SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the C-3PO debacle I'm not PO anything made by SS; I think the outfit looks great but I'll wait for in-hand pics and comments before I make a commitment or put down the cash.

Other than TOD Indy, they also haven't come close to HT in nailing the paint apps and finer sculpt detail. So the jury is still well and truly out on whether Indy was a freak occurence or the sign they can consistently nail heads from here on.

Like always, the likeness in this sculpt is good, but how the production head will look overall is a major question. Compared to the proto, the Luke X head was a baffling disappointment with pretty poor apps, poorly done eyes and Hasbro-level hair sculpt (even though head's fine displayed under the helmet.)

There are two different versions of the boots - insulated "fat" and "thin" - so technically, the DX07 boots would be accurate. They can be seen in studio shots. When Luke jumps into the snowspeeder (in studio) he's wearing the thin boots, but when he crashes (on location), they switch to the fat ones.

Yeah, the outfit in those behind the scenes photos don't like right to me, even its accurate for a quarter of the scenes or whatever. Looks like he's wearing Porkins suit or something.

Yeah, the outfit in those behind the scenes photos don't like right to me, even its accurate for a quarter of the scenes or whatever. Looks like he's wearing Porkins suit or something.

You mean you like the fat or thin boots?

What's weird is that the "thin" version Luke boots seen on Hoth are somewhat different again from the ones seen on Dagobah.:slap

If you think of those pics of collections where people have a hundred or so 1/6 figs in the Detolfs....

It's probably a good thing for us all. Hoarding is not a good thing. People with 300 dolls in 16 detolfs probably have too much.

Quality over Quantity.

I must say, friends of mine who were never too impressed with a 2007 Sideshow Star Wars doll have really been blown away by the Hot Toys efforts of the same. I'd say they were 10x...maybe even 15x more impressed. So maybe that should equate to the factor of .... not cost, but value.

:)

You mean you like the fat or thin boots?

What's weird is that the "thin" version Luke boots seen on Hoth are somewhat different again from the ones seen on Dagobah.:slap

Well the suit is baggy and then the boots are the thin ones. I like the Michelin man look. :lol

It's probably a good thing for us all. Hoarding is not a good thing. People with 300 dolls in 16 detolfs probably have too much.

Quality over Quantity.

I must say, friends of mine who were never too impressed with a 2007 Sideshow Star Wars doll have really been blown away by the Hot Toys efforts of the same. I'd say they were 10x...maybe even 15x more impressed. So maybe that should equate to the factor of .... not cost, but value.

:)

But again - the difference is 90% in the headsculpt. The rest is not that big of a jump in the ten years (accessories, armor, weapons, basic stand, packaging for the most part - not improved much at all really.)

Dunno - maybe the heads are worth that much more. In 2006 would people have shelled out $200 for a head from today - probably. They have had a massive jump in realism.

Well, except the Sideshow heads - which are unrealistic in different ways than they were ten years ago.:lol

And I think at last count I had maybe eighty 1/6 figs (only about 1/3 would be straight SSC/HT/Marmit/etc manufacturer bought though - most are customs, modded Hasbro, cobbled-together-from-parts figs) - so maybe I'm getting closer to Mr. Hoarder. I really need to shower less and stay in more.:rotfl

^^Make sure you wash the mustard off those sweatpants once in a while too.

I think the quality of the bodies/tailoring/accessories has jumped immensely as well. The old Luke Bespin plastic belt is a piece of ****e next to the pleather Bespin/Hoth or even the HT Tatooine belt which is largely plastic.

But again - the difference is 90% in the headsculpt. The rest is not that big of a jump in the ten years (accessories, armor, weapons, basic stand, packaging for the most part - not improved much at all really.)

I agree that I'm disappointed sometimes in the choice of material with the Star Wars figures, but you can't disregard that the tailoring has come a long ways from the early boxy cuts and generally poor tailoring and, yes, plastic belts and boots. Leia is a disastrous example because its mostly the same figure except for the head... but the more complex Marvel outfits are often really incredible works of art. Or look at HT Luke Bespin versus SS Luke Bespin.

... but the more complex Marvel outfits are often really incredible works of art.
Yeah, it's too bad SW didn't have crazy outfits like that. I'm amazed at a figure like Antman. SS couldn't do that in 2005 and likely couldn't do that today either.

^^Make sure you wash the mustard off those sweatpants once in a while too.

I think the quality of the bodies/tailoring/accessories has jumped immensely as well. The old Luke Bespin plastic belt is a piece of ****e next to the pleather Bespin/Hoth or even the HT Tatooine belt which is largely plastic.

:rotfl I bathe once a month without fail, bud. I usually combine it with the weathering wash if a figure outfit needs it - two in one shot.:clap

But yeah, older SSC outfits can be hit and miss. The old Luke Bespin, Leia and Han Bespin outfits are lackluster and outdated. But the SSC Han smuggler gunbelt is better than the newer Hoth ones and outfits like Praji/Piett, Rebel Commando, Luke Jedi and most of Boussh are close to what you'd get today. And the SSC bodies - yeah, they're better - but I've had so many bad ones in the past 3 or 4 years it's hard to say it's a huge improvement.

In all honesty, look at some of Hot toys earlier head sculpts from just a "few" (loosely) years ago. They were at the level of this figure. The boom...Its like the paint apps all of a sudden exploded into awesomeness shortly after. Maybe SS will catch up?!

Whats happening is that a "bright student" (SS) is getting over shadowed by a Einstein overachieving Marvin. (HT) If that analogy makes sense.

I agree that I'm disappointed sometimes in the choice of material with the Star Wars figures, but you can't disregard that the tailoring has come a long ways from the early boxy cuts and generally poor tailoring and, yes, plastic belts and boots. Leia is a disastrous example because its mostly the same figure except for the head... but the more complex Marvel outfits are often really incredible works of art. Or look at HT Luke Bespin versus SS Luke Bespin.

Yeah, those Marvel outfits are nuts (if they don't deteriorate that is...) but I only collect SW, Indy a few other one-offs, even though I like the Marvel movies.

People swapping out the HT Ben robe proves some of the SSC outfits work, and I am contemplating trying my Hasbro Luke farmboy tunic on the HT figure. And the HT sculpted puttees on Luke are inferior to the SSC fabric ones (the color is too different to use them though). But yeah, even though the HT ANH Han shirt's not great, that outfit is night-and day over the SSC one, same with Luke Bespin.

SSC varied a lot - I like the Lando outfit and Henry Jones clothing but the Belloq suit is pretty bad, as is the tissue paper ROTLA Indy shirt.

DarthIMpoor did a really nice job matching the SS leg wraps with the HT feet, but that takes more effort than just a parts swap. HT Han shirt doesn't bother me though.

It really seems like you have to cherry pick to find good parts from the old SS stuff.

In all honesty, look at some of Hot toys earlier head sculpts from just a "few" (loosely) years ago. They were at the level of this figure. The boom...Its like the paint apps all of a sudden exploded into awesomeness shortly after. Maybe SS will catch up?!

Whats happening is that a "bright student" (SS) is getting over shadowed by a Einstein overachieving Marvin. (HT) If that analogy makes sense.

Although the paint jobs seem to have peaked with the DX07. Pixelpiper mentioned that the farm boy Luke paint was inferior and when you compare them that's absolutely right. That's slightly scary that HT did a better paint job on a Luke three years ago.

Other than TOD Indy, they also haven't come close to HT in nailing the paint apps and finer sculpt detail. So the jury is still well and truly out on whether Indy was a freak occurence or the sign they can consistently nail heads from here on.

Like always, the likeness in this sculpt is good, but how the production head will look overall is a major question. Compared to the proto, the Luke X head was a baffling disappointment with pretty poor apps, poorly done eyes and Hasbro-level hair sculpt (even though head's fine displayed under the helmet.)

I actually thought the Rex 2.0 headsculpt paint application was hot toys quality. Let down only by the hair seam much like Indy was.

No, oil chart below... and the major supposed factor, China wages, have doubled plus a bit (25,000 CNY in 2007 to 55,000 CNY in 2015) - but have not gone up by three, four or five times.

Price-of-Oil-10-Year-Chart.jpg

Yeah, ummm I wasn't being serious there about the oil, hence the Family Fued reference and the big X at the end.:slap

Back