative major studios are and have been for a long time.

Original major summer films used to be in the majority, now they are small and shrinking minority. So yes, an entire generation has missed out on (at least some of) their original movies like previous generations' Gremlins, Star Wars, Raiders, Ghostbusters, Terminator etc etc For every Avatar, they have gotten reboots of Ghostbusters, Judge Dredd, Robocop, Total Recall, etc etc etc.

This is what I was referring to. From what I remember, major studios seemed to have gone reboot/remake crazy for years before the Disney juggernaut gained momentum.

Big money has a flattening effect. Churn out product that makes formulaic compromises for the lowest common denominator. It's like fast food.

And I assume this was because of the success of the progenitors -- Star Wars, Raiders, Ghostbusters etc. which are of a different era.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it wasn't Disney it'd be something else bland and mass-produced. Although it'd be unfair to call the MCU 'bland' across the board.

The reboot/remake trend started in the 90's -- with all those TV shows: Beverly Hillbillies, My Favorite Marian, Flintstones, Little Rascals, Brady Bunch, Dennis the Menace, on and on and on... not to mention sequel-itis. Even Star Wars made its grand comeback in the 90's.

IPs are now the thing. In the 70's, the idea of a fresh space adventure fantasy seemed like a good idea... now, Lucas would have gotten his dream and Disney would have bought the rights to Flash Gordon, no way they'd go with someone's original unproven idea. The bean-counters wouldn't know how to quantify its budget.

Last edited:
Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy's desecration of the OT and loved characters has had consequences. It will be hard to undo because bringing back Mark, Harrison, and Carrie was a one chance opportunity.
It's very unfortunate that Kennedy wasn't fired and replaced by someone competent to steer the franchise.

I tried to love the ST but more and more this sentiment has crept into my mind. They had EVERY opportunity to reunite the gang one last time and they managed to limit it to an awkward Han and Leia hug and an astral Luke saying hi to Leia. The Force Awakens was “OK” but could’ve been epic if it would’ve been Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie going to rescue Rey. Heck, they even relegated R2 to a sulking non factor. Gah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor r2, even he got the shaft.

MAybe the end of tros will be that ithr sequel trilogy was all a Dream r2 had while he waited for luke to return from the bathroom at the Ewok village.

Roll credits

Churn out product that makes formulaic compromises for the lowest common denominator.

Hollywood is full of creatively bankrupt and inept executives who think they have talent, but are actually egomaniacal morons who can't even spell at a grade 3 level and are barely qualified to mop a bathroom at a McDonalds (just read the hacked Sony e-mails and you will be horrified by their juvenile behavior).

It should be no surprise that most of the movies studios churn out suck; it's actually a shock when they make something good.

With four Marvel releases in one day, hopefully we'll see at least a couple of these go up for pre-order by the end of the week.

One day!!! Star Wars hasn’t had 4 releases in the past 4 months.

Then Marvel fans have the audacity to moan, all over social media, that Hot Toys is unfair to them because they didn't get Fat Thor haha. They really don't know how lucky they are. Then again it must cost a King's ransom to keep up with all their releases.

Then Marvel fans have the audacity to moan, all over social media, that Hot Toys is unfair to them because they didn't get Fat Thor haha. They really don't know how lucky they are. Then again it must cost a King's ransom to keep up with all their releases.

For real. :rotfl

HT can keep releasing all the Kit Fisto's and Sith Troopers they want, just means more money kept in pocket.

I joke now but just wait until the end of the year when they'll be back with all kinds of **** to interest SW fans again.

The 1:4 has a Deluxe and regular version, so technically 5. Honestly, if this release schedule was Star Wars I would be annoyed. How can marvel collectors keep up? I’d be divorced and broke.

I think us Star Wars fans are entirely innocent either:
"Where's Baze? Where's Cassian? Where's Lando? Where's Bespin Han? :impatient:"

Soon we'll get another Force Friday with a couple releases at once, and then it'll be even again. It's just that at the moment the Marvel hype is real, what with Endgame and Far From Home and the new movie announcements and all, so Hot Toys are cashing in on that.

I didnt see any new releases from Hot Toys ever in Force Friday even since I was here in 2017, nor in any kind of "celebration or anniversary".

For real. :rotfl

HT can keep releasing all the Kit Fisto's and Sith Troopers they want, just means more money kept in pocket.

I joke now but just wait until the end of the year when they'll be back with all kinds of **** to interest SW fans again.

Will likely just be sequel trilogy garbage though I am afraid.

Will likely just be sequel trilogy garbage though I am afraid.

I'm actually fine with them releasing the sequel stuff but whether I'll be interested in them depends on the movie. I'm sure we'll get OT and PT stuff sprinkled in between to keep us on our toes.

Also I wouldn't say I'm partial to either side of the debate concerning the ST but I do hope get a figure that represents the new trilogy in my collection (I sold off my TFA Kylo a while ago). That is if HT make a decent Rey/Daisy sculpt one of these days. The previous two have been shockers!

HT have no excuse for not putting Jango Fett, the Airborne Trooper, Battle Droids and Endor Leia/Wicket up for PO this week after putting out so many Marvel figures today. Sadly, the chances of that happening = zilch. All those figures look finished and ready to go. Clearly they need to still work on Padme, Bespin Luke and the Jawas. Dropping the Jawas and R5-D4 around the time of The Mandalorian would make sense.

BCDF24AC-9523-4C9E-815A-66A3287A24FC.jpeg

Star Wars is not big in Asia, we get it. To see SW lose to that big Venom Deadpool thing is a new level of low... They still got my money though with two releases.

Back