SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that really love he burton films, a question. When was the last time yours at down completely sober, and watched those two films, back to back?

For those that really love he burton films, a question. When was the last time yours at down completely sober, and watched those two films, back to back?

June 19th of this past summer at AMC Waterfront 22 Theaters.

They had a double feature of Batman and Batman Returns (originally it was just Batman, they added Returns last minute). Batman seats were packed and sold out.

They'll have the original Robocop there in Feburary, I'll be seeing that as well.

batmankillscrooks.jpg

To be fair, that's not actually Batman. That's Tommy Carma, a cop who idolized Batman and went off the deep end when his family was killed, then began impersonating Batman and killing criminals.

To be fair, that's not actually Batman. That's Tommy Carma, a cop who idolized Batman and went off the deep end when his family was killed, then began impersonating Batman and killing criminals.

See, this is one of the reasons I enjoy reading these threads. I have never heard of tommy carma or that storyline all together. Thanks for the info :D

I like blue and gray Batman best, as well, but would have preferred this guy to have the yellow oval on his chest.

Absolutely stunning. Like an Alan Davies panel come to life.

Ordered!!!!!!
Nah. For that, he needs hands where the middle and ring fingers are stuck together.

I can understand why some people don't like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2ME08hncw
Anyone who doesn't like Brave and the Bold has no soul. And can GTFO of here.

Haha either way, never knew of it, and now I know to stay the eff away from it.

The thing about mid-80's Batman comics is that they were almost universally terrible. Before The Killing Joke and DKR came out, it was like there was a competition to see who could write the worst Batman stories within DC. After '86 it all started to change, but the dead zone from the late '70s up to then was just awful. They were stuck between trying to embrace the appetites for more mature, gritty stories and sticking to the campy stuff that had been popular for decades.

That being said, good lord would I pay some money for a 1/6 Jim Aparo Batman.

EDIT: OH! And Norm Breyfogle!

Speaking of Alan Davis and Jim Aparo, I really enjoyed the Batman and the Outsiders comics from the mid-80s, which eventually transformed into the Outsiders when Batman left. There was a cool nod to that run in the Brave and the Bold animated series.

I like blue and gray Batman best, as well, but would have preferred this guy to have the yellow oval on his chest.

Yup.

Had they put the yellow oval symbol and maybe got rid of the butt cheek brows it would have been a real winner.

It's like they're straddling too hard on the realistic, idealized side and a straight up comic look. I don't think it would have killed this figure if the features and headsculpt were a little less defined and more subtle like the comics it represents.

It's like they're straddling too hard on the realistic, idealized side and a straight up comic look.
This is what they have been doing with the GI Joe line from the beginning, with varying levels of success (Zartan = success; Destro = massive failure). As far as those attempts by SSC have gone, Batman ain't too bad.

As far as this figure goes, while it definitely has its merits, i.e. being the only damn 1/6 comic Batman out there (I don't count Medicom), to me it feels like SSC's heart just flat out isn't in 1/6 anymore and they just have the license so no one else will. Their GI Joe line, which I was a massive fan of, just looks and feels cheap now, and everything I've seen out of their DC line continues that trend. I'm not really feeling anything at all for this one.

As far as this figure goes, while it definitely has its merits, i.e. being the only damn 1/6 comic Batman out there (I don't count Medicom), to me it feels like SSC's heart just flat out isn't in 1/6 anymore and they just have the license so no one else will. Their GI Joe line, which I was a massive fan of, just looks and feels cheap now, and everything I've seen out of their DC line continues that trend. I'm not really feeling anything at all for this one.

huh?
It seems like they're getting back into it to me.
Alot of the stuff they've been doing recently is pretty impressive.

Their stuff is good, it just isn't up to Hot Toys quality. So folks can talk about getting an extra head or accessory for less than a more basic HT figure, but there are real tradeoffs in the paintwork, quality of materials, and body used. I wouldn't go so far as to say SSC isn't really interested in their 1/6 stuff anymore though, as their erratic quality and QC issues affect their bread and butter--statues--as well. You just have to accept a tradeoff in quality, and maybe justify paying more than you feel you should, to get characters and franchises that HT doesn't go after.

those pics make me miss the neck cowl more, I wish sideshow would fix that, I personally love this guy and will be giving him a darker grey jumpsuit with oval crest he has everything else I need. I jst want them to fix the neck to save me that headache since a jumpsuit is and easy fix.

if it was hot toys quality with the 3 heads it would be like a $250 item I don't want him being that high to buy. so I have money left over for superman. I'm making Wonder Woman I just got her metal in last month just looking for options for lasso so. Im only waiting for a body and lasso and I'm ready to go.

Last edited:
I love it when people that hate on the Burton stuff go out of there way to venture into a thread just to hate on it. Makes perfect sense. :cuckoo: I may not be a big Nolan fan, but I don't think I'd ever feel the need to pop into a discussion just to say bad things about them. Seems silly.

The Burton films hold up quite well in my opinion... Much better than films that tie themselves to a certain time period and realistic setting, that's for sure. They are true comic book movies- You are in a fictional world with very little reference to ground you to a certain place or period. When I watched it in '89, I never thought it was actually taking place in 1989... and I have felt the same about it since. It has its own time.

As for the poor pacing comment... I am sorry, but that is just silly. I can't think of a single scene in either Burton film that isn't driving the plot along in some way.... whereas I can think of whole sequences that can be dropped from many modern comic films entirely that add absolutely nothing to the plot. Many of these modern day films feel like riding in a car with a clutch going out, with a herky-jerky pace that jumps around from one somewhat pointless plot point to another... forcing me to sometimes scratch my head and go "wait... what is this doing for the movie again?". I have never felt that way about Batman or Batman Returns.

Sallah

Last edited:
Back