SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I should have specified...I was talking about unhelmeted sculpt. Helmeted can be fine but as TonTon said, every other sculpt is fine with the helmet on.

Yeah I agree with you on that point. The unhelmeted sculpt is poor. But the helmeted sculpt is the best Hamill helmeted sculpt to date IMO. Try saying that after a few beers :lol

The thing about the likeness of the heads, I found that the eyes only look good from a lower angle, the reason for this is that they painted the eyes with too much iris above the pupil in between the top of the pupil and the bottom of the upper eyelid. This is what the eyes would look like if they're looking downward which is why they look okay from that angle, though in that position, the upper eyelids should also be lower. When most people look straight forward, there shouldn't be any gap in between the pupil and the upper eyelid.
So I think the paint of the eyes is what's really throwing off the likeness to Hamill. In the helmet with the visor down, the eyes of the helmeted head look better. The sculpts themselves are great IMO, they just need a eye repaint to really make these look better.

Glad folks like the pics but I love yours Indymos. Maybe I invest in a little camera as I phone is a bit crap for this. Not sure a go pro can do stills.

One thing I would say after some tool kept hounding my post on Facebook saying it was crap is that Sideshow are an American company and perhaps we should be a little more supportive. Be critical of course but just maybe keep in mind too that Hot Toys are an Chinese company. I think along with Ash, Sideshow are competing well here. Not winning but competing. :)

I think that's a great point Eamon, I'm sure sideshow have to work hard to even keep up with HT given the physical distance, language barrier etc. And there are things they do well or better sometimes like some of their belts, accessories etc. But the bottom line is that overall they can't even compete on this kind of figure which is going to need a new body etc to be acceptable. I wish they'd stick to what they're good at - aliens and background characters which HT won't touch, or beautiful diorama pieces like Yoda's Hut - and leave characters like this alone.

Btw thanks for the pics you posted! They were fine and any pics are always good.

screw the body swap, why not just put the jacket, boots and gloves on x-wing luke? I have neither figures otherwise i would try myself

Glad folks like the pics but I love yours Indymos. Maybe I invest in a little camera as I phone is a bit crap for this. Not sure a go pro can do stills.

One thing I would say after some tool kept hounding my post on Facebook saying it was crap is that Sideshow are an American company and perhaps we should be a little more supportive. Be critical of course but just maybe keep in mind too that Hot Toys are an Chinese company. I think along with Ash, Sideshow are competing well here. Not winning but competing. :)

Thank you Eamon, but I also take my pics with my iPhone. Good lighting is key to getting clear pics. I try to get the best lighting I can. Yours are also very nice!

I said earlier too, I think this figure displays as good as a HT. It's even more apparent in hand. I think Sideshow did a good job here overall.

With it being 2017, this figure deserves a "D+" grade. Too tall, average to below average presentation, and way overpriced.

Not everyone's cup of tea I guess. In person I easily say it compares to HT. Yes the headsculpt/paint isn't as good as it should be, it's a bit too tall, and it's overpriced considering what HT gives for less. But I'm happy with what we got here.

One thing that concerned me a little before I got the figure is that the hands would be oversized. In hand(no pun intended) it looks fine. I do wish they parted the bangs a little more on the unhelmeted head.

With it being 2017, this figure deserves a "D+" grade. Too tall, average to below average presentation, and way overpriced.

Someone obviously doesn't own one.

Overpriced? Probably. But it's an excellent figure in person, and pops among a Hot Toys collection.

Little tid bit for you guys, take with a grain of salt, but was in my LCS today and asked about my order (should be here this week) I mentioned the idea of sideshows ploy to wait list this fig and drum up sales just in casual conversation, owner tells me he tried to get one of these for a newish customer and his Sideshow rep told him it was no longer available. Now dealers have a pre order window of a month to order figs in, any thing after that is not guaranteed, however Sideshow is usually able to fill later orders, especially un hyped pieces like this, but the rep clarified that there simply were no more orders to be had for this guy. Im now thinking, and this is just my opinion, im thinking maybe the un explained price increase was due to the fact Sideshow produced less of these to avoid the burn of dead x wing luke stock? now that I think about it, it kind of makes sense and explains the drastic mark up, thoughts?

If the above is true SS has shot themselves in the foot. They should just concede and pass the license onto HT.

Little tid bit for you guys, take with a grain of salt, but was in my LCS today and asked about my order (should be here this week) I mentioned the idea of sideshows ploy to wait list this fig and drum up sales just in casual conversation, owner tells me he tried to get one of these for a newish customer and his Sideshow rep told him it was no longer available. Now dealers have a pre order window of a month to order figs in, any thing after that is not guaranteed, however Sideshow is usually able to fill later orders, especially un hyped pieces like this, but the rep clarified that there simply were no more orders to be had for this guy. Im now thinking, and this is just my opinion, im thinking maybe the un explained price increase was due to the fact Sideshow produced less of these to avoid the burn of dead x wing luke stock? now that I think about it, it kind of makes sense and explains the drastic mark up, thoughts?

Fear leads to scalping. Scalping leads to impulse purchasing. Impulse purchasing leads to an empty wallet and that sick feeling you get when a figure you paid through the nose for suddenly pops up at retail somewhere.

Fear leads to scalping. Scalping leads to impulse purchasing. Impulse purchasing leads to an empty wallet and that sick feeling you get when a figure you paid through the nose for suddenly pops up at retail somewhere.

haha. Too wise Master Yo-Day

Did receive my Exclusive Snowspeeder Pilot Luke this morning. Past the price issue, that got even worse with import and processing fees, height and paint app are certainly not up to the standard set by HT with their latest releases. Yet, once on shelf, it is not that far off HT realizations, especially when you take sculpting into account as HT Hamill interpretations are not spot on either.

Lacking skills to improve paint app, i decided to take a shot at the height issue. I first thought about swapping bodies but short Sideshow bodies are hard to come by lately. Then, while futzing the outfit, i realized this Luke was fitted with ankle extenders. So, after a couple hours work, i managed to solve that problem and get Luke back to his proper height.

Height comparison with X-Wing Pilot Luke

P1030986.JPG

P1030987.JPG

Ankle Pegs Extenders. Twist and pull to remove. You'll have to open up legs for them to come off.

P1030989.JPG

Dremeled off all matter up the ball joint.

P1030990.JPG

Cut old connector part so it fits back in the leg.

P1030991.JPG

Depending on how much matter you left on the connector, glue might be needed to secure the connector back in the leg.

P1030992.JPG

Now a perfect match to X-Wing Pilot Luke.

P1040006.JPG

And here next to Hoth Han.

P1040007.JPG

Back