SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hope they fix the hands on the proto pics. The hands/fingers look a bit rubbery to me on that close-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end I'll probably display him with the gloves on.
Hope SS don't screw this one up.

In the end I'll probably display him with the gloves on.
Hope SS don't screw this one up.

I remember seeing that comment repeatedly in the weeks and months before Han Hoth and Luke X shipped - and both had quite disappointing sculpt detail and paint apps, plus other issues like weird eyes (Han/Luke Hoth) or horrible hair (Luke X.) They were both critically important figs for SSC - both in terms of positioning themselves against HT, and validating their huge price jumps - and both failed in their headsculpts.

I'm getting this L:uke Snowsp fig, but honestly it's a foregone conclusion that the headsculpts are going to be noticeably sub-par in some way. While SSC's TOD Indy is the only SSC head in recent memory that came close to (though not quite equaling) HT quality overall, even it had noticeable QC issues in being 10-20% too small, and having a glaring gap on the hair/head join.

For reasons unknown Sideshow struggled and failed to fully bring their human headsculpt quality into the "modern era" - it's likely one of the reasons they are progressively exiting 1/6 SW figures - so based on what's happened in the past several major human fig releases, there's really no reason to believe this figure will be any different.

All I'm hoping for is "decent" sculpts like the unhatted Luke Hoth (at least something that looks great under the helmet, which the Luke X did,) and that they nail the outfit.

I think Sideshow did pretty well with their new Darth Maul but it wasn't a normal head sculpt. They just seem to lack consistent quality. I think the Hoth figures and the Red 5 figure were all built up by fans as Sideshow turning the corner to show what they can do in terms of a good sculpt that's on par or close to Hot Toys and they managed to fail on all those attempts. Same thing happened with their Snake Plissken. Their Indiana Jones recently wasn't bad but they did manage to make the head look too small for the body. I'd like this figure to be good and if it is I might buy it (though I don't know that I'll plunk down full price).

I planned to buy this for the jacket, everything else will be DX07 - HS, body and parts - plus anything from Luke x-wing that Hot Toys haven't made.

I remember seeing that comment repeatedly in the weeks and months before Han Hoth and Luke X shipped - and both had quite disappointing sculpt detail and paint apps, plus other issues like weird eyes (Han/Luke Hoth) or horrible hair (Luke X.) They were both critically important figs for SSC - both in terms of positioning themselves against HT, and validating their huge price jumps - and both failed in their headsculpts.

I'm getting this L:uke Snowsp fig, but honestly it's a foregone conclusion that the headsculpts are going to be noticeably sub-par in some way. While SSC's TOD Indy is the only SSC head in recent memory that came close to (though not quite equaling) HT quality overall, even it had noticeable QC issues in being 10-20% too small, and having a glaring gap on the hair/head join.

For reasons unknown Sideshow struggled and failed to fully bring their human headsculpt quality into the "modern era" - it's likely one of the reasons they are progressively exiting 1/6 SW figures - so based on what's happened in the past several major human fig releases, there's really no reason to believe this figure will be any different.

All I'm hoping for is "decent" sculpts like the unhatted Luke Hoth (at least something that looks great under the helmet, which the Luke X did,) and that they nail the outfit.

I don't get why SS aren't up to par with HT. They've been in the game for a while, but up until now SS has always disappointed me. I do wish they would get better. I'm not saying people should not like SS, but they can do a better job. Most of my SW collection was SS, I've sold most of them off and it's mainly HT.

Finger crossed for this one, come on SS you have the potential.

I don't get why SS aren't up to par with HT. They've been in the game for a while, but up until now SS has always disappointed me. I do wish they would get better. I'm not saying people should not like SS, but they can do a better job. Most of my SW collection was SS, I've sold most of them off and it's mainly HT.

Finger crossed for this one, come on SS you have the potential.

How I've wished it could have been different. If Sideshow had started to nail their headsculpts when most other major companies did (maybe 5 years ago) and they had positioned themselves as the $150-200 price range company, it would have been a dream come true.

They raised their prices too much (doubled, then tripled, then quadrupled their prices of ten years ago) and you can't do that when your headsculpts continue to be sub-par, and your bodies are not much better. I couldn't believe the ATAT driver body I got was still floppy and had rubbery-ratchet joints, and seems like the Jawa bodies are truly awful and outdated... on a $220 release.

I've been pretty loyal to SSC over the years but these days I won't buy without at least a $25 coupon, and even then I often pass. This Luke will be my last SSC fig (barring some major OT goodness surprise,) and I'm pretty depressed about that - but it is what it is. The quality/accuracy is way too inconsistent and the prices leave no room for "it's decent" - for $240-270, you better deliver in a big way and SSC just can't do it, no matter how hard they try.:(

I tend to be very reluctant to buy anything Sideshow until the final product is out and has been reviewed by a couple people. I want this and also really want the Han in carbonite (which is another case of a ridiculously over-priced piece) but just can't get myself to order either until a later point.

How I've wished it could have been different. If Sideshow had started to nail their headsculpts when most other major companies did (maybe 5 years ago) and they had positioned themselves as the $150-200 price range company, it would have been a dream come true.

They raised their prices too much (doubled, then tripled, then quadrupled their prices of ten years ago) and you can't do that when your headsculpts continue to be sub-par, and your bodies are not much better. I couldn't believe the ATAT driver body I got was still floppy and had rubbery-ratchet joints, and seems like the Jawas are truly awful and outdated... on a $220 release.

I've been pretty loyal to SSC over the years but these days I won't buy without at least a $25 coupon, and even then I often pass. This Luke will be my last SSC fig (barring some major OT goodness surprise,) and I'm pretty depressed about that - but it is what it is. The quality/accuracy is way too inconsistent and the prices leave no room for "it's decent" - for $240-270, you better deliver in a big way and SSC just can't do it, no matter how hard they try.:(

I couldn't agree with you more. SSC have been a letdown and I wish HT could do all of the SW figures.

Seems like its going that way anyway. All new SS figures seem to be fixed sculpts. What do they call them. Premium format figures.

Even their PFs look a bit outdated to me, with the complete lack of detail and skin texture on the headsculpts. For the price and with the sizes involved, you'd think you'd get something as detailed and realistic as a 1/6 HT figure. At least when it comes to the non-superhero figures like Rey or Jyn.

Even their PFs look a bit outdated to me, with the complete lack of detail and skin texture on the headsculpts. For the price and with the sizes involved, you'd think you'd get something as detailed and realistic as a 1/6 HT figure. At least when it comes to the non-superhero figures like Rey or Jyn.

I wonder if the Premium Format figures are the reason we haven't had any further releases of HT 1/4 scale figures after Boba Fett? So they don't compete with similarly scaled product by Sideshow?

But to me statues have that level of abstraction or artistic interpretation, whereas 1/6 figures always try to look like shrunken-down real people. Maybe that's just my perception though.

That's maybe the reason SSC has focused on the statues. So they don't have to compete on the ultra-realism scale of 1/6.

I would agree on some of their PFs, but when they go through the trouble of crafting ultra-detailed and accurate outfits out of fabric or leather for a human figure, it doesn't seem like they're just going for artistic interpretation there.

Some of their Premium Formats are nice looking. I actually just saw a review of the new Aquaman PF and think the sculpt looks nice for a Sideshow piece. Granted there wasn't a likeness but it looks decently painted and whatnot. In general I think their statues look better in all honesty.

I wonder if the local companies like HT, DiD and others, have the best factories locked down. Or maybe they get much better prices than Sideshow.
Maybe Sideshow and other foreign companies are simply blocked from the best talent, either through contract, or simply uncompetitive prices.

I've been toying with the idea of getting this figure. I like that it comes with two sculpts and I have a feeling - based on what SSC has put out recently - there's a strong chance that the sculpt is decent.

As with others, price is the problem. Need to swallow my pride to fork out full price for a SSC figure.

I've been toying with the idea of getting this figure. I like that it comes with two sculpts and I have a feeling - based on what SSC has put out recently - there's a strong chance that the sculpt is decent.

As with others, price is the problem. Need to swallow my pride to fork out full price for a SSC figure.

It's tricky - if they do nail the heads (say as well as SSC TOD Indy) then this figure will sell out even at that insulting, ridiculous price.

So it's kind of a double-edged sword.:lol

I find the body portions of the SS figures off in general. Arms too long, necks are off, I don't know they look deformed or maybe it's how the clothes fit

I find the body portions of the SS figures off in general. Arms too long, necks are off, I don't know they look deformed or maybe it's how the clothes fit

In so many releases, Sideshow's hands have been oversized (even ungloved hands like on TOD Indy.) Though some releases have underscaled hands - Tusken, Jawa and Biker Scout have all had slightly undersized hands compared to what they should be.

I would agree on the bodies, though the quality on the stock body has gotten closer to HT - Luke Hoth had a touch of the short torso/long arms thing that has come up a bit in SSC figs all the way back to #1 release, monkey-arms Luke Jedi.

The weapons have also gone undersized in some cases. Just got the Jawas and the guns at first glance look too a touch too small to me, just like the Biker Scout pistol was.

Back