SSC drops ES on 2 Marvel PFs...more to come?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices need to be $300 again and that's all there is to it. But I really like the Thor. Daredevil I didn't pre order. Hate the base, hate the pose, Doom I didn't pre order yet. It's not fantastic but I need the character. It's base sucks, I think everyone agrees. But yeah basically they need to get better.

BUT I also strongly disagree with Edition Sizes altogether. I just want good looking statues that can be purchased at anytime. Made upon order? I'm fine with that.

Prices need to be $300 again and that's all there is to it. But I really like the Thor. Daredevil I didn't pre order. Hate the base, hate the pose, Doom I didn't pre order yet. It's not fantastic but I need the character. It's base sucks, I think everyone agrees. But yeah basically they need to get better.

BUT I also strongly disagree with Edition Sizes altogether. I just want good looking statues that can be purchased at anytime. Made upon order? I'm fine with that.

If you don't like the doom, don't settle for it. That is why the prices are climbing. People just saying, "**** it I need the character"

If you don't like the doom, don't settle for it. That is why the prices are climbing. People just saying, "**** it I need the character"
I agree. I wouldn't settle for a sculpt I didn't like regardless of the character. However, I love that modern Thor (even though the EX is lame) and really dig the new Doom PF (even though the base is too plain). I'm very much looking forward to adding both pieces to my collection. That DD PF on the other hand...I'm not a fan of it at all. That character is more than popular enough to move a 1000 pieces. Especially since there isn't another 1/4 scale DD out there. At least Thor and Doom have been released in 1/4 scale before so I can understand an overall smallish ES for those pieces.

IMO, what it really boils down to is SSC is struggling with their Marvel license. I only collect Marvel and DC merch. I have zero complaints with their DC line. I don't even care about the bloated ES that is common with the line because most of the DC merch looks fantastic. SSC really needs to step it up with their Marvel pieces.

Well with too many ***** trying to sell the old one for three grand I don't have much choice ha. Plus custom bases aren't too hard come by.

I dont buy based on ES but I think it's necessary in collectibles. People's tastes change, financial situations change, space is limited for most of us. Reselling stuff is part of the culture. If every piece was made for order, you would never be able to sell ANYTHING unless you sold it for like half price. SSC had it perfect when their ES's were manageable to give us proper QC but still low enough to retain value for resale. If they can keep ESs to the point where you can just break even on the majority of statues, I am fine with that. Profit is always nice but I just want to be able to sell something for what I paid for it just in case I have to.

I used to order 90% of sideshow's 1/4 releases averaging 3.5 statues a month. Nowadays it's around 1 statue every couple months. My last preorder was swimming thor PF ex I think and i cancelled that too with xm thor on the horizon. Just got tired dealing with all their crap with qc, es, price increases etc.. You can only take so much before wondering why you paying $400+ a pop to buy frustration...

With pcs xm arh and also GG 1/4 now, there is no shortage for me to spend my money.

agree with most everyone here, things have changed sooo much over the years (to be expected) but it hasn't been for the best

Don't really care for ES.

Bought /PO the superman, batman, WW, etc..... if they drop those ES, more power to us ... otherwise, meh.... no biggie.

Well, it looks like SSC is dropping the overall ES on their Dr Doom PFs. The EX went from 1500 to 1000 pieces and supposedly the REG dropped from a run of 3000 to 2000. Not long before this announcement, SSC dropped the ES on the EX modern Thor PF from 1000 to 750. Do peeps think they are done? I think they may even drop the ES on the EX Daredevil PF next. That piece doesn't seem to be moving very well for them either.

I'm curious as to why SSC has decided to cut the ES of these 2 pieces. In the case of Doom...it was a drastic cut. It's hard to believe they overestimated the ES so badly. With a TBD ES put up at the time of PO (so they can gauge demand) and the long length of time to set an ES (usually a few months at least), you'd think SSC wouldn't have to go back and shorten the ES on their merch. That's 2 Marvel PFs in a short amount of time that have had their edition sizes shortened. More to come? Have we finally hit the wall with the bloated edition sizes SSC seems to putting out or is this something else? Is it simply a matter of the lack of effort SSC puts into it's Marvel line finally coming back to bite them on the rear? IMO, their Marvel offerings have been nothing but hit or miss for a long time now. Not to mention, SSC finally has a legit competitor in the 1/4 game who is setting a high standard with their releases. What do you peeps think is going on?

Don't forget the surprise 250 EX on the Movie Thor.
Looks like it's the only way to shift some of their recent offerings.

Then there's the Iron Man that went 1,000 → 2,000 → 3,000 in a matter of days.

They need to stop playing games with ES, Open Edition, fake sellout & WL and concentrate on producing a final product worthy of our $£€.

only edition size that shocked me was Harley Quinn, and Emma Frost (as of late).

My preorders thus far fall in the range of 500-750 for the EX with the exception of Wonder Woman and Catwoman which are anomalies as well.

I think this can only be a good thing. Maybe they finally came to their senses and realized that they are producing too much product than they can handle. Everything is so damn delayed now they just can't meet deadlines with any type of realism. Maybe they realized they were having QC issues and want to tighten up ship. Maybe they see what competitors are doing and want to follow back in line to compete with them.

In the end, whatever the decision for the choice is I think it can only help everyone. Them and us. We get smaller edition sizes, maybe better QC, maybe better artistic direction. They get back in some collectors good graces, fix their QC department, get back to meeting expected deadlines and shipping dates, etc.

I like the move.

Plus I think Doom is awesome and I have him ordered already. Thor too. Daredevil....not yet, waiting on points. I think I'll get him for free. Never thought in a million years I'd be forced to say that on a 1/4 PF as he's my favorite comic character and before his preview I would've bought him sight unseen.

Too many unsold stocks in their warehouse probably. Hence the lower ES

Wow just saw this thread! My favorite thread! Thank you SS I love smaller ES sizes. I buy buy more :). Thank you SS!

Jean Grey Ex, Emma EX, and Thor EX all went to Waitlist this week. I was going to sign up for the payment plans tonight too. I am shocked so many statues went to WL the same week. I was only watching these three, I am sure other did too.

I was surprised to see the waitlists happen this week too--though I'm sure if you jumped on the waitlist it would convert for each one.

I was surprised to see the waitlists happen this week too--though I'm sure if you jumped on the waitlist it would convert for each one.

I agree they will convert right away, I just wanted to do the flex pay. I wonder if any of these three pieces will go off of Wait List like others have in the past.......

Back