SS EPII Obi Wan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Who's waiting for an Episode II Obi Wan?

Well, I bought Clone-Obi off the bay just before this was leaked. So, I have already ripped it apart for a EP II Obi. We'll see how it turns out tonight!
:)

I'm willing to forgive SS for this kitbash this time, only because I have wanted an ATOC Obi-Wan and the CW Obi-Wan head sculpt is so awesome that I don't mind it being reused. However, I don't want to see SS get lazy and become Hasbro by kitbashing everything. I went down that road with Hasbro and now I am sitting on tons of figures that I no longer want and can't get rid of. I won't go down that road with SS - "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." I do hope that this is a once per year occurance at most (with the exception of clone troops - I think we can expect to see those molds reused like crazy). With the economy as crappy as it is right now, everyone should expect more for their money, not less and this one is definitely less. I hope this does not become a regular practice for SS. Honestly, I expect more from a higher end collectible company like SS than a mass producing toy company like Hasbro.

If most of the parts, molds and patters are already done, why not kitbash and release a figure?

The original picture exclusively for SS freak here.

2173_press01.jpg

Forbiddenplanet international now has this photo up on its preorder page

I guess i'm just missing the point on why to do it in the first place.

There're any number of reasons. One being to make a custom 1:6 scale Sideshow Clone Trooper (cheaper than Medi and the armor's arguably nicer). There's also the fact that customizers might want to distress it and that's easier to do to the pieces individually rather than ON the figure, etc....

If most of the parts, molds and patters are already done, why not kitbash and release a figure?
Fair enough, but not so soon after releasing the original figure. If they released this 7 or 8 figures down the line, fair play, but this has come straight after the other Obi Wan.

Whilst you can accept it for a $8 figure, when they except you to pay $80-$90 for it, they are taking the piss somewhat.

Seriously? A white tunic? It should be grey. Oh well. I am not going to cry too much since dying it to be the right color won't be too hard to do.

I think it comes down to the lighting of the film, but putting the figure against photos of EP2 Obi-Wan, looks pretty close to dead on to me. I put a faint red line around 2 sides of the figure snippet so you can see the color blend against the real photo on the other 2 sides. I think this tunic came out more distinct from white than the ROTS tunic, and it looks on the thicker side, more like SDCC Vader's tunic. I still may end up glad I got a second Clonobi to make Ep2 Obi-Wan, if this is a Buck figure with sculpted neck, then there could be totally different paint app quality to it and not necessarily good, at least I have a head painted to a quality I'm quite happy with. Plus I can get poseability keeping him on the True Type, I'll probably get this Ep2 figure for parts.

EP2OWK.jpg

Very disappointing release in my opinion, crys out of cashing in, at a time when people are going to want more value for their dollar.:banghead

Cashing in? Or made for the fans? I think it was fairly obvious most of us were extremely happy with the headsculpt but wanted an Obi from Ep. II. One could argue it's a little of both and as for the price, well, we really won't know until Friday. I don't see it being any more than Aayla or Ki.

I think you'll find I said it was on the buck first :D

Well, if ya did, ya did. I'm all out of brownie buttons and really don't remember saying that I said it first, just that I thought it would be on the buck.

Thanks for that Sean. This color thing is a complex scientific issue. :lol

I think it comes down to the lighting of the film, but putting the figure against photos of EP2 Obi-Wan, looks pretty close to dead on to me. I put a faint red line around 2 sides of the figure snippet so you can see the color blend against the real photo on the other 2 sides. I think this tunic came out more distinct from white than the ROTS tunic, and it looks on the thicker side, more like SDCC Vader's tunic. I still may end up glad I got a second Clonobi to make Ep2 Obi-Wan, if this is a Buck figure with sculpted neck, then there could be totally different paint app quality to it and not necessarily good, at least I have a head painted to a quality I'm quite happy with. Plus I can get poseability keeping him on the True Type, I'll probably get this Ep2 figure for parts.

EP2OWK.jpg

Thanks for that Sean. This color thing is a complex scientific issue. :lol

Not a problem, believe me, I've had the conception it leans more towards the grey too. A lot of AOTC it looked that way, on Kamino and in Padme's appartment, even at times on Geonosis, but most of the promos and some parts of the film, it is more like the ROTS color. Depending on how this looks in hand, I might get a tunic from TA to replace ROTS Obi-Wan. I like how it looks on the figure, but it's a bit thin and could stand to be a bit more off white.

Is this thing really legit?

If so, glad I passed on clone-obi. I'd rather have a movie version Obi.

Is it the same headsculpt as Trev's clobe-obi? They wouldn't just reuse it, right?

It is legit, and if it really is shipping in December, very exciting for me. I know lots of folks will be feeling the rerelease thing and maybe the overpricing or the frustration of having gotten Clonobi not expecting this and now wishing they hadn't, but I'm an Obi-Wan nut so this is great news for me.

They need to give is the 2 finger pointing hand he did in ep III.

Is it the same headsculpt as Trev's clobe-obi? They wouldn't just reuse it, right?

It's the same sculpt, makes most sense, they were making the heads and painting them already for Clonobi, they likely just pushed another 3000 more through.

They need to give is the 2 finger pointing hand he did in ep III.

If it's a Buck figure, sure, if it's a Pro, doesn't do much good, he didn't do it in Ep 2 and you probably can't use Pro hands on Buck bodies.

So weird to release this so quickly on the heels of receiving the other. But it's not like SS doesn't have a habit of doing this.

But it's good for me, I only have the one ROTS Obi...and he's kind of obsolete these days with where the sculpting has taken us.

So I guess, like Luke, we can expect Ep 1 Obi for January. :)

The original picture exclusively for SS freak here.

2173_press01.jpg

It's the same sculpt, makes most sense, they were making the heads and painting them already for Clonobi, they likely just pushed another 3000 more through.

That's just wrong.

With every new incarnation of a character, they at least give us a new headsculpt -- even Yavin Luke and Tatooine Luke were diff and they could have used the same sculpt.

I call bull^^^^ on this one if its true. And if its true, then the price better be back to $49.99 because of all the bashed materials.

That's just wrong.

With every new incarnation of a character, they at least give us a new headsculpt -- even Yavin Luke and Tatooine Luke were diff and they could have used the same sculpt.

I call bull^^^^ on this one if its true. And if its true, then the price better be back to $49.99 because of all the bashed materials.

I'm GUESSING it's legit considering both websites (Forbidden Planet and Simply Toys) have the pic up. And I'm GUESSING the price will be $69.99. I don't mind the re-use of the head sculpt. God knows, it could be much much worse. This head sculpt is spot-on. However, I agree that the price should be back to $49.99. I mean, if they are doing it for the fans as some have suggested, that would be a great perk for fans as well. I honestly don't see it happening though.

Back