SSC Helmeted Cobra Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SS Facebook announcement G.I. JOE: Helmeted Cobra Commander

Doubt that there's a blade in the scepter. Sideshow has to appease the original Cobra Commander purchasers.

Thanks to whoever found the comics reference for the laser pistol. Job well done!

Still gonna use the "old school" laser pistol with him.... and hopefully put him in that ginchy "slide to the right" pose.

unyja7e4.jpg

(He puts his left hand in, he pulls his left hand out.....)

I wonder if the jacket can close more than one way... in some images the opening seems very much in the center, but others quite a bit to the side... enough so that it doesn't seem to be just the angle.

What's UP with the face plate?

High res images confirm that the Cobra emblem on the jacket is Photoshopped. So there isn't two different jackets in images.
And what the hell is up with this shot:
100134_press03.jpg

It looks like the helmet is oversized, maybe it's the original helmet model and the helmet in the other images is the accurate reduced helmet (items to be cast in plastic have to be made larger to compensate for shrinking in production). But who the hell looked at that and said "looks great, publish it!" ?

I'm a bit disappointed about the light amount of accessories. Seems a bit too light for the price. Maybe give him his original laser pistol, globe, Cobra flag with stand, a Mass device canister, something more to improve the value.

His helmet looks like a better Vader Helmet than SS's Vaders have come with.:rotfl

And he stole Han's Blaster :lol

It's actually a cool piece. I'm not a Joe collector, not RAH Joe anyway. I like mine form the Adventure team period personally.

Whoever thinks this looks good is clearly high. :monkey1...
Now that it's been pointed out, I'd agree that the helmet looks a little oversized and the photoshopped Cobra symbol is a little less polished than I at first supposed, but overall I still think it looks good. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the details of the character but from I remember of the comics and cartoon, he looks pretty cool. At the very least, I can see promise for this once it goes to production (much harder to see in their prototype Vader, by comparison).

Last edited:

High res images confirm that the Cobra emblem on the jacket is Photoshopped. So there isn't two different jackets in images.
100134_press03.jpg

"I see that your Swartz is as big as mine!" :lsvader

that being said, I orderd two :dunno:cuckoo:

Last edited:

Ordered. He looks great. Excited to see how they improved on Baroness. If she looks great, she will be mine too.

Now that it's been pointed out, I'd agree that the helmet looks a little oversized and the photoshopped Cobra symbol is a little less polished than I at first supposed, but overall I still think it looks good. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the details of the character but from I remember of the comics and cartoon, he looks pretty cool. At the very least, I can see promise for this once it goes to production (much harder to see in their prototype Vader, by comparison).

Nah, overall, Dork Helmut is lame. The helmet looks awful and bulbous. The faceplate is a total fail. Doubly so since they bullseyed the Viper's (does CC have 2 chins tucked in there?!). The wrinklyassed outfit looks like it was tailored by Groovy. The body makes him look anorexic with those gloves. They cheated the pants, not including the stirrups like the source material. A small detail but it would've been an instant hit to CC's fans. Apparently the new "IN" for Sideshow's production department is, "Now look at the original design. Now how can we halfass this?"

Additionally, this outfit looks like it might be faux suede. If that's the case, maybe it's time to stop using Kato. The Michael Jackson Crimson Guard and now suede commander are a little too "flamboyant" for essentially a military line. That's not a poke at Kato's sexuality, it is his horrid choice of fabrics.

All that said, I have him ordered and am reeeeeeeeeeeally hoping they just showed this before it was ready and that mods will be made to fine tune him before release. Otherwise, looking at Vader and now CC, it seems Sideshow's putting all their attentions into DC and letting their other 1:6 lines suffer.

Hmmmmm..... There seems to be something really off with his faceplate.

too iconic of a character not to get. That said, I will port him over to a TT and shorten the neck. Other than that, I hope to be able to untuck the pants from inside the boots to give it a more accurate look. Hope these mods will improve the fig. I also hope SS does some re-work on the helmet for the production piece.

Helmet is complete sheeeeeit.

It looks like the helmet is oversized, maybe it's the original helmet model and the helmet in the other images is the accurate reduced helmet (items to be cast in plastic have to be made larger to compensate for shrinking in production). But who the hell looked at that and said "looks great, publish it!" ?

And yeah, that image is hella photo chopped. Seems like there's more than one head with face plate and helmet. :lol

Helmet is complete sheeeeeit.

It's strange; it does, and does not. So I guess looking at him eye level he looks cool, as so;

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/100134_press04.jpg
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/100134_press06.jpg
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/100134_press02.jpg

Then in that photo chopped image it's like awful. :(

100134_press03.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed about the light amount of accessories. Seems a bit too light for the price. Maybe give him his original laser pistol, globe, Cobra flag with stand, a Mass device canister, something more to improve the value.

I ordered one, hoping that whoever's smoking the crack at Sideshow gets some rehab before they release this one. And what's up with that stitching at the shoulder on the right arm? Really?

Back