Star Puffs' Star Wars customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star Puffs

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be the first of many custom Star Wars figures I post over the year. My ambition is to do one per month, sort of in this order:

1. Klaatu
2. Royal Guard
3. Slave Leia
4. Cerimonial Leia
5. Weequay
6. Snaggletooth
+ More of enaud's aliens.

I also want to rework Hasbro's Zuckuss, Walrusman, Garindan, and the Death Star Droid. Then I have some ambition of doing a 3D-printed EV-9D9 and turning the GG 2-1B bust into a figure.

If you need help with your own custom, especially with clothing you see on one of my figures, please PM me.

So without further ado...

Klaatu was one of my favourite Kenner/Palitoy figures.

I did everything you see except for enaud's pieces (helmet, head, vibro-axe), the hands (HT Predator), and shoes (HT Braney Ross). Also thanks again to Spider Rogue for the SSC Luke blaster.

This ended up being a huge undertaking. The level of detail on this character is staggering. I opted not to do some things like the asymmetrical "X" on the right chest of his vest and the weird bunching effect on his shirt cloth, because honestly it would look 'off' to anyone who did not know the prop. I am still thinking about how to finalise his shoes, but honestly I consider him done, so will probably just cut that corner.

Word of warning, I scraped up the paint on my vibro-axe handled getting them on the hands, which was annoying to say the least, so be careful with your hard work!

Photos updated on 5 January (used my new "mirrorless" digital camera which gives very accurate colours):

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Let me know what you think! :arwen

Last edited:
Gotta give you credit for putting out an ambitious list to do. I like the paint apps and the clothing. I guess the only thing is he looks too clean? But you may not want to weather him, so it's just a personal preference in the end. Cool figure. :hi5:

Gotta give you credit for putting out an ambitious list to do. I like the paint apps and the clothing. I guess the only thing is he looks too clean? But you may not want to weather him, so it's just a personal preference in the end. Cool figure. :hi5:

I think it is leather parts and fur skirt are what is throwing it off. The pants actually have a lot of colour variation; it just does not show up in the photo. I tried some sanding and light grey washes on the shirt, but they are pretty subtle because the prop costume did not look all that dirty. I also weathered his helmet and axe with some brown washes that turned out nicely.

Basically this figure took a lot longer than expected, and reached a point like a thesis where I just wanted to abandon it in a semi-acceptable form and move on to something else. I will play around with the scrap leather and see what works and maybe go back to this. If someone has tips on weathering real leather at this scale, I would appreciate it.

This looks really good, nicely done. Klaatu is one of my favorites as well. I too used modded HT Predator hands on mine, nice. Great work on the chestplate. I also like all the details you added to the helmet. Good stuff.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Good job on Klaatu. I agree he looks too clean, but yes its a personal choice. :) Looking forward to your take on the royal guard. 9D9 is a new one. That will be interesting. Can't wait to see your progress.

This looks really good, nicely done. Klaatu is one of my favorites as well. I too used modded HT Predator hands on mine, nice. Great work on the chestplate. I also like all the details you added to the helmet. Good stuff.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Wow. A compliment from you means a lot to me. The customs from your and the Darkness Predator really inspired me to go the extra mile, like adding the leather lacing on the helmet.

Good job on Klaatu. I agree he looks too clean, but yes its a personal choice. :) Looking forward to your take on the royal guard. 9D9 is a new one. That will be interesting. Can't wait to see your progress.

I loved the EV-9D9 Kenner figure with the flapping mouth. It will be several months before I start, but I want to make her happen somehow.

I think it is leather parts and fur skirt are what is throwing it off. The pants actually have a lot of colour variation; it just does not show up in the photo. I tried some sanding and light grey washes on the shirt, but they are pretty subtle because the prop costume did not look all that dirty. I also weathered his helmet and axe with some brown washes that turned out nicely.

Basically this figure took a lot longer than expected, and reached a point like a thesis where I just wanted to abandon it in a semi-acceptable form and move on to something else. I will play around with the scrap leather and see what works and maybe go back to this. If someone has tips on weathering real leather at this scale, I would appreciate it.

I think everybody has had the experience of working on something so long that they just need a break. It's a great figure as is and I would be happy to have it on my shelf. I know a lot of customizers revisit figures over and over again, so I'm sure you'll get it to where you want it, if it isn't already there. In the end it's better for us because it means you'll be working on your next figure. :)

Wow. A compliment from you means a lot to me. The customs from your and the Darkness Predator really inspired me to go the extra mile, like adding the leather lacing on the helmet.

Well thanks for the kind words. I cant take all the credit, Duane's sculpts, accessories etc. really are wait make these customs pop. I just add my touch to them. :)

I think everybody has had the experience of working on something so long that they just need a break. It's a great figure as is and I would be happy to have it on my shelf. I know a lot of customizers revisit figures over and over again, so I'm sure you'll get it to where you want it, if it isn't already there. In the end it's better for us because it means you'll be working on your next figure. :)

This is so true. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten frustrated with a custom and said "to hell with it" only to go back to it after a break. I usually have a brainstorm or something that makes me go back to it.

None of my figures are ever "finished". I am always revisiting them, tweaking them and adding to them. Its easy to start new customs, it difficult to finally finish them. :)

This is so true. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten frustrated with a custom and said "to hell with it" only to go back to it after a break. I usually have a brainstorm or something that makes me go back to it.

None of my figures are ever "finished". I am always revisiting them, tweaking them and adding to them. Its easy to start new customs, it difficult to finally finish them. :)

Amen to that brotha!

So I ended up spending about two hours weathering the figure just to get it done. It is subtle, but improved it a lot, so thank you all for suggesting it. I just mixed raw umber acrylic with a tiny bit of water and diluted it with alcohol. I then lightly sanded it.

I also bulked up his midsection slightly, which improved how his fur sporran fits.

The new photos are with a different camera, which has a bit of lens distortion close-up, but much more accurate colours.

I'm working on a Daenerys Game of Thrones custom right now and slowly prepping my Emperor's Royal Guard pieces.

Can't wait to see what else you do Star, your customs always inspire me. Thread subscribed!

Thank you. That reminds me I need to post Jadzia Dax with the 3D comm badge I had printed.

Back