Star Ace James Dean...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some images I found online from eBay listings. Personally, it looks well below par. I'm happy to keep the Hot Toys ones for now. These are really underwhelming.

Here's a link for an unboxing of the horse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRMYGUBnVC8 s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (13).jpgs-l1600 (15).jpgs-l1600 (17).jpgs-l1600 (19).jpgs-l1600 (18).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (14).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 31
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    281 KB · Views: 31
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 28
  • s-l1600 (16).jpg
    s-l1600 (16).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 28
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 34
After seeing the initial prototypes of the Star Ace figures, I opted for the Infinite Studio 1:6 statue of Rebel/James Dean instead - the sculpt is not quite perfect either but better than Star Ace.

Star Ace has been a hit or miss company, mostly misses lately.

The problem that they change stuff during production. The hat was advertised as magnetic interchangeable (with hair pieces). The same happened with Vince sculpt and many other sculpts.
I see it as also dishonoring your customers. It's not a difference of prototype paint (and their paint can be much better), it's changing some features (completely).
I can't see why they still operate with their HT level prices and this attitude.

After seeing the initial prototypes of the Star Ace figures, I opted for the Infinite Studio 1:6 statue of Rebel/James Dean instead - the sculpt is not quite perfect either but better than Star Ace.

Star Ace has been a hit or miss company, mostly misses lately.

I find that Infinite Studio statue of James Dean to be quite poor personally. Especially considering the price range. The sculpt is weak, so is the paint, and the pose is not that definitive or cool. It just doesn't look like James Dean, neither does the Star Ace. 12 years later, the Hot Toys versions are still the best, and both likenesses on those aren't too great either, but at least there's a decent resemblance there. The James Dean statues released by Cuties in 1998 are ok too, better than these new ones. I don't understand these new releases by Infinite Studio and Star Ace, how can these be passed of as likenesses of the actor..

The problem that they change stuff during production. The hat was advertised as magnetic interchangeable (with hair pieces). The same happened with Vince sculpt and many other sculpts.
I see it as also dishonoring your customers. It's not a difference of prototype paint (and their paint can be much better), it's changing some features (completely).
I can't see why they still operate with their HT level prices and this attitude.

The Star Ace Rebel version I saw on eBay was around ?150/?160. Their figures always instantly drop in prices, because they just don't warrant the intial price tag. To be honest they're not even worth the secondary market price. Maybe ?80 is what i'd realistically value their quality at. Half the time their head sculpts look nothing like the actor/character. Just look at the Harry Potter line. Some of the likenesses they pass off are just ridiculous, especially Bellatrix, the upcoming McGonagall...

369AA12B-A10D-4282-B568-F7230053345A.jpeg
This arrived this week, overall I’m impressed with it. Loved the packaging they used, hat looks excellent and it’s a good likeness for Star Ace. Have no display space at the moment so boxed back up after looking it over. Dean is in the usual clamshell tray the horse is in foam.

I was intially not interested in getting this set, but managed to find the cowboy one with the horse at a very good price. In-hand it's not too bad, better than most recent Star Ace releases. The horse is pretty good, good detail. The Dean head sculpt is directly taken from the image of him squinting into the distance on the set of Giant. It's an average to decent attempt. It is, however, missing a lot of nuance in the sculpt.

Main issue of mine is that the figure doesn't look like it has a neck, so you have to take the peg out of the neck and have it just sit on top for it to look natural. Leave it on as normal, and it looks ike he's stooping from any angle. The jeans are also way too clean, and the boots do not have any sort of articulation. Aside from that, it's a decent figure. Nice sturdy joints. It does look pretty good with or on the horse. Packaging and artwork on the shipper and box for the most part is quite good. Not a huge fan of the big Dean portrait they opted for the artbox, but the images of the horse, and Dean on the director's chair for each of the shipping boxes, are quite well done.

I will ultimately be parting with the Dean figure and sticking to the Hot Toys version. This being mainly because I want to keep both my Hot Toys Dean's, and this Star Ace one just doesn't do enough to convince me to have a duplicate Giant version.

At this price-tag I think we need more than just a likeness, which is what Star Ace offers. If Hot Toys are charging roughly around $250 now, and Star Ace are asking for $220, then either their quality needs to improve, or their price need to go down. I would say their quality is only at $200 maximum, if not less.

I do wish another company would take on Dean, maybe Blitzway. Would really like a high quality Dean sculpt.

Last edited:
The issue with the neck is something many figures with a collared shirt have which is, unless they're pulled taught while they're tucked in, they'll ride up causing the no-neck look. I've learned as a rule of thumb to just go ahead to cut and sew a piece of elastic that's connected at the front and back of the shirt which holds the shirt in place. Not something you should have to do, but unfortunately many companies don't do this sort of thing at all. I found this out with my Sideshow 1/6 Joker which was suffering form the no-neck look and I have been fixing this on my figures with collared shirts ever since.

Back