SSC 1/6 scale environments

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they factor, but if you're saying $50 is a good price for something cast in cheap plastic than thats a rip off too. Like I said somewhere else, any company like Mattell or Toy Biz or Hasbro could cast this in ABS for $5. You're willing to pay $50 for $5 plastic?

I thought the benefit of Sideshow vs those companies is better materials. I'll stick by saying SSC could have priced this exact same polystone item for $50-$60 and made a good profit by selling a bigger quantity of them.

You are viewing this all wrong. Sideshow is not Hasbro, Mattel, Toy Biz, etc... and it has nothing to do with materials used. It has to do with craftsmanship, attention to detail, and production mass.

Sideshow are a direct-market company that deals straight to diehard collectors. Their items are all limited editions and made in far, far, far fewer numbers than any major toy licensee.

Part of MFG 101 is the more items produced, the cheaper they cost per unit. What Hasbro could make and offer for $10 would probably cost Sideshow at least 2-3 times that, because Sideshow wouldn't and couldn't produce that particular product in the hundreds of thousands or millions like Hasbro does. But Sideshow's product would also likely be better and more detailed because of that more limited run and more intimate production process.

You're right that SSC is about making more detailed product, but added carving detail doesn't turn a $5 casted piece of plastic into a $50 item. Part of their pricing involves making the item out of material you wouldn't find on a $3 fleamarket Chinese import lasergun. Thats where the polystone comes in. I think polystone is one of the few redeeming aspects of these items.

That said, they're still grossly overpriced. As a buyer, I don't give SSC a break because they don't produce in quantity. SSC has already proven that they'd rather price themselves up and eliminate customers than price themselves to create customers. SSC could put themselves in a position to sell more than 200 of these if they wanted to.

You're right that SSC is about making more detailed product, but added carving detail doesn't turn a $5 casted piece of plastic into a $50 item. Part of their pricing involves making the item out of material you wouldn't find on a $3 fleamarket Chinese import lasergun. Thats where the polystone comes in. I think polystone is one of the few redeeming aspects of these items.

That said, they're still grossly overpriced. As a buyer, I don't give SSC a break because they don't produce in quantity. SSC has already proven that they'd rather price themselves up and eliminate customers than price themselves to create customers. SSC could put themselves in a position to sell more than 200 of these if they wanted to.

If you saw the Boba PF in person, you'd have a better understanding of what Irish is talking about. Besides, just because materials cost $5 doesn't mean the final product should. That doesn't make any sense. :lol It takes more than $5 to get from this:

3266692163_84458ba426.jpg

to this:
screencapturez.png

Let alone get it to the company proper and to your doorstep. :huh

Last edited:
For something that doesn't have any licensing requirements the price seems awful high especially for the lack of features. I guess a low production number would make sense of the price tag but its going to be a difficult sale with a lot of collectors I think.

Back